• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bass Fishing

Well, there's your problem, right there. You need to get rid of those "poles" and get yourself a fishing rod instead. Name your budget, and we'll help you out. You have a Cabela's in Reno, and this is a good starter outfit that's on sale there, right now: https://www.cabelas.com/product/fis...0/orvis-encounter-outfit/3169986.uts?slotId=0

Get the 5-weight, and you'll have 90+% of all trout fishing situations covered. You're welcome.
LOL! It's not like I don't know about the fishing in this area, It's just that I have gravitated more towards just walking and going up hills, and over boulders and down through thick brush and back up steep trails and when I hit a lake, or stream, I just like to sit there and reflect. I still have my rods and reels, lures and extra line, it's just one of those things.

I used to fish a lot of bass ponds in holt county and rock county, just south of fort randall. lots of small ponds there, in the 5-12 acre size, and some real good fishing there.

Also fished dozens of times in northern minn, and I miss that so much. To hear you speak of it BlueHowl, makes me so envious. I loved the country up there. fished mostly between the triangle of Intl falls, bemidji and out to the arrowhead. im planning a summer fishing trip for 2021 to nw ontario with my son. Need to slay some pike, small and lg mouth.

Blue Howl, where is your place at up in no minn. ??
Sounds like you were fishing a little farther north in MN than where my place is. I am located in the northern fringes of the Brainerd Lakes area, or another way of looking at it is that I am south of Leech Lake.

The Ontario trip sounds great. I have always wanted to do that.

I grew up in northeast NE, fishing on some small local ponds but primarily Missouri River fishing. Dad would let us keep the small catfish for eating but anything over 5 lbs would automatically be returned to the water. Some friends had a big fish fry and bragged about the huge catfish they caught - fish tasted terrible, greasy and poor texture. Hence Dad said "see, I told you so". Most fun was winter fishing for paddlefish and then grilling or deep fat frying that great white meat - with no bones. Never any largemouth bass for us, just the smallmouth bass, crappie, perch, and a lot of sauger.

LOL! It's not like I don't know about the fishing in this area, It's just that I have gravitated more towards just walking and going up hills, and over boulders and down through thick brush and back up steep trails and when I hit a lake, or stream, I just like to sit there and reflect. I still have my rods and reels, lures and extra line, it's just one of those things.
3vr4bd.jpg

I grew up in northeast NE, fishing on some small local ponds but primarily Missouri River fishing. Dad would let us keep the small catfish for eating but anything over 5 lbs would automatically be returned to the water. Some friends had a big fish fry and bragged about the huge catfish they caught - fish tasted terrible, greasy and poor texture. Hence Dad said "see, I told you so". Most fun was winter fishing for paddlefish and then grilling or deep fat frying that great white meat - with no bones. Never any largemouth bass for us, just the smallmouth bass, crappie, perch, and a lot of sauger.
What area of the Missouri were you fishing?

Last edited:
I have always enjoyed eating largemouth bass. Those in the 1-pound range or so seem to be quite tasty.

I wish I knew how to properly clean northerns. I have watched youtube videos but I probably need someone to show me with a hands-on demonstration to make sure I learn it correctly. I don't particularly want to choke on a fish bone.

What a fantastic idea for a forum. Love bass fishing. The lakes around Omaha are pretty lame for fishing. Biggest bass I’ve caught around here is in the 2 to 2 1/2 lbs.
Just curious....why is the fishing poor around Omaha? Too much fishing pressure? Poor lake management? Other?

I lived for a time in an apartment on Lake Regency, and I would occasionally ** **** off of the dock there. I used to catch a lot of stunted largemouths, but never anything of even decent size. But I did see some very large catfish in the lake, just cruising around.

the lakes around omaha, 25 yr ago, anyway, were good when they first opened, but then, silted in, were over fished, and some of the minnows turned into huge grass carp which destroyed the good nesting ground of bass. the combination of the 3 things hurt the fish quality and quantitiy. the lake on 160th and center ish, was terrific to fish when it opened, i used to get plenty of bass near the west side in the flooded trees, plenty of bass in the 16-17 inch range. even got a couple in the 3-3.5 lb range, but that was prob the biggest. It was fun while it lasted.

Howl, I fished plenty in that area, near Hackensack, some lakes SW of Woman Lake, ---- big sand lake, little sand lake, long lake, I stayed at a place called deer acres resort. beautiful area. you are fortunate indeed my friend.

Just curious....why is the fishing poor around Omaha? Too much fishing pressure? Poor lake management? Other?

I lived for a time in an apartment on Lake Regency, and I would occasionally ** **** off of the dock there. I used to catch a lot of stunted largemouths, but never anything of even decent size. But I did see some very large catfish in the lake, just cruising around.
I think it is the pressure. Of course there are good days and bad days (nature of the beast). Just seems that the size of the fish are smaller. Maybe it’s me.
Actually didn’t know you could fish at lake regency. Live not to far from there.
I will check into the fish stocking situation soon. There have been two new lakes open up in the last few years and I had some luck there but of course because they are new the fish are small.

Last edited:

the lakes around omaha, 25 yr ago, anyway, were good when they first opened, but then, silted in, were over fished, and some of the minnows turned into huge grass carp which destroyed the good nesting ground of bass. the combination of the 3 things hurt the fish quality and quantitiy. the lake on 160th and center ish, was terrific to fish when it opened, i used to get plenty of bass near the west side in the flooded trees, plenty of bass in the 16-17 inch range. even got a couple in the 3-3.5 lb range, but that was prob the biggest. It was fun while it lasted.

Your talking about zorinsky lake. That lake had a mussel problem so they had to drain it a few years back. I haven’t taken my kayak to that lake yet but I haven’t had any luck there anyway.

Last edited:
Fished on Lewis & Clark Lake but most of the time below Gavins Point Dam on the Missouri River. We had a cabin located about 12 miles east of Yankton, SD (on the NE side of the river). Quiet with very little fishing pressure.
Yep fished below the dam a few times. Caught my first pike and first walleye there. First time there was during paddlefish week Seeing those monsters was an eye opener :wow: Almost prehistoric

Last edited:

lol. The reason for the ** **** in my post is that a certain common phrase related to fishing (geaux fisch, or anything that contains it such as geaux fisching) is filtered out, because a certain poster used to use it repetitively as a "witty" reply, so David put a stop to it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back