• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best and worst away games.

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
I have not lived in the state of Nebraska since I was 18 and went into the Corps. I have also never made enough money to make regular pilgrimages back to Lincoln. So a majority of the games i attended have been road games. Some of the experiences have been fun some not so much. Just curious what everyone's best and worse experiences were at road games.

My worst was at UCLA 1988. It was bad not just for the fact that we lost the game. (This may have been the best UCLA team ever. Troy Aikman was a senior.) IT was the fans. They absolutely were in a mood to fight with Husker fans that day. I was a 25 year old Marine and a good friend from the Corps went with me. Mid 4th qtr we decided to leave because we hoped to beat the traffic. We were not talking trash or anything. Why would we, we were losing pretty bad. However as we walked up the stairs toward the exit. I guy just swung on me. I ducked it pushed him into the crowd and kept walking. three rows up it happened again. By the time we got out of the stadium 4 different people had swig at us. Fights were breaking out everywhere. Once we got out of the stadium. We are walking to our car and we hear. "That's right Husker P*&^^%*s just leave. We turned around to see who was yelling and the guy was a huge guy. Like 6'5" probably 300 plus pounds. Discretion was the better part of valor so we turned back around and walked to the car. My buddy said, "I would have kicked his butt but I was afraid if he fell on me you would not be able to lift him off me." We both laughed then spent 4 hours trying to get back to the freeway.

My best was MD this past year. 1st it was probably our most dominant performance of the last 3 years. Second MD has a hype guy that wanders the sidelines. He was set up right in front of us. His job is to get the MD crowd hyped and give the opposing fans a good natured ribbing. He and I went back and forth all game. After like our 4th or 5th TD he says, "You huskers are greedy you need to share." Now I am a fat guy. not big FAT. I stood up and said. Nebraska fans are hungry and we like to eat. I said this while rubbing my belly He turned and walked away. A husker fan a few seats down said. "He walked away because he was laughing to hard to respond. " He gave me the thumbs up. The weather was miserable but it was a great day. Good food, good fun just a great day.

here is the guy I was talking about at MD.
images

My away games are A&M in 2010 (L 9-6, 16-2 penalty game), Minnesota in 2013 (L 34-23), and I will throw in the 2012 BIG championship (L 70-31 to Wiscy)..... I've banned myself from future away games.

College Station was a blast other than the outcome of the game (The A&M fans were great hosts), Minny was cold as Texas, and downtown Indy before the game is where i began my loathing of Wisconsin. Their fans were obnoxious.

I don't get to many away games, but have been to Manhattan a few times for games vs. KSU. Fans were fine, not particularly objectionable, just generally low football IQ, in a rather unimpressive town.

Also went to the 2010 Big XII championship game in 2010, which was the second season for the new Jerry World stadium. The game was a heartbreaker, felt like the refs were screwing us for leaving the conference; the facilities were mind-blowing.

Last edited:

Evanston 2012 was spectacular with the comeback and the mostly red crowd. If you saw a dude wearing a large fluffy white coat, that was my friend Aaron:Biggrin:

Champaign 2015 was a nightmare. Was quite impressed with the stadium, but the game itself was an awful nightmare. We all know what I am talking about. Then we could not find a hotel and ended up in Rantoul, IL in a roach infested hotel.

Went to Notre Dame that was good, didn't like Evanston (Northwestern). Don't go to a lot of away games so don't have a lot to compare it to.

Evanston 2012 was spectacular with the comeback and the mostly red crowd. If you saw a dude wearing a large fluffy white coat, that was my friend Aaron:Biggrin:

Champaign 2015 was a nightmare. Was quite impressed with the stadium, but the game itself was an awful nightmare. We all know what I am talking about. Then we could not find a hotel and ended up in Rantoul, IL in a roach infested hotel.

My wife and I were at that game in Evanston. Remember them running out of food at about half time -- the stadium didn't know what hit them with all the NU fans there.

for best, I wish I'd been at that Michigan State game in '95

I wasn't there, but the '84 Syracuse game has to be near the top of the worst ones!

