• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Smoked Prime Rib

RedStones

If you aren't on the right, you're wrong.
10 Year Member
I have always wanted to smoke a Prime Rib and finally did one today. It turned out incredible. As good or better than most I've had had at restaurants. I'm both fat and happy and sick and miserable. If I could eat more without exploding I would.

6181020851.jpg

I smoke mine above a pan of beef broth. The broth evaporates into the meat, and the trimmings drip into the broth. It's beautiful. Then the broth doubles as the au jus.

I smoke mine above a pan of beef broth. The broth evaporates into the meat, and the trimmings drip into the broth. It's beautiful. Then the broth doubles as the au jus.
I've wrapped mine in bacon before and just covered in bacon fat with the seasonings for the crust. Both are amazing and the au jus is crazy good.

I've wrapped mine in bacon before and just covered in bacon fat with the seasonings for the crust. Both are amazing and the au jus is crazy good.

This sounds really good. So how did you do it? Put rub on the meat and wrap the whole thing with bacon strips and smoke? That in itself sounds friggin awesome but tell me how you made the au jus.

This sounds really good. So how did you do it? Put rub on the meat and wrap the whole thing with bacon strips and smoke? That in itself sounds friggin awesome but tell me how you made the au jus.
Yes. Pan under the meat. Just use the liquid like you do au jus. You'll need to add beef broth to the pan to start.

I am way late to this party, and you've likely emptied the leftovers weeks ago, but I'm wondering if you had any challenges creating some type of crust on the outside? That would be my one need to truly love a prime rib smoked. A couple of places I've tried it didn't have that, but one did, and I assumed they did a finish via rotisserie under a broiler of some kind.

I am way late to this party, and you've likely emptied the leftovers weeks ago, but I'm wondering if you had any challenges creating some type of crust on the outside? That would be my one need to truly love a prime rib smoked. A couple of places I've tried it didn't have that, but one did, and I assumed they did a finish via rotisserie under a broiler of some kind.
You could pull it off of the smoker 10 degrees or so under what you want it to finish at and sear it.

I do it with steaks all the time. I reverse sear my steaks and they come out perfect (unless I've been drinking a lot...). I'll crank up the grill to 500 and sear them mothers for a minute'ish each side. Barely cooks the inside at all. The brown between the crust and the inside is razor thin.

I've sliced a few brisket points that I thought came close to smoked prime rib. Heck of lot more economical. Poor man's prime rib.

I didn't see this until just now. My grill doesn't get hot enough to put a sear crust on it without over cooking. I've been thinking about getting a sear torch like this.

Sear Torch

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back