• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

" Bookie " and OU

Bookie is intelligent and writes well. (remember his recruiting journal?)
He has an engaging personality.

As for football, he often engages the wrong people at the wrong time, often fails to engage when needed and his first team engagement with the OU Defense may soon be 'slip, sliding away' very much like many of the receivers he guards or running backs he attempts to tackle.

This is a little harsh because he's likely a very sharp and good young man but when you make yourself "showtime," ya gotta deliver the goods. He's been a showtime guy without the show.

IMO. (I have watched Bookie from day 1 with a laser focus to see what all the hype was about....)

I wish the young man well. He could have used Coach Travis Fisher.
I’m not sure Bookie actively promoted himself as “Showtime Guy” as much as Nebraska Fan did. The fascination with this kid and the immediate expectations placed on him was borderline obsessive and unrealistic for a 5 8 DB. Don’t blame him for that.

These comments below are from "borderline obsessive and unrealistic" Oklahoma fans and supporters. They are from the thread 'Hooked On' linked us to. I take zero pleasure in posting these comments but there is obviously an information/knowledge gap needing to be filled.

These fans were fascinated with Bookie and had immediate expectations - you would think teams like Alabama, Clemson, FSU, Florida, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Texas would have offered Bookie. Oh wait......

So, after three years, this is what you have. You be the judge.

He would have benefited from three years with Travis Fisher in much the same way Lamar Jackson was held accountable - finally.

Travis Fisher was 5' 10".

( the bolded is mine for emphasis)

what a fu**#@* bust
-----
Really, really, really, really bad game tonight.
-----
Would be one thing if he was trying his best and not yapping his fu@*ing mouth.
Kid runs his mouth all game and it’s funny to watch

-----
First time he got juked I thought, "Damn, that was actually just a good play." Second time he got juked I thought, "Shame on me."
------
Im trying to think what he does good at but cant think of a single thing. Dude is just a liability on defense
-----
Bookie should NOT be allowed to wear #44. That’s ridiculous.
-----
Had offers from Clemson , Alabama, FSU, Florida, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas ... Don't know man, maybe we cannot develop defensive players.
-----
How was this guy rated so high out of HS???? He's the epitome of a low effort player.
-----
I always try to be supportive of every Sooner and can’t really remember one of our guys I disliked, but this guy drives me insane. He makes horrible play after horrible play after horrible play. Gotta be the dumbest player on any team on the planet. I’m still trying to figure out what parameters were used to ordain him as a five star or for that matter a MEMBER of this team. He’s small AND slow. Definitely not athletic. Not a good decision maker. Worst of all, though, is his since of entitlement he passes onto the rest of the defense. In fairness, though, part of his failings are because of the way the coaches use him...blocking for punts, the middle man trying to block PATs and FGs and as a pass rusher. The list of fail is long with him and all who insist on playing him SOMEWHERE. Why? Only place I’d like to EVER see him play is for some other team.
-----
I have one question, how miserably bad must the kid behind Bookie be.
-----
He was recruited as this big play defender. I dont think thats something that can be developed. His game just didnt translate to the college level. He has pretty much sucked his entire time here.
-----
remember some people talking like he'd be another honey badger. Wups.
Size is a serious limitation, but he's also slow as hell. Watch him on that ISU kickoff return. Brkic looks way faster.
-----
Biggest 5 star bust ever!!
please pull his scholarship and put him in the transfer portal.
can't cover cant tackle just CANT.
-----
I blame it completely on coaching.
-----
Not all five-stars are created equal. On defense, the ones that Bama, tOSU, LSU, Clemson, etc, want--the ones they break the bank for--don't end up at OU. Bookie was a borderline five-star who chose OU over...Nebraska.
-----
I defended the kid last year. He was a young player working through a new system after FUMS got canned.

But then he got himself ejected for acting the clown in the biggest game of the year when we were short handed against LSU.

And he obviously hasn’t learned a damn thing leading into this year. He can’t make himself taller. But he can learn to wrap up and make a tackle. He can learn to take correct angles. Hell, the players on K-State and ISU know how.

