• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Great Fights

• Thread starter Deleted member 3889
  • Start date

Every time I see Larry Holmes highlights, I think "how did anybody ever beat that guy?" He was such a ring general.

The man had one hell of a jab, moved laterally well, was a very good defensive heavyweight and had more punching power than he got credit for. He lost for the same reason a lot of boxers do.He got old. He was a guy who won his first title late (Almost 30) and by the time he started losing he was 36. Spinks was quick and young, but I still didn't think Holmes would lose to him.

I thought the Tyson loss was the end for him, but he still fought effectively if not dominantly enough to get three more title shots in his forties.

Not a 'Great Fight' or 'Great Fighter', but I loved seeing this guy punch.

Technically, he didn't do much of anything right. Frequently left himself open to counter punches. He'd throw a punch so hard he'd leave himself off balance and exposed. Defense was kind of a dirty word to Razor and a jab wasn't on the menu. I don't know that he was coach able, because some guys just aren't, but if he'd have been able to add a serviceable jab, some lateral movement, changes in his horizontal plane and learn that not every punch needed to decapitate, he could have been ridiculous. When he landed his 'Smash' it was frequently a very bad thing for the opponent and interesting to watch.

Crawford vs Dulorme

It's not exactly fight of the century material, but listen to Roy Jones Jr. break down how Bud fights. It's probably the best piece of boxing analysis you'll ever hear. I also appreciate how Max Kellerman let's a fight breathe a little with his play by play. Bud is my favorite fighter. I'd love to see the Huskers embrace him more with their PR and digital media teams. That dude bleeds Nebraska.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crawford vs Dulorme

It's not exactly fight of the century material, but listen to Roy Jones Jr. break down how Bud fights. It's probably the best piece of boxing analysis you'll ever hear. I also appreciate how Max Kellerman let's a fight breathe a little with his play by play. Bud is my favorite fighter. I'd love to see the Huskers embrace him more with their PR and digital media teams. That dude bleeds Nebraska.

:nod: I don't know if I've seen a fighter who is as complete as Bud. He is already a boxing legend and one of the greatest Nebraska athletes ever BUT....., he needs the Spence fight to cement his legacy. The one thing missing from his resume is a signature win.

:nod: I don't know if I've seen a fighter who is as complete as Bud. He is already a boxing legend and one of the greatest Nebraska athletes ever BUT....., he needs the Spence fight to cement his legacy. The one thing missing from his resume is a signature win.
Yep. I'm afraid Spence will wait until Bud is an old man or just avoids him and moves up to junior middleweight.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back