• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Game of telephone.... what i'm hearing

This is the point i've been trying to make on here. All the disdain for Chinander is directed wrongly IMO. He's actually done a better job than our offense in improvement and production from when he got here. I have a hard time thinking we will improve from 2019 to 2020, but if he does, I think at that point the criticism should stop. I'm expecting a slight stepback though with a completely new defensive line and some key injuries.

The one thing I'm hoping for is for the middle linebackers to actually hit the right hole consistently. I get the issues with OLB and inexperience on the D line. But for the love of all that's holy, I lost count of how many times Barry especially would hit the hole at full speed, only to watch the RB slip through for a big gain.

This is the point i've been trying to make on here. All the disdain for Chinander is directed wrongly IMO. He's actually done a better job than our offense in improvement and production from when he got here. I have a hard time thinking we will improve from 2019 to 2020, but if he does, I think at that point the criticism should stop. I'm expecting a slight stepback though with a completely new defensive line and some key injuries.
2019 to 2020 improvement might directly be tied to the offense and time of possession. I'll also get back on my favorite knock of our defense in regards to tackling. If it improves I think our defense and our offense improves by a TD scored against us and a TD we score each game. I have reviewed so many games where stupid tackling and/or trying to strip the ball has given up a 1st down instead of a punt. It has often led to continued drives for a score against us. The number of times we had a 3rd and seven and had a running back or QB get hit 2 yards past the line of scrimmage and get another 6 yards made me puke.

2019 to 2020 improvement might directly be tied to the offense and time of possession. I'll also get back on my favorite knock of our defense in regards to tackling. If it improves I think our defense and our offense improves by a TD scored against us and a TD we score each game. I have reviewed so many games where stupid tackling and/or trying to strip the ball has given up a 1st down instead of a punt. It has often led to continued drives for a score against us. The number of times we had a 3rd and seven and had a running back or QB get hit 2 yards past the line of scrimmage and get another 6 yards made me puke.
Yep it made me say "better get a bucket."
better-better-get-a-bucket.jpg

The one thing I'm hoping for is for the middle linebackers to actually hit the right hole consistently. I get the issues with OLB and inexperience on the D line. But for the love of all that's holy, I lost count of how many times Barry especially would hit the hole at full speed, only to watch the RB slip through for a big gain.
I've brought up a couple times that we were getting to the wrong gaps with 2 NFL defensive linemen in front of us and a better NG than we will have this year. So what if all of a sudden our ILBs are better at doing that, it just looks worse because our DL is doing a "worse" job? Things i'll be looking for against Ohio State.

That's true. If our offense can just sustain drives and keep our defense off the field, I think our defense could show some improvement from not being exhausted. I've mentioned it, but haven't given it its due for how it could help us. Good call.

I've brought up a couple times that we were getting to the wrong gaps with 2 NFL defensive linemen in front of us and a better NG than we will have this year. So what if all of a sudden our ILBs are better at doing that, it just looks worse because our DL is doing a "worse" job? Things i'll be looking for against Ohio State.

It almost HAS to look better, right? You could flip a coin and at least be right close to half the time. I swear Barry hit the wrong gap at full speed 4-5 times a game, and the RB was running 2-3 yards to his left or right and into the open space he just left.

It almost HAS to look better, right? You could flip a coin and at least be right close to half the time. I swear Barry hit the wrong gap at full speed 4-5 times a game, and the RB was running 2-3 yards to his left or right and into the open space he just left.
This was a real headscratcher for me. Were our guys just that bad at reading things or was it scheme? Our LB's and Secondary also liked to run directly into gigantic offensive lineman when blitzing.

*** I know you have been pushing this narrative for going on 9 months about how are d-line is going to be significantly worse than it was last year. Let's just wait and see. I know in your rebuttal you will bring up that we are losing 3 guys that made NFL rosters and so on. I am going to choose to be optimistic until I see otherwise.

It not me being a Pollyanna or anything I have just seen too many times where guys have stepped up and filled the void, because it was there "turn" for lack of a better word. I personally expect the d-line to probably be a little worse than last year overall, but I expect it to be deeper. But I expect are linebacker play to be a few ticks better than last year. So it hopefully is a wash.

Way too early for a post like that. I think he can improve on some very minor things, but to your point, he hasn't been the issue up until now.
just not buying the hype anymore. that is on me and no one else. Every year its the same ole same ole, takes times , all the excuses why it isnt happening rather than why it should happen. As i said show me. This Saturday will be a good time to show it

Last edited:
I think this is the one area that I’m not in line with HCSF on...defense mindset. Maybe it’s because he was in the defense deficient PAC12 and AAC conferences where really good defenses were not there so he got jaded by having a mindset of offensive football being all that ultimately mattering, but that just isn’t the case in the B1G. Heck, if the Huskers focused on the defense they would have a much better shot of contending. Having a offense that plays at break neck speed is just not a good approach in a conference where defenses are actually pretty good. That may have worked in those other conferences and B12 too, but not so in the B1G. Why do you want to put your defense on the field so much in a conference where your opponents Do NOT play that way and can grind away in their offesive possessions so your defense is tired and you’re constantly playing from behind. HCSF has got to change his philosophy now that he’s in the B1G and seeing how his first couple years have gone in it, defensively and offensively IMO.

Very few teams are faring well defensively this year. Look at what Bama has done, and I highly doubt anyone here would criticize their talent or coaching. If there is just a little improvement defensively, then the offense just needs to be where it was 2 years ago for this team to win 5 games.

Agree and this points that out

Last edited:

*** I know you have been pushing this narrative for going on 9 months about how are d-line is going to be significantly worse than it was last year. Let's just wait and see. I know in your rebuttal you will bring up that we are losing 3 guys that made NFL rosters and so on. I am going to choose to be optimistic until I see otherwise.

It not me being a Pollyanna or anything I have just seen too many times where guys have stepped up and filled the void, because it was there "turn" for lack of a better word. I personally expect the d-line to probably be a little worse than last year overall, but I expect it to be deeper. But I expect are linebacker play to be a few ticks better than last year. So it hopefully is a wash.
I guess I don't know how much worse it is going to be, all I can say is when you lose 2 NFL draft picks out of 3 possible spots, rarely do things get better because "guys will step up and fill the void." I also worry about depth... last year I felt good with 4 DEs and the experience, this year we only have 2 experienced DEs. I'm more just saying people can be optimistic that it will be the same, but the history of college football says otherwise.

I don't think I'm going too far out on the limb with us being worse on the DL this year when we were 5-7 last year, only had 2 NFL draft picks on our entire roster, and both of those guys were on a defensive line that only plays 3 people.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back