• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Under Armour tells UCLA it's terminating contract - what will this do to NU and others?

Megatron

Recruit
5 Year Member
In 2016 UA signed a 15 year, $280 million contract with UCLA. Now after dismal athletic performance, UA wants out. If UA wins the what will surely be a court battle, what happens to NU and the rest of the college world? If your program doesn't perform to certain standards, will Adidas and Nike opt out?

This is a closely watched battle from multiple sides.... Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I would have thought it was all about the money more so than a record. If Nebraska stuff keeps selling who cares what the record is, right?
I care! But you are probably correct about our German Shoe-peddling Overlords.

I guess it depends on how the contract is written. If UA doesn't have a contractually defined reason to terminate, it would seem UCLA would be owed damages.

Note: I couldn't read the LA Times article because it's behind an ad-block wall.

I would love for Nebraska to be able to get out of the adidas contract and renegotiate. Even if we stay with adidas, we do not have an apparel contract worthy of our brand. Eicorhost did the athletic department a disservice when he didn't open it up for bid.

I think it’s money. Isn’t that why Fox Sports asked out of their PGA contract this year? NBC picked it up. I think people want their wads of cash back.

I do not think UA Wins this lawsuit. Under performing athletically is not cause. As long as they are fielding all of the teams they promised and all those

I would have thought it was all about the money more so than a record. If Nebraska stuff keeps selling who cares what the record is, right?

That's my hunch. UCLA and USC gear sells when they're winning. Same for the Rams, Chargers, Raiders or any other football team that's been in Los Angeles.

By contrast, Nebraska could go 0-12 and we'd still sell a zillion jerseys and hats.

I think this is more about UA than UCLA. They are losing badly in the apparel wars. Nike still winning but they just laid off a butt load of people. I think you may see UCLA and Wisky going back to Adidas. Heck you may even see Adidas buy UA.

I think you hit that on the head, there are quite a few teams that sell gear only when their winning and Nebraska will never have that problem. Unfortunate, but UA is a business with a bottom line.

That's my hunch. UCLA and USC gear sells when they're winning. Same for the Rams, Chargers, Raiders or any other football team that's been in Los Angeles.

By contrast, Nebraska could go 0-12 and we'd still sell a zillion jerseys and hats.

In 2016 UA signed a 15 year, $280 million contract with UCLA. Now after dismal athletic performance, UA wants out. If UA wins the what will surely be a court battle, what happens to NU and the rest of the college world? If your program doesn't perform to certain standards, will Adidas and Nike opt out?

This is a closely watched battle from multiple sides.... Stay tuned.

Adidas isn’t going anywhere and UA just made a very stupid marketing move.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back