He needs to stop practicing showboating in front of the mirror and work on some fundamentals.
-----
His attitude, false bravado , lack of skill ,, mistakes
etc etc Lincoln has to discipline him or bench him.
-----
Nope, those offers were based on high school hype. The guy must have a great marketing rep. He would not be good at any of those programs. If you are undersized, like he is, you darn sure better bring some real speed and quickness and tackling ability. He lacks in all areas and being on Bama would maybe, and I say maybe, help with the tackling. His other liabilities would still remain.

He is a guy that was able to dominate at the high school level and look good enough to fool people about his ceiling.
-----
That is not the OU way these days. We have a bunch of entitled players who think they are better than they are and unfortuinately, I blame the staff for a lot of it. We are fat and happy with our 5 straight Big 12 titles and 4 CFP appearances and we expect to show up against ISU and K State and get wins. It doesn't work that way these days. You need to bring it every week. Bama does, even against the lesser conference foes. But, at Bama, there is accountability.

I guarantee that Saban would bench a player for having games like Bookie, especially if he was running his mouth and getting dumb penalties. OU does not hold players accountable. LR APPEARS TO HOLD THEIR HANDS.
-----
This kid is bad news . Bad influence, bad attitude, bad player . I cannot be convinced this player is the best option for the coaches . He also does not represent OU very well . A gangster type player . Showboating even while we are losing . Which tells you a lot how he only plays for himself .

These comments below are from "borderline obsessive and unrealistic" Oklahoma fans and supporters. They are from the thread 'Hooked On' linked us to. I take zero pleasure in posting these comments but there is obviously an information/knowledge gap needing to be filled.

These fans were fascinated with Bookie and had immediate expectations - you would think teams like Alabama, Clemson, FSU, Florida, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Texas would have offered Bookie. Oh wait......

So, after three years, this is what you have. You be the judge.

He would have benefited from three years with Travis Fisher in much the same way Lamar Jackson was held accountable - finally.

Travis Fisher was 5' 10".

( the bolded is mine for emphasis)

what a fu**#@* bust
-----
Really, really, really, really bad game tonight.
-----
Would be one thing if he was trying his best and not yapping his fu@*ing mouth.
Kid runs his mouth all game and it’s funny to watch

-----
First time he got juked I thought, "Damn, that was actually just a good play." Second time he got juked I thought, "Shame on me."
------
Im trying to think what he does good at but cant think of a single thing. Dude is just a liability on defense
-----
Bookie should NOT be allowed to wear #44. That’s ridiculous.
-----
Had offers from Clemson , Alabama, FSU, Florida, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas ... Don't know man, maybe we cannot develop defensive players.
-----
How was this guy rated so high out of HS???? He's the epitome of a low effort player.
-----
I always try to be supportive of every Sooner and can’t really remember one of our guys I disliked, but this guy drives me insane. He makes horrible play after horrible play after horrible play. Gotta be the dumbest player on any team on the planet. I’m still trying to figure out what parameters were used to ordain him as a five star or for that matter a MEMBER of this team. He’s small AND slow. Definitely not athletic. Not a good decision maker. Worst of all, though, is his since of entitlement he passes onto the rest of the defense. In fairness, though, part of his failings are because of the way the coaches use him...blocking for punts, the middle man trying to block PATs and FGs and as a pass rusher. The list of fail is long with him and all who insist on playing him SOMEWHERE. Why? Only place I’d like to EVER see him play is for some other team.
-----
I have one question, how miserably bad must the kid behind Bookie be.
-----
He was recruited as this big play defender. I dont think thats something that can be developed. His game just didnt translate to the college level. He has pretty much sucked his entire time here.
-----
remember some people talking like he'd be another honey badger. Wups.
Size is a serious limitation, but he's also slow as hell. Watch him on that ISU kickoff return. Brkic looks way faster.
-----
Biggest 5 star bust ever!!
please pull his scholarship and put him in the transfer portal.
can't cover cant tackle just CANT.
-----
I blame it completely on coaching.
-----
Not all five-stars are created equal. On defense, the ones that Bama, tOSU, LSU, Clemson, etc, want--the ones they break the bank for--don't end up at OU. Bookie was a borderline five-star who chose OU over...Nebraska.
-----
I defended the kid last year. He was a young player working through a new system after FUMS got canned.

But then he got himself ejected for acting the clown in the biggest game of the year when we were short handed against LSU.

And he obviously hasn’t learned a damn thing leading into this year. He can’t make himself taller. But he can learn to wrap up and make a tackle. He can learn to take correct angles. Hell, the players on K-State and ISU know how.

