• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Adrian Martinez will we see this year?

"on a scale of 1-10 (2018: 8, 2019: 4) what level of performance will we see from #2AM in 2020"

• Total voters
I guess I am not sure what you and Barnum are seeing. Go back and really take a look at the games he played in and the games he lost and I think he only played real poorly in 1 game and that was Purdue. Statistically he was off from the year before for sure. He did not play as well in 2019, but I wouldn't say he was terrible.
I guess I'm not sure what you are seeing - because that is precisely how I would describe his 2019 performance. I don't by that he was 'unmotivated' by the lack of depth in the room, he was just slower and threw the ball poorly

I guess I'm not sure what you are seeing - because that is precisely how I would describe his 2019 performance. I don't by that he was 'unmotivated' by the lack of depth in the room, he was just slower and threw the ball poorly

I guess my point is that everyone felt he would take this huge jump and be this great QB last year. The expectations for him were sky high and he didn't come close to meeting them, but when you look at his over all play it was down but it wasn't down a huge amount. He missed his 1000 yard WR, his 1000 yard RB and his 2 senior linemen that were replaced with a freshman and a soph walk on a lot.

His QB rating went from a 139 to a 135 not much.
His completion percentage when from a 64 to 59% that is 5 pts but really only about 2 less completions a game.
His yardage was down about 40 yards per game. He was also missing a 1000 yard receiver.
His TD passes were off 17 vs. 10.
His Interceptions were up a little 10 vs. 8.

Again he was suppose to be significantly better and he wasn't. But too say he was significantly worse is not accurate either.

i
I guess my point is that everyone felt he would take this huge jump and be this great QB last year. The expectations for him were sky high and he didn't come close to meeting them, but when you look at his over all play it was down but it wasn't down a huge amount. He missed his 1000 yard WR, his 1000 yard RB and his 2 senior linemen that were replaced with a freshman and a soph walk on a lot.

His completion percentage when from a 64 to 59% that is 5 pts but really only about 2 less completions a game.
His yardage was down about 40 yards per game. He was also missing a 1000 yard receiver.

Again he was suppose to be significantly better and he wasn't. But too say he was significantly worse is not accurate either.
I've seen those stats, I was surprised by how close his 2019 numbers match his 2018 numbers (though your qb rating numbers are off - 2019 was 130), because he looked (to me) like a much worse player in 2019. I don't think I'm alone in that evaluation.

his QBR in 2018 was 63.1, 2019 was 54.6.
in the NFL this year, that is the difference between Matthew Stafford (62.9) and Mitch Trubisky (54.3)

anyways - I'm more interested in what we think will happen this* year. so whatever you think of 2019 Adrian's performance, make that a 4, and whatever you think of 2018 Adrian's performance an 8 (even if you thing the difference isnt ThAt MuCh) and now you have the scale for the poll and you can make your prediction accordingly - too easy

Last edited:

Lots of reasons why AM's production was down last season imo. Some issues were on him while others were lack of play makers, weaker O-line play and injuries. I still contend we probably lost more games because of some poor coaching decision then from poor QB play by AM.

Without Spring ball and the strange set of covid circumstances really don't have a feel for how he's going to perform. I can only hope if he doesn't perform with excellent performance then LM gets a chance to show what he can do.

All things being equal (and I know they're not) those differences are winning or losing several games. You lose one drive to a poor pass and that can be the difference. IMO AM 2020 is nothing but a guess at this point. When SF indicated the pecking order wasn't set yet it told me AM is not standing out like we'd hope. Hopefully he comes out on fire. We will know soon enough.

Lots of reasons why AM's production was down last season imo. Some issues were on him while others were lack of play makers, weaker O-line play and injuries. I still contend we probably lost more games because of some poor coaching decision then from poor QB play by AM.

Without Spring ball and the strange set of covid circumstances really don't have a feel for how he's going to perform. I can only hope if he doesn't perform with excellent performance then LM gets a chance to show what he can do.
Agree... some things were on him, other things like play calls, snaps, injuries to key personnel, weren't his fault. He's our starter game 1 at the horseshoe. After that it's on him to keep it. Many people forget even when he was injured last year, McCaffrey wasn't starting. Glad they are keeping the competition up, that was part of his problem last year.