My wife and I were at that game in Evanston. Remember them running out of food at about half time -- the stadium didn't know what hit them with all the NU fans there.

for best, I wish I'd been at that Michigan State game in '95

I wasn't there, but the '84 Syracuse game has to be near the top of the worst ones!
Kind of like the B1G Baseball Tourney here in Omaha?

I don't get to many away games, but have been to Manhattan a few times for games vs. KSU. Fans were fine, not particularly objectionable, just generally low football IQ, in a rather unimpressive town.

Also went to the 2010 Big XII championship game in 2010, which was the second season for the new Jerry World stadium. The game was a heartbreaker, felt like the refs were screwing us for leaving the conference; the facilities were mind-blowing.

Growing up with a bunch of KSU fans in my family and near Manhattan I would agree. I've spent a lot of time in that town and they are some of the biggest bandwagon and "we're better than you" fans I've ever dealt with. All while having very mediocre success in the last 25 years. I was at the 2010 Nebraska vs KSU game and they thought they were going to have a good game and then we rolled them, I got heckled the whole time, was getting birds and FUs from just walking around and not even smack talking. We went out to the bars after the game and I changed my shirt before hand because I didn't want any trouble. Got down to the bars, and Husker nation had taken over, there was hardly any KSU fans down there. My memory kind of goes down hill from there on that night. :Woohoo2:

Best was the Orange Bowl for the 1997 season. I was living in Knoxville and it was awesome to go home to TN with a win over Peyton Manning and the Vols. Worst trips were 1986 Colorado-our first loss to the Buffs in many years. 2019 Colorado-heart breaker that quickly went from awesome to putrid. 2018 Michigan-team didn't even show up.

Best was the Orange Bowl for the 1997 season. I was living in Knoxville and it was awesome to go home to TN with a win over Peyton Manning and the Vols. Worst trips were 1986 Colorado-our first loss to the Buffs in many years. 2019 Colorado-heart breaker that quickly went from awesome to putrid. 2018 Michigan-team didn't even show up.
Yea, we were in Boulder last year as well. A 8-ish year old boy flipped me and my off while yelling obscenities. His dad was right behind him, cheering on his son acting that way...

Growing up with a bunch of KSU fans in my family and near Manhattan I would agree. I've spent a lot of time in that town and they are some of the biggest bandwagon and "we're better than you" fans I've ever dealt with. All while having very mediocre success in the last 25 years. I was at the 2010 Nebraska vs KSU game and they thought they were going to have a good game and then we rolled them, I got heckled the whole time, was getting birds and FUs from just walking around and not even smack talking. We went out to the bars after the game and I changed my shirt before hand because I didn't want any trouble. Got down to the bars, and Husker nation had taken over, there was hardly any KSU fans down there. My memory kind of goes down hill from there on that night. :Woohoo2:
Nice, I was there for that one too. They claim to be big fans, but tickets around the (pretty small) stadium were always available for well below face value - we just didn't change into our Husker gear till after we'd bought them.

In previous years, got to watch Jordy Nelson (who was an absolute stud) try to carry some pretty deficient teams.

My Best Experience:
Texas
Oklahoma
Okie St.
Kansas
Baylor
Michigan St.
Washington

Meh:
Kstate
Maryland
NW
Michigan
UCLA
Southern Miss

Awful:
Wisconsin
Missouri
Colorado
Penn St.
A&M
USC

Best Game: 2001 - Oklahoma at Nebraska. Watching Crouch catch that TD pass was amazing. Was the only game I had ever went to with my Grandfather.

Worst Game: 2019 - Nebraska at Colorado. I remember standing in the beer line at halftime when a Buffs fan cut us but bought us a beer because we were whooping them so bad but being good sports about it. The feeling I had when leaving that stadium was horrible. Couldn't get back to the vehicle fast enough. Also got one of the worst sunburns of my life. A mile closer to the sun will do that I guess.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back