• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Federation of Fellow Fly-Fishing Football Fanatics

Make a point of both planning and carrying out whatever is necessary to get your kids fishing. While it's tough and sometimes even a frustrating pain when they're little, you're getting life-long fishing buddies of the best kind out of the deal. Fast forward a couple of decades, and you're the one holding them back. You may have to trade some quality time on trophy streams for some days with snotty noses, worms, and bluegills, but you won't be lying on your deathbed someday, wishing that you'd ignored your kids more so that you could have caught another trophy fish.

My youngest is 21 and loves to fish. He couldn't have cared less for all the years I traveled. The older son was really into it and grew 'out' of it when he hit his early teens.

I spent more quality time with my dad on fishing trips than anything else. It's a great way to teach kids many things and spend good time with them.

The older son was really into it and grew 'out' of it when he hit his early teens.

I was exactly the same except that it was in my middle-teens. What really happened, though, is that I discovered girls. After I got that part of my life back in control, I came back to fishing and hunting. I left a turkey tag unfilled when I was a senior in high school because I couldn't take time away from chasing girls.

I spent more quality time with my dad on fishing trips than anything else. It's a great way to teach kids many things and spend good time with them.

I couldn't agree more. I lost my grandfather in the spring of '94, I lost my dad in the fall of '16, and I lost my oldest brother three years ago this week. Going fishing in certain places feels like an infinitely more meaningful time of remembrance than visiting their graves. Same for hunting. Maclean was right: I'm haunted by waters.

I got out for a few hours this morning (ok, the wife kicked me out of the house). I drove up to see how high the water is on my local creek. Pretty high and fast. My casting did not improve over the winter, so it was a good thing the creek was twice as wide as it is in July! I got some interest in a brown bead head woolly bugger, but only landed a lone brown. Beautiful morning to be creek-side for a couple hours though.

IMG_3759_m.jpg
IMG_3764_m.jpg
IMG_3763_m.jpg
IMG_3761_m.jpg

Last edited:
I got out for a few hours this morning (ok, the wife kicked me out of the house). I drove up to see how high the water is on my local creek. Pretty high and fast. My casting did not improve over the winter, so it was a good thing the creek was twice as wide as it is in July! I got some interest in a brown bead head woolly bugger, but only landed a lone brown. Beatiful morning to be creek-side for a couple hours though.

View attachment 42681View attachment 42682View attachment 42683View attachment 42684
Nice pics. I wish that my wife would kick me out of the house to go fishing. The only way that happens is if I'm taking the kids out so that she can get something done.

Where's that at? It looks like about a dozen different places I know in the Black Hills.

p.s. I don't know how the words "the best" appeared on top of my fly post. I certainly do not believe that it is the best fly ever.

That's amazing. Have you ever fished in the Black Hills? There are a lot of places there that look very similar.

I've never been to the Black Hills actually. Its interesting, I just did some looking on the google machine and can see where you're coming from. The geology here is completely dominated by the volcanics of the Valles Caldera. Its one of the three supervolcano calderas in the lower 48 along with Yellowstone and the Long Valley caldera near Mammoth, CA. Lots of soft tuff which erodes quickly and gives us a lot of spires, tent rocks, deep canyons etc.

I got out for a few hours this morning (ok, the wife kicked me out of the house). I drove up to see how high the water is on my local creek. Pretty high and fast. My casting did not improve over the winter, so it was a good thing the creek was twice as wide as it is in July! I got some interest in a brown bead head woolly bugger, but only landed a lone brown. Beatiful morning to be creek-side for a couple hours though.

View attachment 42681View attachment 42682View attachment 42683View attachment 42684
Ummm that’s my picture of heaven .... :Smile:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back