• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Happened...Coach changes?

I Have been an NU fan since I knew what football was and could understand the game- since about '70. The stability enjoyed was amazing although the late 70's and late 80's people wanted TO gone.

The change seemed to happen when Pearlman was hired and wanted to deemphasize football and increase academic standing for the university.

Rumor has it the previous AD did not like the vision and restrictions being presented to him and left. A few years prior several boosters and powerful people reportedly had been suggesting assistant coaching changes but FS refused. Also, many people in power were unhappy with his underwhelming recruiting and FS did nothing about it. Like others have stated there has been rumors of poor behavior but I will not repeat any as they have not been substantiated.

I believe Pearlman did not like FS and hired Pedy for the sole purpose of firing him. FS would have been fired a year earlier 7-7 season- but a few boosters and TO were able stave this off.

I did not like Pedy from the start as he appeared narcissistic- everything was about him and the athletic program was an extension of him rather than the university...a Messianic figure in his mind. He reportedly had an NFL coach all lined up to take the job but backed out shortly after letting FS go.

Callahan was a horrible hire on every level and was not supportive of it but was willing to give him a chance. After the 3rd year it was evident this would not work. Pellini was exciting in the beginning but his temper tantrums, irritability, treatment of others on the field and off was troubling and at times embarrassing. Hiring MR was a head scratcher. His personality was a lot like TO but other than that....nothing. As far as treatment of players and X's and O's he was good. Gameplanning, S&C, motivation, preparation, practice structure, etc...poor. His hands were tied by a micro managing AD in some areas.

I was and still am a believer in Solich but he did not make the changes necessary to save his job is recruiting and assistant changes- too late. My best friend and I have argued this for years, about whether he should have been fired.

I believe SF is the right coach and the assistant changes- will bear fruit sooner than later.
We won the big 12 N. and played in the big 12 championship after his third year.

He could score points and recruit. His defense cost him his job.
Where the heck did you live during that time couldn’t score until he was down 35 points and garbage time. Going for 2 down 30 under a few minutes left to pas stats to get people like you excited? 13 years later and people are still blind to his coaching. Him and Riley are close for all time worst coaches in college football.

We composed a list of steps Pederson had taken that were destroying the Husker athletic program we all loved. @Uncle Buck was the keeper of the list (I wonder if he still has it?). @Husker Country Doc started a thread on Huskerpedia, “The Case for Firing Steve Pederson” and included that list in his thread. Those were some wild times.
I wish I still had the list. Pretty impressive list put together by a bunch of Husker fans that saw what was going on.
I think docs thread was a Declaration of Independence thread. It was a think of beauty.

With 32 recruits to get top 5?

No. Just like to see a top 5 class again.

My point was Callahan brought talent to Lincoln. There is no argument there.

When he was fired the following significant returning players were on the roster in alphabetical order:

Pierre Allen, Prince Amukamara, Larry Asante, Mike Caputo, Austin Cassidy, Quentin Castille, Jared Crick, Phillip Dillard, Joe Ganz, Cody Glenn, Eric Hagg, Roy Helu Jr, Alex Henery, Blake Lawrence, Marlon Lucky, Mike Mc Neil, Terrence Moore, Lydon Murtha, Matt O'Hanlon, Niles Paul, Todd Peterson, Zach Potter, Matt Slauson, Ty Steinkhuler, Ndamukong Suh, Nate Swift, Ricky Thenarse, Barry Turner.

Other kids played roles, but this is a pretty good list of players.

No. Just like to see a top 5 class again.

My point was Callahan brought talent to Lincoln. There is no argument there.

When he was fired the following significant returning players were on the roster in alphabetical order:

Pierre Allen, Prince Amukamara, Larry Asante, Mike Caputo, Austin Cassidy, Quentin Castille, Jared Crick, Phillip Dillard, Joe Ganz, Cody Glenn, Eric Hagg, Roy Helu Jr, Alex Henery, Blake Lawrence, Marlon Lucky, Mike Mc Neil, Terrence Moore, Lydon Murtha, Matt O'Hanlon, Niles Paul, Todd Peterson, Zach Potter, Matt Slauson, Ty Steinkhuler, Ndamukong Suh, Nate Swift, Ricky Thenarse, Barry Turner.

Other kids played roles, but this is a pretty good list of players.
Good list but a lot of underachieving players.

Really? Suh and Amukamara both still extending a hello from the NFL.
Don't forget Cody Glenn, Eric Hagg, Alex Henery, Jared Crick, Phillip Dillard, Roy Helu, Lydon Murtha, Niles Paul, Matt Slauson, and I'm sure others on that list were all drafted by the NFL. Also Marlon Lucky, Mike McNeil, and Pierre Allen were UDFA, so to say they were underachieving is not quite accurate. Most may not have become standout NFL players, but even just playing one snap in the NFL puts them in the top 1% of their craft which is a pretty damn good achievement.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back