• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A B1G Crock

treeplanter

Recruit
10 Year Member
In 'An Open Letter To The Big Ten Community', dated on 8/19/20, Big Ten Conference commissioner Kevin Warren, in response to the decision by the COP/C to 'postpone' the 2020 fall football season, wrote that "the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes" is "at the center of our decision-making process."

Having subsequently reversed this decision - {a decision, according to Commissioner Warren, that the COP/C had been "overwhelmingly in support of" and one that categorically "will not be revisited"} - the Big Ten Conference, pursuant to having put in place plenty of prohibitive, punitive and positively draconian conditions has, nonetheless, grudgingly agreed to play anyway

One such condition paving the way to a fall 2020 football season is a negative diagnosis per a daily COVID-19 rapid result testing kit before any individual be allowed to step foot onto the athletic complex

To be sure, the daily testing of players, coaches, trainers, etc is NOT prohibitive, much less punitive, much less draconian

To be sure, the enforced quarantine of players, coaches, trainers, etc who test positive for COVID-19 is NOT prohibitive, much less punitive, much less draconian

{although the actual length of the enforced quarantine, one that well exceeds that imposed by the other Power 5 conferences, as well as the recommendation of the CDC, itself, may well qualify as prohibitive, punitive, and draconian!}

What most absolutely IS prohibitive, punitive, and draconian {where COVID-19 testing is concerned} is that the B1G has decreed that no more than 170 individuals be tested daily

The B1G is providing 170 rapid result testing kits, daily, to it's member institutions and this is more than sufficient to cover the average Big Ten roster of 110 players along with the approximately 50 members of support staff {coaches, trainers, etc}

Nebraska, however, is a different animal

With a roster of 150+ players and an approximate staff size of 50 - we are going to require over 200 daily tests

"Not a problem"
says the University of Nebraska
"We'll just purchase, ourselves, the extra test kits that we need"

"Hold your horses"
says Commissioner Warren
"We're paying for 170 tests per day and we will not allow you to test anymore than 170 individuals on any given day!"

The unfortunate, bottom line fact of the matter is that Nebraska never has been and, almost certainly, never will be able to recruit on par with fellow blue bloods like Ohio St, Penn St, and Michigan - at least, not on a consistent basis

Instead of relying upon the recruiting of top shelf talent - Nebraska, once upon a time, developed a system by which to minimize the on the field talent differential {where our peers are concerned}, while, at the same time, maximizing the potential of the talent that we were able to attract

The walk on program was a key component of this system - of the 'Nebraska Way'

The system by which the Cornhuskers managed to thoroughly dominate college football over the last four decades of the twentieth century

The walk on program, having been gutted following the termination of the 42 year Devaney/Osborne/Solich era, is an essential component of Scott Frost's plan to restore Nebraska to it's rightful place in the college football hierarchy

The re-establishment of an expansive walk on program is central to Frost's vision of marrying Oregon speed with Husker Power

It's crucial to the restoration of the 'Nebraska Way'

The B1G, whether or not it does so consciously and purposefully, is cutting us off at the knees

This, in conjunction, with the conference having actively scheduled against us from day one {see my thread titled: A Hard Row to Hoe}

Whether or not the B1G is, in reality, "out to get" Nebraska, there is no question whatsoever that the B1G is little interested in the student-athlete in general

The Big Ten Conference is supposed to exist for the benefit of the student-athlete

The Big Ten Conference supposedly exists to serve the best interests of the student-athlete

From the 'Open Letter To The Big Ten Community', dated 8/19/20, Commissioner Warren wrote that "We will continue to make the best decisions possible for the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes. We appreciate the passion of the Big Ten community and will harness that energy towards providing the best possible experience for all Big Ten student-athletes"

How, exactly, Commissioner Warren, is the B1G serving the best interests of the student-athletes under your charge by denying them an opportunity to participate in Big Ten athletics?

Do you truly care about the health and safety and WELLNESS of the Big Ten athlete??

If you did, then you wouldn't prohibit them from following their dreams...

K.W. IS AN "ELITE." IT'S ALL ABOUT THE ELITES AND THE, "BENJAMINS!"

NEBRASKANS ARE ALWAYS PROUD, BUT HARDLY EVER, "BRAGADOCIOUS." THAT'S WHY I LOVE DONU!

Huskers need to make this a very PUBLIC fight with King Kevin and Big 10. Let everyone that loves college sports see what the Big is trying to do to kids that play for fun and pride. There's simply no FAIRNESS in this decision and it seems directly pointed at Nebraska to hurt the program going forward. Frankly I'm outraged at this BS from King Kevin but not surprised.

It’s all about the Benjamin’s

The Benjamins are good but it was about long-term stability. Texas was not-so-clandestinely pursuing membership in the PAC 12. The Big 12 didn't exactly feel like a stable home. The Big 12 is in a stronger position today than it was back then, mostly because the PAC 12 is poorly managed. I still wouldn't be remotely shocked to see the Big 12 raided in future realignment. OU and Texas will be fine but I would be nervous about my future if I were any of the other Big 12 schools. I think the game of musical chairs is just paused, not completed.

Given results on the field this year, maybe OU will be able to get back in a Power 5 conference if the Sun Belt expands.;)

And yeah, I know, at least you're playing. And I'm painfully aware the B1G hired Dan Beebe's brother from another mother as commish. Hopefully the covid fiasco allows for a rapid correction of that monumental error.

Last edited:
No it's more than that it was about Texas and OU selling out to them and yeah a lot more money that we left the B12.

If OU had the opportunity they would do the same thing money an all and you and I both know it
I don’t think they would. For all the Texas angst the Big 10 has treated Nebraska like crap since they got there. They have done them wrong with scheduling. They didn’t give them a full share of the conference money for several years. But if you’re enjoying the Big 10 good for you.

Last edited:

I don’t think they would. For all the Texas angst the Big 10 has treated Nebraska like crap since they got there. They have done them wrong with scheduling. They didn’t give them a full share of the conference money for several years. But if you’re enjoying the Big 10 good for you.

You never get a full share when you join a conference

As opposed to the B12 who treated us like crap at the end, jobbed us in the CC game vs TX and screwed us in our final bowl appearance. Yeah well I am enjoying no more PPV, about $15M more a year more than the B12 and I could go on and on

For what its worth the big 10 pays 55.6 million per team in revenue and the big 12 pays 38.9 million. The big 12 figure does not include third tier rights.also keep in mind this is for all sports not just football. I believe Nebraska pays several million more in traveling and recruiting than when we were in the big 12. I do wonder if the big 12 added Nebraska and another team with nationwide recognition how that would effect the payout.

I agree the big 10 pays more but don't believe the gap with all things taken into account is as large as some believe.

You never get a full share when you join a conference

As opposed to the B12 who treated us like crap at the end, jobbed us in the CC game vs TX and screwed us in our final bowl appearance. Yeah well I am enjoying no more PPV, about $15M more a year more than the B12 and I could go on and on
Like I said glad you’re happy. :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back