• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If you haven't stocked up on your Hatch supply, get it before they are gone!

LarstheRed

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
It's Hatch season, and I've got 2 bushels roasted, cleaned and in the freezer! I'll admit it, I am addicted to the amazing flavor of Hatch. I have learned a valuable lesson though. While digging through my freezer to clear space for my new crop, I came across a chunk of Ham I'd forgotten about. It may have had a bit of burn, but no worries, I could always go the route of Ham Salad. Then, a revelation! Hatch Ham Salad! So I ground the Ham, added a huge pile of Hatch...then added a few more, mixed it all with some other ingredients, and I had lunch and dinner on it the next 2 days. It was about the middle of the second afternoon that the lava started to flow, and after another full day to purge, I realized and now fully accept that there is such a thing as too many Hatch Chiles.

Visited Sante Fe a few years ago. The best breakfast I have ever eaten was at a place called the Pantry. Breakfast Burrito with chorizo, green chili, and the fried potatoes. My wife liked the burrito "Christmas" with both the red and green chili, but why mess with the green? The Hatch chili is truly a wonder.

Aren't the red and the green the same chili? I thought the red ones were hatch chiles but they were ripened a little more and then dried?

Aren't the red and the green the same chili? I thought the red ones were hatch chiles but they were ripened a little more and then dried?
My bad, it's actually chile. Yes the reds are the same pepper but to me, the red has an earthier flavor than the green.

My bad, it's actually chile. Yes the reds are the same pepper but to me, the red has an earthier flavor than the green.
There is an almost fruity smell when they are fully ripened and dried. It’s a whole new experience. Hatch are awesome in everything...except oatmeal, that they do fail in.

I love Hatch chiles, we grew poblano, cowhorn, cayenne, and hot limon this year. I may have to try to plant some Hatch next year.

I love spicy food and love to try new peppers, but for me it is more about adding flavor than just making it hot. I haven't had the chance to try Hatch yet, but I'm definitely going to add it to my list.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back