He needs to stop practicing showboating in front of the mirror and work on some fundamentals.
-----
His attitude, false bravado , lack of skill ,, mistakes
etc etc Lincoln has to discipline him or bench him.
-----
Nope, those offers were based on high school hype. The guy must have a great marketing rep. He would not be good at any of those programs. If you are undersized, like he is, you darn sure better bring some real speed and quickness and tackling ability. He lacks in all areas and being on Bama would maybe, and I say maybe, help with the tackling. His other liabilities would still remain.

He is a guy that was able to dominate at the high school level and look good enough to fool people about his ceiling.
-----
That is not the OU way these days. We have a bunch of entitled players who think they are better than they are and unfortuinately, I blame the staff for a lot of it. We are fat and happy with our 5 straight Big 12 titles and 4 CFP appearances and we expect to show up against ISU and K State and get wins. It doesn't work that way these days. You need to bring it every week. Bama does, even against the lesser conference foes. But, at Bama, there is accountability.

I guarantee that Saban would bench a player for having games like Bookie, especially if he was running his mouth and getting dumb penalties. OU does not hold players accountable. LR APPEARS TO HOLD THEIR HANDS.
-----
This kid is bad news . Bad influence, bad attitude, bad player . I cannot be convinced this player is the best option for the coaches . He also does not represent OU very well . A gangster type player . Showboating even while we are losing . Which tells you a lot how he only plays for himself .
Sorry but I don’t put much stock into what angry 1-2 Sooner fans have to say. There is no denying his incredible athleticism but he was anointed an NFL player at 17 or 18 years old and he certainly had physical limitations. These limitations could be exposing themselves at Oklahoma or he could be just in a terrible scheme that’s making him look worse than he is. A guy named Suh was pretty average until he found the right coach and scheme.

Unfortunately BRH tends to fit the mold of a lot of the players recruited under the FHC. I have watched him from the onset since I live between Lawrence, KS and Manhattan, KS so he is on tv quite often in Big XII country. He does not like to tackle, period. He gets away with a lot of holding that could be called. He does seem out of position a lot. He looked slow against K-State last week and Iowa State last night. Play for the name on the back of the jersey and not the front so to speak, type player.

Unfortunately BRH tends to fit the mold of a lot of the players recruited under the FHC. I have watched him from the onset since I live between Lawrence, KS and Manhattan, KS so he is on tv quite often in Big XII country. He does not like to tackle, period. He gets away with a lot of holding that could be called. He does seem out of position a lot. He looked slow against K-State last week and Iowa State last night. Play for the name on the back of the jersey and not the front so to speak, type player.
Topeka?

Ol Lincoln Riley butter getting a little warm, liable to be 1-3 here soon, unranked as of new polls coming out. Think he needs a new DC

Bob Sanders was a damn good safety at 5'-8". Def not typical but the lack of height can be overcome.

From the above post by @jmcsundance this comment stings a bit.

I bought into the Bookie hype when we recruited him. Met him briefly before the Spring Game the day after he released his commitment video. He was signing autographs and taking photos with adults and kids alike. Seemed like a nice kid, didn't seem like he was basking in the attention, more like giving fans what they wanted. Who knows how things could have been if he played here, but it does look like he's not living up to recruiting expectations thus far.

Seems to me Bookie is playing in-line with the rest of the talent on the Sooner defense. Loaded with talent we would all die for, but once they put the OU helmet on they seem to forget how to play.

Not sure if it is because Defense is so de-emphasized in the Big 12, or if the development is nearly nonexistent down in Norman. They did get what I considered a very good defensive coach when they hired Grinch. The results haven't yet showed it though.

Seems to me Bookie is playing in-line with the rest of the talent on the Sooner defense. Loaded with talent we would all die for, but once they put the OU helmet on they seem to forget how to play.

Not sure if it is because Defense is so de-emphasized in the Big 12, or if the development is nearly nonexistent down in Norman. They did get what I considered a very good defensive coach when they hired Grinch. The results haven't yet showed it though.
Name one good defense that plays that fast, up tempo? There aren’t any. You trade off to run that style offense. Same goes for NU. You have a quick 3 and out, or a quick score, the gassed defense is right back on the field.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back