• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Confirmed: , B1G. Going To A 10 Game Conference Schedule in 2020;

The ivy teams can do this because football is not as big a deal with them, even though they play a decent brand of it. And financially, losing the season is not a big deal when compared with their endowments. Frankly, I always enjoyed those games as well as those at the Naval Academy small field in Annapolis, and Maryland when they had a good offense, no defense, a losing record and played wide open offensive football.. Of curse I enjoyed NU football even when the capacity was 36,000 and the stadium was not always full and we were lucky to win 6 games. So We're Number One has never been the reason I am a fan - I just like the game.

They probably will try to start the season, and maybe they will get lucky and get through it. I hope so. One or more teams may well have to throw in the towel before the season finishes, I suspect, and I see no way they are going to jigger the schedule to accommodate that (how can there be a two week break - what happens to the schedules of the teams they were supposed to play those two weeks?). I will enjoy such a schedule immensely too, as long as we don't cause a lot of people in the stands to get really sick (with lingering complications, whatever their age) or to die. Somehow that seems more important to me than whether we have the normal football year.

I hope they can figure something out, but college football in the Spring may not be a bad idea. We might get a normal schedule then and the gamblers can make do with the pros this Fall.

They probably will try to start the season, and maybe they will get lucky and get through it. I hope so. One or more teams may well have to throw in the towel before the season finishes, I suspect, and I see no way they are going to jigger the schedule to accommodate that (how can there be a two week break - what happens to the schedules of the teams they were supposed to play those two weeks?). I will enjoy such a schedule immensely too, as long as we don't cause a lot of people in the stands to get really sick (with lingering complications, whatever their age) or to die. Somehow that seems more important to me than whether we have the normal football year.

Very well said sir!

It seems each school and/or state will have to decide whether they play. With New York’s policy on quarantine from other states Rutgers could only play a handful of schools, if any at all. Michigan And Illinois governors may decide to ban competition whereas Ricketts would not. The situation is so fluid it may make sense to have contingencies in place and not rely on conference partners. Plan for regular schedule now. But if schools in Big 10 can’t play due to state orders, a team like Nebraska may be calling teams a few weeks in advance to schedule games. Substitute Northwestern with Kansas State. Rutgers with Wyoming etc. If Penn State plays 3 games and then they shut down due to cases, Nebraska finds alternate team to play. May be more of an exhibition type year as probably not playoffs unless the cases go down.

I'm guessing of this happens the Big 10 will cancel the season. They can't have just some of the teams playing.

I suspect the conference will be guided by the Big Dogs. If Michigan or Ohio State ,or maybe even someone like Penn State or Northwestern, say no deal, I doubt we will have a BIG season. Not withstanding the brave words of their coach, I think Michigan is the most likely to back out first. But if the big guys say let's play, then I suspect there will be a season. Harbaugh is trying to get out front of his administration in urging play. We'll see how that works.

And if another conference joins the Ivies in canceling the season, then the BIG season will be in real jeopardy.

I think a lot of fans stayed away from road games this year in favor of that Ireland trip next year. I don't see that happening. NU needs to open at home in 2021.

ESPN is reporting something similar...

Big Ten presidents and athletics directors discussed the issues during a conference call earlier this week, and the league's head coaches were given an opportunity to weigh in on Thursday morning.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-moving-conference-only-model-all-sports-fall

An assistant coach at a Big Ten program told ESPN that his head coach instructed him to stop scouting and preparing for nonconference opponents and focus on only league foes.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

:(

Last edited:

I think this was done specifically so they can start the season later. No way AZ will be ready to play Labor Day with it being the worst place in the world for Covid right now.

I think a lot of fans stayed away from road games this year in favor of that Ireland trip next year. I don't see that happening. NU needs to open at home in 2021.

I don't understand why whatever happens this year affects needing to start at home in 2021. Of course, if we're still in the COVID mess in 14 months, then I get not traveling internationally, but why do we have to open at home? I actually thought that was already an away game.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back