• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Adrian Martinez will we see this year?

"on a scale of 1-10 (2018: 8, 2019: 4) what level of performance will we see from #2AM in 2020"

• Total voters
I thought 7 was being optimistic, and that's not an insult to AM. A 9 or 10 to me is a Tommie Frazier or Turner Gill type of player performance.
Here's my thoughts:
2018: 7
2019: 5
2020: 7 (And I would be very happy about this)

While some of his stats aren't too far off from 2018 to 2019 I wonder about accuracy. It seemed, at least to me, that last year he was just off frequently where in 2018 he was more fluid and decisive. Does QBR account for accuracy? I cringed watching JD and Wandale have to make some of those acrobatic catches and then get blown up because of ball placement. Regardless of what people think about JD, he laid his body on the line for the team tons of times.

Yes, I realize the results last year were on the whole team and not just AM, and that a lot of that could have resulted in what we were seeing from him last year on top of being injured. His performance is part of the equation though and I think there were plays, especially in the latter half of the year , where he had adequate snaps and protection where he was just off on his passes or hesitated to run when parts of the field looked like they parted like the red sea.

More interested in Scott Frost's improvement in managing all factors within his control. I voted 7.

I don’t think Martinez will be the starter by game three. He isn’t going to have the luxury of playing bad like he did last year. He comes out flat and plays flat a few games in a row it will be Martinez who?

I think that is where we set expectations too high. To believe missing one pass is the difference in winning or losing in several games. Missing a block can do the same thing. Or dropping a pass or not running the right route. Maybe a running back reading the wrong hole or a bad snap upsetting the timing. And then we have the other side of the ball where a missed tackle, filling the wrong gap, or over reacting to a play causes a TD and is the difference in winning or losing. Way too many point the fingers at something they want to blame only on the QB. Poor passes happen. We see it every game. In fact almost 1/3 or every QB's passes are poor passes.
All true. But the QB has the ball every down. If he’s not on it’s unlikely the team will perform well against better teams. He’s the key in this offense. He’s not the guy handing off to 5 star Joe Bama RB 25 times a game.

Last edited:

All true. But the QB has the ball every down. If he’s not on it’s unlikely the team will perform well against better teams. He’s the key in this offense. He’s not the guy handing off to 5 star Joe Bama RB 25 times a game.
I agree and yet still try to keep perspective. While there is only one ball there are 11 components to the offense. More often the success of that play is dependent on all 11. Bad snaps, penalties, missed blocks, poor routes, dropped balls and fumbles probably out number poorly thrown passes as drive killers by at least double.

you guys are quite a bit more optimistic than I would have guessed - majority thinking he'll be as good or better* than he was as a freshman.

I'm going to have a hard time believing that last year was just a bad episode and not a downward trend until I see otherwise
I don't know what the texas you were looking at. He was clearly not 100% last year, which has been backed up by HCSF, AM2, and others. He would have spent more time on the bench if we'd had a healthy, experienced alternative. But depth sucked last year in most areas.

I'm going to have a hard time believing your posts aren't on a downward trend until I see otherwise.

I hope you're right

but I'm afraid that you're right

I agree decision making and accuracy in the throwing game (especially the should-be-easy throws on swing, screen, and short) are big big hurdles for #2AM. If he can't improve in those areas, and doesn't recover the lightning quickness he showed in 2019, then we will see #7LM
Swing pass execution was not AM's fault.

Wholly texas, I wonder what you people are watching!

The way SF is talking AM may not be a clear #1. Husker fans will be calling for LM if AM struggles. IMO if AM can find his freshman form he can lead this team. If 2019 AM shows up I think SF will bring LM off the bench pretty early in the season. Nothing to lose in 2020...might as well see what he's capable of.

I voted 7 because that's about where I have his past performances averaging out- some really good and some not as good. I would like to see him become a more vocal and obvious leader of the offense who can throw the offense on his back and will them to a win in the 4th quarter.

you guys are quite a bit more optimistic than I would have guessed - majority thinking he'll be as good or better* than he was as a freshman.

I'm going to have a hard time believing that last year was just a bad episode and not a downward trend until I see otherwise

I rewatched NU-Iowa from last year. AM and the offense was very anemic. We gotta have better out of AM and the OL.

