• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coronavirus Status Updates

Honestly, I don’t understand how. Maybe because at least the large droplets are stopped?

But I do know there is ample evidence to indicate that they do. Dr. Rob Zatrchka said the same in one of his recent podcasts.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/...idence-that-masks-prevent-coronavirus-spread/

Follow-up to the question as to HOW masks help: I asked a family member who had a PhD in Virology. She said that they are not perfect at prevention, but they are still effective because of 1) who they protect and 2) what they block.

When a person wears a non-surgical mask, it’s not to protect themselves, it’s to protect the people around them. Thus, it does not protect from INHALING aerosoles, if they are in the air. Rather, cloth masks help keep the moisture that carries the virus out of the air, so there is less virus in the air for others to potentially inhale.

My family member’s response was much more science-y, but hopefully I was able to provide the gist of it. :)

T-12 days until kickoff! Stay safe and GBR

CDC study shows that 85% of people who got SYMPTOMATIC Covid were wearing masks all the time or most of the time.
Masks are not effective in preventing spread of Covid.....by the CDC's own data!

Science over opinions!!

CDC study shows that 85% of people who got SYMPTOMATIC Covid were wearing masks all the time or most of the time.
Masks are not effective in preventing spread of Covid.....by the CDC's own data!

Science over opinions!!

Masks are to protect the people around the wearer, not the wearer. Please see my post above (#1,231.)

Masks are to protect the people around the wearer, not the wearer. Please see my post above (#1,231.)

BleedinHusker

If the mask can't keep the virus OUT, it probably can't keep the virus IN either :).

Yes, I know about droplets... But the CDC also admitted that the virus is airborne via aerosols which can escape around all but professionally fitted N95 masks so once again, masks really have no value for any viral illnesses.

For Bacteria, much larger organisms, they can play a role when worn by people who are contagious (TB for example) but the extremely small size of viruses make facial coverings of no value.

Doctors, like me have known that in a viral pandemic, with high mortality (NOT Covid) if we were going to treat patients and not die ourselves we would need full biohazard or MOPP Level 4 suits and proper protocols to use them.

All the best.

PS: Your "explanation" doesn't make sense. If with the mask on, and you are still spewing out aerosolized virus then you are still spreading contagion!! Yeah it maybe less but it means you are still contagious and I for one feel you should be out of the public space rather than "wearing a mask" and acting like all is well!

Last edited:

BleedinHusker

If the mask can't keep the virus OUT, it probably can't keep the virus IN either :).

Yes, I know about droplets... But the CDC also admitted that the virus is airborne via aerosols which can escape around all but professionally fitted N95 masks so once again, masks really have no value for any viral illnesses.

For Bacteria, much larger organisms, they can play a role when worn by people who are contagious (TB for example) but the extremely small size of viruses make facial coverings of no value.

Doctors, like me have known that in a viral pandemic, with high mortality (NOT Covid) if we were going to treat patients and not die ourselves we would need full biohazard or MOPP Level 4 suits and proper protocols to use them.

All the best.

PS: Your "explanation" doesn't make sense. If with the mask on, and you are still spewing out aerosolized virus then you are still spreading contagion!! Yeah it maybe less but it means you are still contagious and I for one feel you should be out of the public space rather than "wearing a mask" and acting like all is well!

I agree that staying out of the public space instead of wearing a mask is definitely the safer approach!

As I understand it, the moisture caught by the mask is one of the keys to keeping the virus from spreading, though clearly I am not the one with the PhD in Virology. :)

To my earlier point, however, there is ample evidence that masks help prevent the SPREAD, even if they do not protect the WEARER. And Dr. Rob Zatechka also stated this in his podcast.

But to your point, this does not mean that people should just stop taking all other precautions if they and others around them are wearing masks. A mask is just one of the important tools.

That article is interesting when it's says we're doing so much worse. In the graphs on covid thread I compared the US to Western European counties. What percentage of people that test positive for Covid die.

US 2.75%
Germany 3%
Spain 3.6%
France 4.4%
Sweden 6%
UK 7%
Italy 10%

Sure seems to me our percentage of deaths isn't worse then others.

That article is interesting when it's says we're doing so much worse. In the graphs on covid thread I compared the US to Western European counties. What percentage of people that test positive for Covid die.

US 2.75%
Germany 3%
Spain 3.6%
France 4.4%
Sweden 6%
UK 7%
Italy 10%

Sure seems to me our percentage of deaths isn't worse then others.

Of course, that also depends on how commonly people are being tested. It may be that our testing rates are much higher in the U.S. than those Western European countries -- so as a percentage of positive tests, the death rate may not be higher in the U.S.

The study in the article I linked is Covid deaths per 100,000 people. Testing is not a part of the equation.

Even looking just at confirmed COVID-19 deaths, the number of people dying since May 10 — again after adjusting for population size — is on average 50% higher than every other country in the study. In addition, the rate people are dying in the U.S. has stayed far above everywhere else. Emanuel says the current elevated mortality rates are important because they eliminate the chaotic early months of the pandemic when testing, treatment and reporting varied dramatically around the globe.

The rate of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. since June 7 is 27.2 per 100,000 people. In contrast, in Italy, the death rate is down to 3.1 per 100,000.

Ultimately, death rates are expressed as a percent of the population. That's how it is with any disease/pandemic in man's history on earth. Not as a percentage of total tests administered. If 1,000 people are tested and 50 people die versus 200 people tested and 50 people died -- what only matters in the end is that 50 people died.

