• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New vehicles - current prices

Sleepy

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
I've been looking at a new Ram 1500 lately (sorry Chevy & roadkill fans). Has anyone else been shopping and noticed any good deals? I'm seeing prices around $9000 (2020-Limited) to $12,000 (2019 Laramie LH) below sticker price with incentives. The 2019 was $500 cheaper than the base value but actually more than one of the newer Limiteds. Don't know if I should use that to argue down the price on the 2019.

Would anyone not consider these good deals and argue for cheaper? Anyone think it can get better in a month or two?

I've been looking at a new Ram 1500 lately (sorry Chevy & roadkill fans). Has anyone else been shopping and noticed any good deals? I'm seeing prices around $9000 (2020-Limited) to $12,000 (2019 Laramie LH) below sticker price with incentives. The 2019 was $500 cheaper than the base value but actually more than one of the newer Limiteds. Don't know if I should use that to argue down the price on the 2019.

Would anyone not consider these good deals and argue for cheaper? Anyone think it can get better in a month or two?
My daughter was looking for a new dodge and nobody on this side of the planet would even come off of the market increase that I can’t believe anyone would actually pay.

My daughter was looking for a new dodge and nobody on this side of the planet would even come off of the market increase that I can’t believe anyone would actually pay.
Looking at dealers' websites in our area and some are showing discounts and others aren't. Had a salesman try and offer a 2019 instead of a 2020 that I was interested in. Oh and the 2019 had 22" rims that would cost more. smh

The best resource that I have found for determining FMV for new cars is the car forums on Edmunds.com. You can get real world info on prices paid.

Certain car makers mark up their MSRP substantially, knowing full well they will end up “discounting” $10K. Other car makers, such as Lexus, you aren’t getting very much off of MSRP - they don’t have to discount them. Supply and demand.

The best resource that I have found for determining FMV for new cars is the car forums on Edmunds.com. You can get real world info on prices paid.

Certain car makers mark up their MSRP substantially, knowing full well they will end up “discounting” $10K. Other car makers, such as Lexus, you aren’t getting very much off of MSRP - they don’t have to discount them. Supply and demand.
Thanks, I will check that out.

Regardless of manufacturer, you need to determine what the actual 'Incentive' is up front at the start of the negotiation.

My last new purchase was a 2018 2500 Silverado. GM was doing a $10k manufacturers rebate. That's awesome, but what people forget is that if the vehicle is say $65,000 and you're getting $10 off, that $55,000 discounted price still includes ALL of the original dealer markup above invoice. Bottom line is they're is still plenty of room to negotiate a better deal.

Start by asking the EXACT amount of the rebate you'll be signing over to the dealer. If he says it's the $9 or $12 k amount you quoted above, then you know you've still got the difference between dealer invoice and remaining MSRP to play with. Some folks are fine with letting the dealer keep all of that profit, I was not. They need to make some money, but I'm not interested in letting them keep it all.

Do some digging on line and you'll be able to find dealer invoice on the vehicle. For mine, the dealer would have been pocketing around $5 grand in markup, but that varies from vehicle to vehicle. They can and will deal. I've actually gotten into their back end money (Manufacturer to dealer rebates) on deals. Again, not all of it, but if they've got $10k for me and they're getting another few thousand back end money, some are willing to deal. Many dealers get unit bonuses and that can be a pretty big driver at the end of the month.

Regardless of manufacturer, you need to determine what the actual 'Incentive' is up front at the start of the negotiation.

My last new purchase was a 2018 2500 Silverado. GM was doing a $10k manufacturers rebate. That's awesome, but what people forget is that if the vehicle is say $65,000 and you're getting $10 off, that $55,000 discounted price still includes ALL of the original dealer markup above invoice. Bottom line is they're is still plenty of room to negotiate a better deal.

Start by asking the EXACT amount of the rebate you'll be signing over to the dealer. If he says it's the $9 or $12 k amount you quoted above, then you know you've still got the difference between dealer invoice and remaining MSRP to play with. Some folks are fine with letting the dealer keep all of that profit, I was not. They need to make some money, but I'm not interested in letting them keep it all.

Do some digging on line and you'll be able to find dealer invoice on the vehicle. For mine, the dealer would have been pocketing around $5 grand in markup, but that varies from vehicle to vehicle. They can and will deal. I've actually gotten into their back end money (Manufacturer to dealer rebates) on deals. Again, not all of it, but if they've got $10k for me and they're getting another few thousand back end money, some are willing to deal. Many dealers get unit bonuses and that can be a pretty big driver at the end of the month.
Thanks. It's been a pain so far. Going to dump this dealership and look elsewhere. Asked them to look into a truck at another dealership. While waiting for that, been given info on three other trucks to consider. That wouldn't be bad if they were nearly the same details. Sales rep also sends me pics of window stickers that are blurry and smaller print is unreadable.

Yeah, I’d ditch them. Find a few dealers within a 100 miles of you and tell them your specs and you need their best price. You will have a few that want to sell a car. Any time they ask me to come to the dealership, I write that dealer off. It’s 2020 - everything can be done online. Use Cargurus.com for your starting place - I just bought a Ferrari this way!

Last edited:
Yeah, I’d ditch them. Find a few dealers within a 100 miles of you and tell them your specs and you need their best price. You will have a few that want to sell a car. Any time they ask me to come to the dealership, I write that dealer off. It’s 2020 - everything can be done online. Use Cargurus.com for your starting place - I just bought a Ferrari this way!
Yeah, I maxed out the search range to 150 miles since the combination of specific features I was looking for wasn't showing up very much. Ended up going with a 2019 Longhorn at a dealer only 25 miles away.

Yeah, I maxed out the search range to 150 miles since the combination of specific features I was looking for wasn't showing up very much. Ended up going with a 2019 Longhorn at a dealer only 25 miles away.

Did you get the Husker Package on your Longhorn? :Corn2:

to bold.. of course that doesn't mean it was a good deal, just what others paid.

To the OP... Just know cars.com and those other sites, that show you the price and tries to tell you it is a good/fair/bad deal, is created for the dealer, not you.

I have bought and sold MANY cars in my time...

to bold.. of course that doesn't mean it was a good deal, just what others paid.

To the OP... Just know cars.com and those other sites, that show you the price and tries to tell you it is a good/fair/bad deal, is created for the dealer, not you.

I've had around 70 since 1982. ;) Obviously, "prices paid" doesn't mean a good deal, but the lower end of the prices paid certainly would, at least for that make/model.

Last edited:

Yeah, I don't trust this guy.

20200617_183109.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back