• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Omaha High School Fall Sports/Cancelled (Update)

Is postponement an option for HS sports? Why is it all or nothing in Omaha? I thought they were doing so good.

While other parts of the state are going to phase 4.

As of August 1, the counties of Antelope, Boyd, Brown, Chase, Cherry, Dundy, Frontier, Funas, Hayes, Hitchcock, Holt, Keith, Keya Paha, Knox, Perkins, Pierce, Red Willow and Rock will join the counties of Blaine, Custer, Garfield, Greeley, Howard, Loup, Sherman, Valley, and Wheeler in moving to a Phase IV Directive Health Measure. All other Nebraska counties remain in Phase III.

Last edited:

I have no skin in the game, as I have no children. My concern as a human being is the mental toll future toll this will take on these athletes. Imagine if you are a senior and a marginal student and the only reason you try in school is so that you are eligible to participate in the sport you love to play. Now imagine that is taken away from you. What motivation do you have to even go to school?

I have a fear of skyrocketing truancy rates as well as many of these seniors falling through the cracks of society, not to mention the mental health (suicide) aspect of the whole thing.

No sports also means: No band, no chorus, no dance squad, no theater. Basically no extra curricular activities.

I have no skin in the game, as I have no children. My concern as a human being is the mental toll future toll this will take on these athletes. Imagine if you are a senior and a marginal student and the only reason you try in school is so that you are eligible to participate in the sport you love to play. Now imagine that is taken away from you. What motivation do you have to even go to school?

I have a fear of skyrocketing truancy rates as well as many of these seniors falling through the cracks of society, not to mention the mental health (suicide) aspect of the whole thing.

No sports also means: No band, no chorus, no dance squad, no theater. Basically no extra curricular activities.
It's interesting to watch people that clamor for better mental health resources and bang the "it's mental health" drum to no end turn around and do things that actually seriously harm people's mental health. Disgusting.

in Basketball it certainly looks like AAU tourneys and other things are progressing....and players haven't stopped playing on their own.
AAU, Baseball, Shrine Bowl, all went off pretty well. I get that schooling and being around students adds a different dynamic, but we need to push forward, not hold up until a vaccine that some people won't even take anyway comes around(see measles).

Last edited:

While other parts of the state are going to phase 4.

As of August 1, the counties of Antelope, Boyd, Brown, Chase, Cherry, Dundy, Frontier, Funas, Hayes, Hitchcock, Holt, Keith, Keya Paha, Knox, Perkins, Pierce, Red Willow and Rock will join the counties of Blaine, Custer, Garfield, Greeley, Howard, Loup, Sherman, Valley, and Wheeler in moving to a Phase IV Directive Health Measure. All other Nebraska counties remain in Phase III.

I just booked tickets for my family to come back to Nebraska for Labor Day weekend. We want to watch are nephew play football. He is a senior and we haven't seen him play before. My son, who will be a junior this year has had his game cancelled. They are scheduled to play a team from Oregon. Oregon is starting school on line and no sports. Which is a little silly there is virtually no cases in Eastern Oregon.

I just booked tickets for my family to come back to Nebraska for Labor Day weekend. We want to watch are nephew play football. He is a senior and we haven't seen him play before. My son, who will be a junior this year has had his game cancelled. They are scheduled to play a team from Oregon. Oregon is starting school on line and no sports. Which is a little silly there is virtually no cases in Eastern Oregon.
Where does he play? Metro?

This is just OPS at this point, right? Obviously would put a big dent into Class A sports, but will have no impact on how any lower classification goes about their fall sports schedules. Even still for Class A, things wouldn't be that bad, unless Millard, Westside and the Catholic schools in Omaha follow suit.

I don't get the "either/or" argument. If they can be in school why CAN'T they play sports? Doesn't make much sense.

OPS is a shtshow.
I can see the calculated risk of additional exposure being a variable. Exposure during school, then additional exposure during practice, and again during games. It increases possibility exponentially. Not saying it is right or wrong, but the numbers would get bumped up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back