• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bow Hunters

Absolutely obsessed. I'm a military nomad, though, so I'm mostly relegated to public hunting grounds instead of my own food plots. Luckily, here in SW OK we have a pretty good population of deer. They aren't the huge corn fed ones of the north, but certainly bigger than the deer of the deep south.

Just drove 60 miles to an Elite dealer to have my bow re-strung and tuned. Local bow shop guys don't know Elite bows well enough.
Agree on them not knowing Elite well enough, I hunt Northwest Oklahoma...will post a pic.

IMG_20191118_130222665_HDR(2)_compress24.jpg

Bowhunting, yes. Planting plots and sitting in trees, no. I will sit in a blind over a waterhole or wallow though. Prefer not to do that, but sometimes I gotta make a sacrifice.

So, question about bow design. Do you prefer single cam, dual cam, hybrid, ... ?

To me it would seem a dual cam would be more accurate/consistent, though maybe tougher to tune. I'm trying not to make it too complicated.

I’m probably the only man to grow up in the Midwest that has never been hunting. My dad’s family were not hunters, and therefore I was not a hunter. Had some friends who hunted over the years, but I’ve still never been. I’ve been intrigued by bow hunting for years, but have never made the leap. Maybe one of these years.

Last edited:
So, question about bow design. Do you prefer single cam, dual cam, hybrid, ... ?

To me it would seem a dual cam would be more accurate/consistent, though maybe tougher to tune. I'm trying not to make it too complicated.

Not sure if there are any single cams that are being manufactured today. Technology speaking, there aren’t really any true dual cams either. There are now mainly hybrids or binary cam systems. The technology of the single cam bows sorta hit its peak, and the hybrid/binary style has more room to grow.

That said, you’re Your best bet it to find a good pro shop, and/or someone in your area that actually knows what they’re doing. This can be tricky, because there’s a lot of peeps that talk, but don’t really understand the walk.

Back to cam systems...for me, it’s more about how they feel thrown in with the bow geometry and other things. The advancement in string materials has made tuning issues due to string stretch/creep almost nonexistent.

So, find a pro shop or 2 and shoot a bunch of different models and types. Listen to what they say, but be aware of the push. Talk to other peeps, and if possible, find a coach (not the backyard kind) to help get you started. Most everywhere has someone with coaching and shooting credentials that can help you get started.

Don’t over bow yourself (too much draw weight) and get a bow that has an easily adjustable draw length (internal rotating modules are the best IMO for starting out) in 1/2” increments. Finding the correct draw length for you is probably the most important thing, and the rotating mods make it easier to do (no special equipment necessary).

Not sure if there are any single cams that are being manufactured today. Technology speaking, there aren’t really any true dual cams either. There are now mainly hybrids or binary cam systems. The technology of the single cam bows sorta hit its peak, and the hybrid/binary style has more room to grow.

That said, you’re Your best bet it to find a good pro shop, and/or someone in your area that actually knows what they’re doing. This can be tricky, because there’s a lot of peeps that talk, but don’t really understand the walk.

Back to cam systems...for me, it’s more about how they feel thrown in with the bow geometry and other things. The advancement in string materials has made tuning issues due to string stretch/creep almost nonexistent.

So, find a pro shop or 2 and shoot a bunch of different models and types. Listen to what they say, but be aware of the push. Talk to other peeps, and if possible, find a coach (not the backyard kind) to help get you started. Most everywhere has someone with coaching and shooting credentials that can help you get started.

Don’t over bow yourself (too much draw weight) and get a bow that has an easily adjustable draw length (internal rotating modules are the best IMO for starting out) in 1/2” increments. Finding the correct draw length for you is probably the most important thing, and the rotating mods make it easier to do (no special equipment necessary).
Thanks!

I have seen single cam bows in recent Cabela's ads. Don't know who makes the bows for Cabela's, but I was thinking of going a different direction, such as @ksuhusker mentioned above.

I’m probably the only man to grow up in the Midwest that has never been hunting. My dad’s family were not hunters, and therefore I was not a hunter. Had some friends who hunted over the years, but I’ve still never been. I’ve been intrigued by bow hunting for years, but have never made the leap. Maybe one of these years.
Time to make the leap! Hopefully you are in a place where you can find a mentor (if needed) or someone who can guide you through the process.

I'm kinda the same way. Grew up on a farm. Dad and Grandpa never hunted, other than varmints, so that's what I learned. Shot many a nuisance sparrow with BB and pellet guns. Ground squirrels, cottontails, raccoons, etc. with a .22 or 12 gauge (whichever was appropriate). But I always figured hunting was for the "town kids" who didn't get to spend every day out with nature like me.

Then in HS I got into upland bird hunting a little (though I was terrible). Always talked about deer hunting, but never got around to it...

Thanks!

I have seen single cam bows in recent Cabela's ads. Don't know who makes the bows for Cabela's, but I was thinking of going a different direction, such as @ksuhusker mentioned above.

Just MO, but unless you get to look the bow over, or better yet, have someone with you that knows what to look for/at, I’d avoid private CL purchases, unless you know the person or know someone that knows them. Most all manufacturers build quality stuff but the peeps using them can really screw things up. Not the norm, but it does happen.

Depending on your budget, most all manufacturers have set up (other than arrows and release aids) entry level stuff that has full warranties, etc. for reasonable prices.

Just MO, but unless you get to look the bow over, or better yet, have someone with you that knows what to look for/at, I’d avoid private CL purchases, unless you know the person or know someone that knows them. Most all manufacturers build quality stuff but the peeps using them can really screw things up. Not the norm, but it does happen.

Depending on your budget, most all manufacturers have set up (other than arrows and release aids) entry level stuff that has full warranties, etc. for reasonable prices.
Yeah, I meant the brands (Elite, Mathews, Bowtech, ...), not Craigslist. I'm about to take a trip to the local bow shop, which has a good reputation. Probably start with a good used one if possible.

Yeah, I meant the brands (Elite, Mathews, Bowtech, ...), not Craigslist. I'm about to take a trip to the local bow shop, which has a good reputation. Probably start with a good used one if possible.

Gotcha. The used stuff at pro shops is generally good stuff. They should have least inspected it.

Well said.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back