• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Pelini SI story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong. Players feel different. Just our so called fans.
Yep, I know most of his players felt different, but when I watched him lose his mind late in the forth quarter of the Fresno St. game when the Huskers were up by 6 or 7 touchdowns, my opinion of him changed forever. Close up it was the ugliest display of an angry coach I've ever seen and I was kicked in facemask by my freshman coach in front of the whole team. He was screaming at the db's who were mostly freshman when Fresno St. finally had a drive going, their first team offense at home against the Husker's 3rd and 4th string guys. It was embarrassing. I do know a player that loved playing for him, but also heard too many stories from friends in Lincoln who witnessed him being a jerk in public. Hope he has matured.

Yep, I know most of his players felt different, but when I watched him lose his mind late in the forth quarter of the Fresno St. game when the Huskers were up by 6 or 7 touchdowns, my opinion of him changed forever. Close up it was the ugliest display of an angry coach I've ever seen and I was kicked in facemask by my freshman coach in front of the whole team. He was screaming at the db's who were mostly freshman when Fresno St. finally had a drive going, their first team offense at home against the Husker's 3rd and 4th string guys. It was embarrassing. I do know a player that loved playing for him, but also heard too many stories from friends in Lincoln who witnessed him being a jerk in public. Hope he has matured.
I heard different, but you will always get two sides with a coach that controversial and let his emotions run wild. Different man off the field.

OK, you got me... Since it's a thread about Bo...

I do think he's a good guy (with a temper), and a good coach, at least up to the level of a coordinator. It's a little disturbing that, per the article, he doesn't think his anger issues are a problem. I think it was THE problem that kept him from winning championships at NU. As my Dad used to say, "if you can keep your head when everybody around is losing theirs, you'll be a head taller than everyone else." Bo always seemed to keep it under control until the most critical moment, then he would blow a head gasket. The players would be needing a steady rock to look to in those critical moments, and he'd be flying off the handle. Totally the opposite of TO, or even BD. Devaney had a temper, but he never let it get personal. And his manner with the media was such that he could get by with a lot more.

I do wish the best for Bo, wherever his path leads. And I hope he's able to find that self-introspection that's necessary for improvement.
I liked Bo but what I got from the article is that he was the reason when they won but his behavior and antics weren't his fault. mmmmk

Ganz was right. Bo isn’t changing himself so he is going to be the one who determines how he is looked at, both as a coach and a person. I don’t think he handled being a P5 HC position that well, heck not really at YSU either when looking at how well they did most years and his tirades there. I’m glad he’s gone from Nebraska. He can stay an Asst and DC. I’d never hire him if I was an AD-mostly because I don’t think he’s a good recruiter and good representation of a HC.

Bottom Line Up Front ... He was an embarrassment to this University and I for one will be hoping his LSU defense gets torched this year and we see him lose his mind again on the sidelines so people can discuss what a nut job he was and why we were right to fire him.
Bo cannot embarrass this University any more than we are already doing to ourselves. We have followed up an embarrassing firing of FS to the tune of another firing of a +700 coach to surround him with a bunch of decisions to hire losing coaches. The jury is still out on Scott Frost.

Wrong. Players feel different. Just our so called fans.
absolutely. Had that very discussion with one of his payers a couple of days ago before this article came out. Said he still texts him once in a while and he has never seen a coach at any level that players loved more. Its the fans who don't get it. Bo had the players backs but.......unfortunately the fans didn't have BO's back even after the truth came out about our Chancellor and Athletic Director doing everything to undermine him. I see posters on here going lunatic over a 10th of a fraction of what Bo had to go through. And they act like they are human with no fault.

I heard different, but you will always get two sides with a coach that controversial and let his emotions run wild. Different man off the field.
You know its kind of funny regarding the two sides. If you met Bo in public which I did a few times he was nicer than crap to me but I didn't ask anything of him. Then you get fans who get all creepy trying to get in front of him trying to get selfies and such and all of a sudden he is a jerk because they didn't get VIP treatment from the guy.

I liked Bo but thought the head coaching stage at Nebraska was a little too big for him. Tough to argue that his temper tantrums didn't do him any favors. If you have a record like Saban's you can get away with being a bit salty. Not so much when you're not in (or at least hanging around) the top 10 at the end of the year. I think a DC position is about his ceiling. The spotlight won't shine as brightly on him and that should be a good fit.

See, that's the hypocrisy of it all.

The Bob Father won two Natty's so he could be himself, same with Saban.

Bo didn't so you people want to whine and moan about exactly the same behavior!
Texas does't get their one second back in the Big 12 Championship game and Bo is still here and no one, I mean no one is complaining about him because DONU is winning and beating U W and the Ditchchickens :).

GBR

Then you were not alive in the 60's like I was and saw first hand on the sidelines (I was there for the 1970's K State game) the Bob Father do the same thing. He was demanding excellence. Was even worse for the Colorado game after the loss to K State in 1967. Players said that the week of practice before CU was worst of the Devaney era.

Bo could not hold a candle to the Bob Father when it came to screaming at players who were not performing.

See, that's the hypocrisy of it all.

The Bob Father won two Natty's so he could be himself, same with Saban.

Bo didn't so you people want to whine and moan about exactly the same behavior!
Texas does't get their one second back in the Big 12 Championship game and Bo is still here and no one, I mean no one is complaining about him because DONU is winning and beating U W and the Ditchchickens :).

GBR
You've got a point, but I remember well watching Bob on the sidelines and have (grudgingly) watched Saban. Neither one of them took it to the level Bo did. And neither one of them (that I know of) invited the fans to kiss their a$$. Natty's definitely give you a longer leash but if you have melt-downs without them you're tightening your own noose.

42fopf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back