Last edited:

Ultimately, death rates are expressed as a percent of the population. That's how it is with any disease/pandemic in man's history on earth. Not as a percentage of total tests administered. If 1,000 people are tested and 50 people die versus 200 people tested and 50 people died -- what only matters in the end is that 50 people died.

Unless someone is trying to compare one country to the other, then you have to make sure all factors are the same, otherwise you're comparing apples to oranges.

My numbers are no better then anyone else's when it comes to comparing countries, just way too many variables to account for anything being accurate.

Don't know where those article's got there numbers but they fly in the face of everything we know about a disease that the CDC says is 99.9 % survivable for people below the age of 70!

Here is a quote from a more reasonable article about Covid mortality, the US and other countries:

By Sep 19, the United States had recorded 198,589 COVID-19–related deaths, for a death rate of 0.06%, higher than countries with low and moderate coronavirus death rates but similar to those with high death rates. For example, the death rate in Australia, considered a low-mortality country, was 0.003%, while Canada, a moderate-mortality country, had a 0.02% death rate.

No matter how you cut it, Covid is not Ebola!

And if the US is "worse" it still has an extremely low death rate.

Last edited:

Since we're comparing I wanted to go back to this article to compare some more.

Deaths in the U.S. are 29% higher than even in Sweden, "which ignored everything for so long," Emanuel says. Sweden made a point of refusing to order strict social restrictions and never went in to a full lockdown. "We have 29% more mortality than we should have if we'd followed Sweden's path and Sweden virtually did nothing."

Notice how they say our deaths are 29% higher then Sweden.

But according to this from John Hopkins, the deaths per 100,000 are about the same.

Sweden’s overall death rate — that is, the percent of those infected who die from coronavirus — sits at roughly 5.9% with roughly 58 deaths per 100,000 residents, compared to America’s death rate of 2.7% with 66 deaths per 100,000 residents, according to Johns Hopkins University. Swedish deaths per 100,000 people is lower than Italy (60 deaths), Spain (70 deaths) and the U.K. (65 deaths), according to Johns Hopkins.

So as we can see the US deaths per 100,000 are similar to Sweden, Italy, Spain, and the UK.

Here's another way to play with numbers so you can get the results you want.

The rate of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. since June 7 is 27.2 per 100,000 people. In contrast, in Italy, the death rate is down to 3.1 per 100,000.

Comparing 27.2 deaths per 100,000 to 3.1 looks bad, but then you notice it says since June, and we all know Italy was hit very hard early. So we go back up to Johns Hopkins University numbers and see the deaths per 100,000 is US 66, Italy 60, very similar.

Sorry, but whenever I see someone wanting to compare country to country and Covid deaths, I figure there has to be an agenda. Let's show somebody is doing it wrong. And when that someone is NPR, well we all know where they stand especially this year.

Last edited:

I think it’s absolutely incredible that, once again, our main stream media simply is quoting case numbers with no context or even mention of truly important statistics.

Just throwing out big numbers as if we are 3rd graders....

When I just took a look at a compilation of news articles put together by Apple News on my iPhone there were 6 different stories on ”Virus is Spiking in US!”

Yet not one puts this in context....The kids are back in school In so many locations. Elementary, Middle, HS and College. Should this be a big surprise to everyone that case numbers increase?

AND...is this an emerging problem with this “increase”?

Hell I don’t know because they don’t ever mention the TRUE stats that (to me) really matter except total deaths.

Total Deaths from Covid 19.... have they increased by a substantial amount?
Number of Hospitalizations....have they increased by a substantial amount?
Number of Beds Available.....have they decreased by a substantial amount?
Number of ICU Beds Available.... have they decreased by a substantial amount?
Number of Ventilators Available.... have they decreased by a substantial amount?
Percent of Hospital Capacity In Use.... has it increased by a substantial amount?
Percent of Staff Available.... has it decreased by a substantial amount?
Treatment Medications......... have they decreased by a substantial amount?
Quantities of PPE.... have they decreased by a substantial amount?

TL : DR
I frankly am beyond just seeing the stupid headlines about “major jumps“ and ”spikes” and ”outbreaks”. And it should come as no surprise to anyone with any common sense that case numbers would rise if the kids go back to school. What I want to know is can our medical facilities deal with it? Which to me is the absolute most important issue.

But the press continues to want to treat me as a simpleton. Sigh....

Last edited:
I figure there has to be an agenda. Let's show somebody is doing it wrong.

It’s the “Moral Clarity“ media. A la Wes Lowery. Opinion pieces don’t appear in the editorial sections anymore...they are now cleverly disguised as “analysis“ and appear as normal news articles. And any bona fide opinion pieces that tend to put forth an opposing view (no matter how polite, reasonable and factual) may or may NOT get published in an editorial section. Objective based reporting is scorned. All facts that are quoted support a “narrative“ and any unpleasant facts that DON‘T support the narrative are left out. And the outrage...how dare any normal reader not support OUR version of “moral clarity”....

There is an absolutely monumental battle going on across the newsrooms of the US media right now. Traditional fact based objective reporting versus the “moral clarity” types that are always very young, highly educated, white, and have really experienced so little of real life.

Lately...the moral clarity types have been winning...hands down.

And it’s a terrible shame.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back