• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Deshawn Woods - 2022 Offensive Tackle - Omaha Central

LOL you must be new here.
Nah I’ve been around awhile and I know the frustrations some have with losing local kids. The thing is we will always lose a couple. When they locked down the top five in state it was impressive. They’re proving to be good recruiters. Can they develop and win games. That’s the next step.

To be fair, a small step back for LSU is equivalent to 5-years from now for Nebraska if everything goes right for Frost. And i mean everything.
On second thought, Husker fans might find a small measure of hope in looking back to the 5 year period of 67 - 71.

Huskers were not very good in 67 & 68 ... certainly not as bad from a record standpoint as we have been under Frost’s watch nor the last five years.

To be fair, a small step back for LSU is equivalent to 5-years from now for Nebraska if everything goes right for Frost. And i mean everything.
Let's not anoint LSU as the next Alabama or Clemson yet. I agree with the poster that they are going to take a step back and maybe a pretty significant one. Prior to the arrival of Joe Brady that offense was at times unwatchable. Wonder boy is now gone as is their Heisman QB, then team that up with heavy losses on defense, I could see a 8 win season. Maybe that is the ceiling for Nebraska and I have my concerns but LSU does not look like dynasty to me. I personally believe Oregeon caught one time lightning in a bottle and may struggle with personality clashes with his incoming D coordinator.

I get the concern ... but, I got to think LSU will take at least a small step backwards after 14 players drafted, replacing QB & RB and some staff turnover unless y’all think Pelini has found his next Dorsey or Suh.

Nebraska simply has to show some improvement & potential this year & next.

It’s just a long, long way to NSD for the ‘22 class ... far too long to get worked up about it today.
I'm likely in agreement on LSU step backwards. They lost a ton of talent and while not disparaging what Burrows did (ok he had a career year) but I think maybe bayou lightening in the bottle. Anyway, too much LSU talk.

Love that Nebraskans are drawing such great interest nationally. As improvement in the team happens, the locals may actually want to stay. And if not, find the ones who want to be Red.

Does BP at LSU figure into any of this as an advantage over the likes of Florida and others? Not sure of his relationship with HS coaches.

My guess is non-factor. DC for an OT that is fairly removed in time and distance.

Let's not anoint LSU as the next Alabama or Clemson yet. I agree with the poster that they are going to take a step back and maybe a pretty significant one. Prior to the arrival of Joe Brady that offense was at times unwatchable. Wonder boy is now gone as is their Heisman QB, then team that up with heavy losses on defense, I could see a 8 win season. Maybe that is the ceiling for Nebraska and I have my concerns but LSU does not look like dynasty to me. I personally believe Oregeon caught one time lightning in a bottle and may struggle with personality clashes with his incoming D coordinator.

I'm not anointing LSU as the next Bama or Clemson. They'll clearly take a step back next year. Last year's team was the best team of the last decade-plus IMO.

But I do think they're going to be the program we're accustomed to seeing, where 10-wins and top 10 finishes are the norm. Nebraska is not close to that. At all.

I'm not anointing LSU as the next Bama or Clemson. They'll clearly take a step back next year. Last year's team was the best team of the last decade-plus IMO.

But I do think they're going to be the program we're accustomed to seeing, where 10-wins and top 10 finishes are the norm. Nebraska is not close to that. At all.
We’re getting there. This year will tell how close.

interesting thread... yes, can't wait to get back to 9/10 wins per season - & then denigrating said seasons. :Confused:

Those 9/10 win seasons the past 20 years were often so unimpressive to Husker faithful (downright fireable) - at times this fan base is its' own worst enemy.

DONU has a rich CFB tradition, but also an if you ain't first, you're last complex that is really self effacing & counterproductive.

NU is 7th in All time wins (902) - ninety more than LSU (812)... 5 MNC's to 4

eight times since Dr Tom retired in 1997, NU has failed to win 9 or more games in a season - seven for LSU over the same time frame... (fifteen for Ferentz BTW)

NU's future is bright, & things are going to be special again soon - whether folks want to believe or not, that's on them.

You can afford a miss locally on a 5-10 to 6 foot guy with speed from time to time. You've got to lock up a 6-5 270# lineman who is being recruited nationally, those are ones that cannot get away.

Our 2021 recruiting class ranking is #46 47. We dropped from #35. Our B1G rank is #11 out of 14 (#6 in AVG rank).
I know its early but it is not looking as good as I wish we were at! :confused: :Ironn:
Right now we are sitting on a small class compared to most of the schools in front of us

Same thing last year and folks were melting down then too

So with all due respect I disagree with you
I don't worry a ton about our ranking, it does for what some of the other teams like Iowa are doing because they are recruiting much better than in the past. So they are raising their game.

I think why this feels a little different, is you heard all thru December and January that Nebraska was setting their 2021 board up great and finally had things how they wanted. It was going to be a "much faster process for 2021" was the war cry from recruiting analysts:

Now here we are heading into June with losing 10 recruits to Iowa and Avante Dickerson to Minnesota, and we are now saying "we are being more selective" while having the most offers out of any P5 in the country. It's a little concerning to me. And I also know that we don't want to get in a situation where we are having to get 8 commits the weekend before the first NSD like 2020. How we had set our 2021 board up was to make that not an issue.

With that said, Covid doesn't help things. I know we thought we sat good with Dickerson and Johnson, and were hoping to have another guy on board already if not for the virus. I also have no doubt Lubick will pull in a couple 5.7 WRs to replace Johnson, and Fisher will do what he does and get guys with the same ranking as Dickerson, it just is better to have the guys in the fold already so you can focus on coaching and not recruiting. Especially local ones.

Does BP at LSU figure into any of this as an advantage over the likes of Florida and others? Not sure of his relationship with HS coaches.
Nah.... Woods nor his high school coach have a feeling one way or the other about Bo. He will take a visit to Iowa for sure due to their placing OL in the league, Florida has been all over him and even said he was a top 3 priority for them, LSU is the defending national champ so that makes sense, Iowa State was one of the first to offer so he respects that. We have location on all of them, I expect us to get an official. So crazy he will only be a junior.

You can afford a miss locally on a 5-10 to 6 foot guy with speed from time to time. You've got to lock up a 6-5 270# lineman who is being recruited nationally, those are ones that cannot get away.
I get what you are saying... what I can say, is where disconnect between the fans and high school coaches/players starts happening is when they have friends and former players that go elsewhere and have success. While we may be able to go to Florida and replace Keagan Johnson, the talk around Omaha is going to be how Keagan Johnson is doing. The kids and high school coaches would talk about how well their player was doing down there. When they go elsewhere, you talk about other programs more and the talk track gets different.

I'll use Keagan Johnson as the example. So now we have 4-5 years on how he's doing in Iowa. Comparisons on his improvement. We are going to replace him with Jaylin Noel out of Kansas City. Whereas if we would have had Johnson commit the talking stays about Nebraska and how the kids are doing.

Losing in-state creates separation in the fan base and recruits locally a bit. It's not about whether we can get someone else at that caliber.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back