• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Pelini SI story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to partially disagree. Everyone calls the big ten a “3 yards and cloud of dust”, but in reality I would say only Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU, and Partially Michigan and PSU play that style. Everyone else runs a spread style offense.
But other than that, I agree the big 10 is better all around and I think Bo is a better DC or Big12 or ACC coach.

Agree. Though as we saw with Minnesota hammering Nebraska last season, there are other Big Ten teams fully capable and willing to punch you in the mouth at the line of scrimmage and rely on the running game. I think that's still the key to sustained success in the Big Ten.

What does it say about people when they just can’t get over him, after all these years?

Great coach. Had issues with anger. I wish him the best. He was the last coach to have any measure of success at Nebraska.

I'll go with great coordinator. He could still be a great head coach, but he's not at that level yet.

What does it say about people when they just can’t get over him, after all these years?

Great coach. Had issues with anger. I wish him the best. He was the last coach to have any measure of success at Nebraska.
Says more about themselves than Bo.

Then you were not alive in the 60's like I was and saw first hand on the sidelines (I was there for the 1970's K State game) the Bob Father do the same thing. He was demanding excellence. Was even worse for the Colorado game after the loss to K State in 1967. Players said that the week of practice before CU was worst of the Devaney era.

Bo could not hold a candle to the Bob Father when it came to screaming at players who were not performing.

Then it seems like the difference is that when Devaney yelled at the players, they played better at football. When Bo yelled at the players, the team would melt down and forget how to play football.

I heard different, but you will always get two sides with a coach that controversial and let his emotions run wild. Different man off the field.
Yes, but when you don't treat the average person in public with respect, those stories bounce all around town. I worked in the hospitality and retail fields in Vail and Beaver Creek, you know who were nice? Lou Holtz, Dan Reeves, and of all people Barry Switzer. The classiest person of all, former Michigan star, born in Omaha, Gerald Ford.

Then you were not alive in the 60's like I was and saw first hand on the sidelines (I was there for the 1970's K State game) the Bob Father do the same thing. He was demanding excellence. Was even worse for the Colorado game after the loss to K State in 1967. Players said that the week of practice before CU was worst of the Devaney era.

Bo could not hold a candle to the Bob Father when it came to screaming at players who were not performing.
I was a kid in the 60's, but I was back east going to Penn St. and Yale games before moving to Lincoln in the 70's, there's a big difference between a coach that yells at you and an abusive coach. I started out as a freshman with an abusive coach, had better coaches as a sophomore then ended up in Lincoln as a senior with Coach Solich and Coach Brolhorst as my last football coaches. Brolhorst would yell at you, but half the time it was so funny, you would be laughing to yourself, as the whole team laughed, and would say "yes Coach" while thinking "yep, I screwed up and won't do that again!"

I wish him neither ill nor success. I will say the reason I finally jumped off the Bo wagon was that when he lost his cool the team followed and fell apart. The article mentions other fiery coaches. Most good coaches have some fire. The issue is not the fire as much as how it affects the game. When Saban's fire comes out his teams up their level of play. The same was true for the Bob father. IN Bo's case I started to notice that when he would lose it with a ref the team started to play worse.

Additionally when we moved to the B1G he failed to adjust his defense to a different style of play. So he continued to do well against pass heavy MSU not so much against run heavy Wisky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back