AM looked lethargic trying to run. Hope he trimmed down, and is faster.

Geez...you guys are a tough crowd. As disappointing as last season was.....

that team was so very...VERY close to 7-5...a little luck or ball bounces...8-4

and it was a COMBINATION.

Hi snaps
Abominable kicking game...just AWFUL
Bad special teams play...really bad...
Drive killing false starts at exactly the wrong moment
bad play calling especially in the Red Zone
Defense FINALLY gets a stop on a 3rd and long only to have a remarkably stupid penalty
Poor pass protection for the QB when it mattered most
Some slow or bad decisions on Adrians part
Missed some open receivers...again Adrians fault
pretty much Awful Linebacker play
And some absolutely atrocious clock management by the HC

Adrian was one factor...sure. and his play was “not as good as last year” certainly. But you guys act like he was the SOLE problem

I mean this team made extra points an adventure, punts an edge of your seat experience and chip shot field goals a desperate almost unobtainable hope

Eliminate just one of those bad areas I mentioned above and the team goes to a bowl...
Eliminate a couple and they are 7-5

Adrian doesn’t have to be GREAT....he just needs to be good and maybe a shade better than last year. The TEAM needs to be better and HE will automatically be better.

Hell, just eliminate the high snaps and give him as much protection as he had in 2018 And I Guarantee his stats and your opinion of him would be MUCH better.

This is a tough call. For those of us outside the program, the status of his progress is a black box. He'll be better than a 4 simply based on his health and presumably better O-Line play. Can he regain his 2018 swagger? I'm still not convinced he has the ability to take it to the next level and become that "quick blinker" we're hoping for, but I certainly hope he proves me wrong. Went with 7 on the scale of 10.

The way SF is talking AM may not be a clear #1. Husker fans will be calling for LM if AM struggles. IMO if AM can find his freshman form he can lead this team. If 2019 AM shows up I think SF will bring LM off the bench pretty early in the season. Nothing to lose in 2020...might as well see what he's capable of.
Agree with this (though I think AM is the clear #1 for OhSU). We didn't have the luxury in 2019 of a reliable backup, so we were stuck with subpar performance. AM and LM are pushing each other this year. If one of them is not getting it done, the other will be there to light a spark.

Geez...you guys are a tough crowd. As disappointing as last season was.....

that team was so very...VERY close to 7-5...a little luck or ball bounces...8-4

and it was a COMBINATION.

Hi snaps
Abominable kicking game...just AWFUL
Bad special teams play...really bad...
Drive killing false starts at exactly the wrong moment
bad play calling especially in the Red Zone
Defense FINALLY gets a stop on a 3rd and long only to have a remarkably stupid penalty
Poor pass protection for the QB when it mattered most
Some slow or bad decisions on Adrians part
Missed some open receivers...again Adrians fault
pretty much Awful Linebacker play
And some absolutely atrocious clock management by the HC

Adrian was one factor...sure. and his play was “not as good as last year” certainly. But you guys act like he was the SOLE problem

I mean this team made extra points an adventure, punts an edge of your seat experience and chip shot field goals a desperate almost unobtainable hope

Eliminate just one of those bad areas I mentioned above and the team goes to a bowl...
Eliminate a couple and they are 7-5

Adrian doesn’t have to be GREAT....he just needs to be good and maybe a shade better than last year. The TEAM needs to be better and HE will automatically be better.

Hell, just eliminate the high snaps and give him as much protection as he had in 2018 And I Guarantee his stats and your opinion of him would be MUCH better.
All that is correct. But the am antagonists still blame him for all the things. Funny thing is they point out he was better as a freshman when he only won 4 games but dropped in performance the next year when we won 5 games. That alone tells us how big of an effect the non QB issues can have.

Some of you mentioned the high snaps. This offense is about timing and Adrian was constantly worried about where the snap would be. When you are worried about that, everything else deteriorates including confidence. This should be a fun, throw-away season for this team to find out where they are at. Whether it is Martinez or McCaffrey, I believe we will see a vastly improved offense that could surprise a few teams.

I'm just happy we're only 8 days away from Husker football resuming.

KW, do not screw this up!

GET TICKETS

Back