• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Cutting the Cord

Has anyone cut the cord recently? Specifically wondering how you stream the Huskers and local channels. Also any other options out there for Amazon Fire and Roku channels. 90% of what I watch is local channels, the rest is sports. I cannot really justify spending $140 a month on stuff I can get for free. I am quite happy streaming netflix, and other channels, but I have to have NFL, NHL, and NU football.

Has anyone cut the cord recently? Specifically wondering how you stream the Huskers and local channels. Also any other options out there for Amazon Fire and Roku channels. 90% of what I watch is local channels, the rest is sports. I cannot really justify spending $140 a month on stuff I can get for free. I am quite happy streaming netflix, and other channels, but I have to have NFL, NHL, and NU football.
I just recently switched from directv to YouTube TV. IT HAS BTN, and most of the sports channels. For $53.00 bucks. I figured since the programming sucks anyway why not do it cheaper.

The only downside ..... I had NFL ticket for free this past year and they offered it free for next year too. But my logic is solid

AT&T modem, Roku, Hulu, NetFlix (20 years subscriber) and Prime Video.

Toss-up between YouTubeTV and Hulu. I decided to chose Hulu because slightly more sports channels ........ BTN, SEC Network, ACCN, FS1, FS2, Bases Loaded, Goal Line and College Extra. Plus all ESPN family, NBCSn, FOX regional sports and CBSSports.

AT&T modem, Roku, Hulu, NetFlix (20 years subscriber) and Prime Video.

Toss-up between YouTubeTV and Hulu. I decided to chose Hulu because slightly more sports channels ........ BTN, SEC Network, ACCN, FS1, FS2, Bases Loaded, Goal Line and College Extra. Plus all ESPN family, NBCSn, FOX regional sports and CBSSports.
I debated between Hulu and youtubetv and the difference was youtubetv had unlimited recording.

I have Cox Cable and internet here in Omaha and I've been researching ways to "cut the cord". My problem is I have a blended house with 5 teenagers at any given time and who knows how many devices connected to my internet (phones, TV's, Alexa's, Xbox and Playstations) all streaming and surfing. I have Cox Gigablast internet which I have been happy with given all the use. If I cut cable my internet price goes up and it kind of equals out any savings I might get going to Ruku or Youtube.

Last edited:
I have Cox Cable and internet here in Omaha and I've been researching ways to "cut the cord". My problem is I have a blended house with 5 teenagers at any given time and who knows how many devices connected to my internet (phones, TV's, Alexa's, Xbox and Playstations) all streaming and surfing. I have Cox Gigablast internet which I have been happy with given all the use. If I cut cable my internet price goes up and it kind of equals out any savings I might get going to Ruku or Youtube.
You might be able to reduce your internet bill if you call. Or cancel and then renew it the same day. Their deals are often better for "new" customers.

Plenty of streaming/connected devices in my house and we run Hulu. I loved Vue better but apparently I'm about the only one. Hulu is great and my total bill is much cheaper.

I just recently switched from directv to YouTube TV. IT HAS BTN, and most of the sports channels. For $53.00 bucks. I figured since the programming sucks anyway why not do it cheaper.
But .....

I had joined Cutting the Cord club in August 2018 .... $39 per month. Now, $54/per mo. Same lineup. Probably next year, increase $64 or higher. (Hulu)

Other than Hulu price, no problems at all, very happy.

Past history: COX (horror stories) ==> DirectTV Satellite (before AT&T merger) ==> AT&T U-verse TV (expensive) ==> DISH ==> now Hulu.

I will consider switching from AT&T internet service to COX. Probably this summer.

Last edited:
But .....

I had joined Cutting the Cord club in August 2018 .... $39 per month. Now, $54/per mo. Same lineup. Probably next year, increase $64 or higher. (Hulu)

Past history: COX (horror stories) ==> DirectTV Satellite (before AT&T merger) ==> AT&T U-verse TV (expensive) ==> DISH ==> now Hulu.

I will consider switching from AT&T internet service to COX. Probably this summer.
Cox= ditto on the horror stories, directv= reception issues, billing nightmares but I got nfl ticket (only redeeming factor), centurylink = same issues, directv NOW= avoid at ALL cost, back to directv= same as above, tried Hulu for the trial period= what you said, and now YouTube tv= Jury still out but the least cost of all of them (granted same cost as Hulu).

Last edited:
But .....

How did you like Dish?

Sling is far cheaper than Hulu and YouTubeTV. Only thing, no BTN.

EDIT: Yes !!

https://www.businessinsider.com/sling-tv-channels
Big Ten Network (coming to Sling ahead of the 2020 college football season)

I believe $40 per month ..... $30 Blue + $10 add-on sports channels includes ACCN, SEC, PAC12, MLB-NFL-NBA-NHL Networks and now BTN :Woohoo: .

Only $15 cheaper than Hulu and YouTube but more sports channels.

CostNumber of Channels
Sling Orange$30 per month32
Sling Blue$30 per month47
Sling Orange + Sling Blue$45 per month53

BTW, poor Big 12 conference. Becomes a 2nd tier. Now P4 .... Big 10, SEC, ACC and Pac 12.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back