• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost on football this fall

That is the exact question we are all wrestling with, right? The decisions should be data-driven, to the best of our ability. As large groups of people are scientifically demonstrated to be among the highest risk environments for transmission, I remain of the opinion that attendance at Memorial Stadium should be limited.
The data suggests that that the predictive death rate is extremely low. It depends on what data someone looks at. If someone does not want to go - don't go - but if our nation believes gathering 10's of thousands of people for marches and demonstrations is appropriate and worth the risk then gathering 10's of thousands together for a football should be no more risky.

I'd vote to set the capacity at 50% and fill it up like a checkerboard (each family group is not next to or directly in front or behind any other family group) and require masks. I think that would resolve most of the worries of a superspread event. There would be some risk still of course but significantly less in my opinion.

I think smart people on the B1G team (include John Hopkins and University of Chicago) are going to make data driven choices. I think there will be football, and I think they will make the best choices about fans in the stadiums that they can. I would bet there will be people in the stands, but maybe not more than 25k.

The COVID response team is lead by a Doctor from UNMC... pretty cool.

The data suggests that that the predictive death rate is extremely low. It depends on what data someone looks at. If someone does not want to go - don't go - but if our nation believes gathering 10's of thousands of people for marches and demonstrations is appropriate and worth the risk then gathering 10's of thousands together for a football should be no more risky.
There is one major difference r here. You can’t stop a protest that is gathered on a whim. What are you gonna do, shoot them all? Big difference. One isn’t organized, the others are.

Last edited:

I'm going to pass this year, even if I don't get sick but get the dang thing and I have to isolate for 2 weeks, that won't work well when I am the owner/operator of a funeral home with little help. My business can't shut down.

Anyone want 4 tickets?

If college athletes were going to get it, be hospitalized, and even tragically die from football season, then why haven't they already? This thing is and has made the rounds and I am yet to see of a college athlete anywhere getting hospitalized. Yet if we play football then college athletes are suddenly going to start becoming ill?

I would love to see a stat on how many college athletes have gotten seriously ill with it, and if the answer is none, then why would they suddenly start?
If this were only about college athletes competing I don’t think many would be worried. But this is not about 80 kids each side getting together on a field and playing each other. It is about whether fall out to others from the kids playing can be avoided. Even with no fans in a stadium, thousands of people are involved in putting on and televising a game- many of whom are at higher risk and not able to avoid close contact. Right now there are a huge number of cases in several states where young adults did not wear masks or social distance in reopening not as fraught as college sports. By August, and not likely before, we will learn if this big increase in younger positive tests translated to another huge spike in deaths. If it does, no college sports this fall. If it doesn’t, there is a chance. But I don’t see how more than family members will be in the stands under any scenario.

I'm going to pass this year, even if I don't get sick but get the dang thing and I have to isolate for 2 weeks, that won't work well when I am the owner/operator of a funeral home with little help. My business can't shut down.

Anyone want 4 tickets?
Depending on the weekend and situation, we would be interested. Those are some of the best seats in the stadium.

Depending on the weekend and situation, we would be interested. Those are some of the best seats in the stadium.
As soon as I know what is going on I will let you know. Sorry I was such a crab at that OSU game last year, just had a bad day.

As soon as I know what is going on I will let you know. Sorry I was such a crab at that OSU game last year, just had a bad day.
Wonder if the game had anything to do with any of our moods??? We were so impressed with the view of the field that we didn't even notice that you were having a bad day.

I’ve seen this argument before, and it’s not a great comparison, but let’s run with it. I think at the end of the day it more supports what I’m saying. We have many restrictions and tools in place to make driving as safe as possible: classes, licenses, etc., all to mitigate the risk.

And, why is driving while drunk illegal? Scientifically, it has a high probability of being dangerous to the driver and to the people around them, so the law is in place to protect the public. Similarly, large groups of people are at the highest risk of transmitting this virus.

So you are endorsing making large gatherings of people illegal because you believe they are the highest risk? There are restrictions in place for the virus as well...face masks, quarantine when sick, etc. That makes it as safe as possible. So, basically, you agree with me that with restrictions to make it as safe as possible the activity can continue.

Also, to state "scientifically demonstrated" that large groups are among the highest risk environments might be a bit of a stretch. To scientifically demonstrate something requires controlled experimentation with control groups, etc. I doubt a control group exists to validate whether large groups of people are a very high risk. One active virus shedder in a group of 30 people would make that a pretty high risk and hardly a large group.

This one is preventable. Car accidents are just that, accidents. Not even on the same stratosphere. And no one said only Covid 19 kills, so use whatever fits your narrative. Maybe you’ll infect your parents or grandparents with it, then we’ll see if you sing a different time.

So terribly wrong and shows your lack of understanding of the disease. I don't think anyone who has become infected with Covid-19 has "wanted" to get it, yet thousands have been infected. It is not preventable, it is here and it will infect people.

There is one major difference r here. You can’t stop a protest that is gathered on a whim. What are you gonna do, shirt them all? Big difference. One isn’t organized, the others are.

Oh boy, again, i don' think you understand the issues you speak of here. Many, if not most, of the protests were indeed organized! What else would you call social media pleas to the masses to show up at "X" and exercise your right to protest? They might as well have sold tickets!

6 games instead of 12. NW, Illini, Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin and Gophers. No crossover. Delayed opening season date, late October.

Maximum of 15,000 fans in Memorial Stadium. Required masks with waivers.

5yh6P20.png

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back