• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Virtual Spring Official Game Thread (1PM CST)--4/18/20

Watch it here if you missed it

Johnny-Rodgers-TD-2020-virtual-spring-game.jpg
Thanks for posting @JHudson — finally getting a look at the presentation. Very nice.

My initial thoughts are that this a really nice marketing tool & kind of wonder if it has some useful recruiting application too.

No idea why Rex Burkhead was picked over Roger Craig.

If you read what I wrote above, I felt the same way about Andra Franklin and Tom Rathman being left out as I personally believe that those were the two best true Fullbacks to have ever worn a Nebraska uniform. With that said, Burkhead stacks up very well against Roger Craig, so that isn't much of a reach to me. Somebody had to be left out, and I'm pretty sure that they tried to highlight more recent players whenever possible while mixing in the most famous national award winners to present the best possible lineup for marketing the current program. If you were to include Craig, how do you leave out Calvin Jones or Bobby Reynolds? Calvin Jones, especially, has the career stats to stack up with anybody who wasn't in the game, and he edges out Burkhead in some categories. If you dig even deeper, Roy Helu, Jr., Marlon Lucky, Keith Jones, Derek Brown, Ken Clark, and Jeff Kinney had better career and/or single season stats than Roger Craig. Burkhead is the only one of these guys (not including Ameer) who is presently still playing in the NFL, which is more appealing to a teenage boy.

Same thing on the defensive side of the ball. Prior to Barrett Ruud's breakout seasons, Lee Kunz's '77 season was the most tackles in Nebraska history, and Clete Pillen had 2 of the 5 best seasons ever as far as tackles before Barrett Ruud showed up. I was also always a big fan of Mike Knox and Steve Damkroger, who had stats and careers that were definitely worthy of consideration, but those names don't resonate with fans younger than 50. They likely mean less to a teenage boy who is still learning about Nebraska football.

If the game was at least mildly entertaining to Nebraska fans while also portraying the program and its history positively to potential recruits, it was a success. I think it was.

Last edited:

Just when I think Husker media can’t do anything stranger, then they do. Who comes up with a virtual Spring Game?? It’s idiotic IMO. But that’s just me. I guess some Husker fans can’t get enough, even if it’s just a simulation that means ZERO

Last edited:
I didn't catch where it was Cam Taylor-Britt and Wan'Dale Robinson at the controls there at the end

I'm pretty sure Cam was playing the White squad.
Pretty sure they were not, because they weren't holding the correct controllers. :) It was a great idea to suggest that's what happened though.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back