That's basically all I am saying. You can't put the whole season on his shoulders last year.

Went with 10, but think it'll be more like 12. I'm throwing out his abysmal 2019 performance completely and comparing him to his good 2018 performance (better than good considering he was a true freshman). Last year started so poorly that the kid really had no chance to get mentally right, plus add in a few nagging injuries and being too bulked up, it was a recipe for what we got out of him...not much.

All things being equal (and I know they're not) those differences are winning or losing several games. You lose one drive to a poor pass and that can be the difference. IMO AM 2020 is nothing but a guess at this point. When SF indicated the pecking order wasn't set yet it told me AM is not standing out like we'd hope. Hopefully he comes out on fire. We will know soon enough.
I think that is where we set expectations too high. To believe missing one pass is the difference in winning or losing in several games. Missing a block can do the same thing. Or dropping a pass or not running the right route. Maybe a running back reading the wrong hole or a bad snap upsetting the timing. And then we have the other side of the ball where a missed tackle, filling the wrong gap, or over reacting to a play causes a TD and is the difference in winning or losing. Way too many point the fingers at something they want to blame only on the QB. Poor passes happen. We see it every game. In fact almost 1/3 or every QB's passes are poor passes.

Which Adrian will we see this year? IMHO, we will see the same Adrian we have seen for two years. He will be slow to make RPO decisions, he will miss wide open receivers just enough to slow their momentum but still make a catch or have a near miss. He will not be able to throw the short out pass or flat pass. He will be calm and a tremendously mature influence at press conferences. However the bigger question to me is how will he handle a schedule that is much more difficult week after week than he has seen in two years. He demonstrated that he did not handle the beatable opponents scheduled the last two years.... I doubt he will turn it around with the toughest schedule in the BIG this year. He could improve and I hope he does, and we could still lose 6 games. He also needs to stay healthy which he has not done since his junior year of high school.

I hope you're right
Went with 10, but think it'll be more like 12. I'm throwing out his abysmal 2019 performance completely and comparing him to his good 2018 performance (better than good considering he was a true freshman). Last year started so poorly that the kid really had no chance to get mentally right, plus add in a few nagging injuries and being too bulked up, it was a recipe for what we got out of him...not much.

but I'm afraid that you're right
Which Adrian will we see this year? IMHO, we will see the same Adrian we have seen for two years. He will be slow to make RPO decisions, he will miss wide open receivers just enough to slow their momentum but still make a catch or have a near miss. He will not be able to throw the short out pass or flat pass. He will be calm and a tremendously mature influence at press conferences. However the bigger question to me is how will he handle a schedule that is much more difficult week after week than he has seen in two years. He demonstrated that he did not handle the beatable opponents scheduled the last two years.... I doubt he will turn it around with the toughest schedule in the BIG this year. He could improve and I hope he does, and we could still lose 6 games. He also needs to stay healthy which he has not done since his junior year of high school.
I agree decision making and accuracy in the throwing game (especially the should-be-easy throws on swing, screen, and short) are big big hurdles for #2AM. If he can't improve in those areas, and doesn't recover the lightning quickness he showed in 2019, then we will see #7LM

I voted 9 because I think he will be better than he was as a freshman. I would probably rank freshman year as a 7 sophomore year as a 6 and predict this year as an 8. I dont think Joe burrow would have looked like a 10 on last years nebraska team. The talent around does have an impact on how the qb looks. I think our offensive line may finally be a strength and I have faith in mills. Our wide receivers may have a bunch of talent but are not seasoned and depth is thin. If our defense could get our offense the ball a little bit more that would also help but I am not holding my breath on that. Look for some packages and trick plays for mccaffrey but I expect Adrian to start

I voted 7, I think he will be playing better than last year but won't regain that speed and quickness we saw his freshman year. Prove me wrong, AM!

GET TICKETS

Back