• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Could Nebraska be talked into returning to the Big 12?

NU to the Big XII?

More like Oklahoma and Kansas to the Big Ten. That's the move that gets me excited more.

You get 8-team divisions that are fantastic:
West: NU, KU, OU, Iowa, Wisc, Minn, NW
East: Ill, Ind, Pur, Mich, MSU, OSU, MD, Rut

It's like an upgraded Big 8. If we got annual games against Iowa/Minn/Wisc AND OU/KU, I could die a happy man.

Don't forget PSU!

How about this?:

West: NU, KU, OU, Iowa, Wisc, Minn, NW, Ill
East: Ind, Pur, Mich, MSU, OSU, MD, Rut, PSU

Absolutely not! But I wonder if COVID does cancel the 2020 season, and it causes economic devastation to schools—-will we see league expansions expedited to be fiscally viable?

As Prairie Sage alluded to earlier, the academic benefits of being in the Big 10 outweigh any argument concerning where we should be athletically.
The same conference that kicked us out of the AAU.

I am honestly not sure of what the academic benefits have been.

I think the transition to the B1G was greatly disrupted by the coaching change/hire of Mike Riley.

Outside of that I think Bowlsby is missing the ball big time here, although cable subscriptions are down, cost of sports rights have gone up even higher due to the implications of streaming. I live in Texas and miss being able to catch a game down here every year, but don’t think it will ever happen.

Unless Nebraska's administration has a case of amnesia, the answer is no. Nobody should ever forget the way NU was treated in that awful conference, and when our old pals completely abandoned us and sided with Texas.

giphy.gif

This article is a good example of something that we can see in others that we must be on guard against appearing in ourselves: wishful thinking. If you're living in Lubbock, TX, and you're trying to figure out how to get back to that brief period of relevance for your program, you have to dream, don't you? The only coach who consistently won at Texas Tech was Mike Leach, and he ain't coming back. All of Leach's coaches and all of Leach's men. ain't puttin' Humpty Dumpty back together again ... at least not at Texas Tech. If Osborne had accepted the job in Colorado in the late 70s, and then we had been forced to watch him be successful there, we would have had to do some similar soul searching ... or mythological wishful thinking.

Why does a writer in Lubbock even care enough to think much at all about Nebraska, apart from rebuilding the Big XII? The latter half of Nebraska's years in the Big XII was the ONLY period when Texas Tech football was truly good. The conference broke up at the same time that Mike Leach was fired, and since Leach ain't coming back, some magical thinking about recreating the conference as it was then is the salve that feels good for the not-so-guns-up soul.

Lest any of us start feeling superior, we do the same things all the time. Most folks won't admit it, but there is a strong wistfulness for the nostalgic 90s in the criticisms of the 3-4 defense and a longing for some slightly updated variation of the Osborne offense. Though it would have felt like I was watching someone slowly strangle my puppy, it probably would have been better for Nebraska fans if Eichorst had hired Paul Johnson instead of Mike Riley to take over so that we had seen some similar sort of failure taking place while the offense was running the ball, and the QB was pitching the ball more than throwing it.

Nebraska is never going back to the Big XII. It's much more likely that Texas flees the coop, and the whole thing crumbles, which was what was about to happen in 2010 that triggered Osborne to start talks with the B1G. I agree with @BuffSurveyor that it's likely that there will eventually be some sort of merger between the Big XII and the Pac-12. Texas has flirted with the Pac in the past, and they were willing to take Texas and all of the Big XII Texas schools (before A&M went to the SEC). It's impossible to predict the timing, but Oklahoma going to the SEC or B1G, and/or Texas going to the Pac will likely be the first domino that falls. The B1G and the SEC hold the best cards in deciding the fate of the Big XII. Also, Kansas is a dark horse to make a move. Folks forget about Kansas, but a lot of teams in tough football conferences wouldn't mind bringing in a basketball power with name recognition that isn't much of a threat to actually win many football games. If either the B1G or the SEC (or both) make offers to Oklahoma, Texas, and/or Kansas--even if they don't accept the offer--it will change the conference, and any changes are likely to lead to its demise.

Last edited:

I think the next realignment move is the P5 conferences leaving D1 and possibly leaving the NCAA altogether. Who beyond those conferences gets invited (Notre Dame, BYU, Gonzaga) and who within the P5 conferences do not get an invite.

Unless Nebraska's administration has a case of amnesia, the answer is no. Nobody should ever forget the way NU was treated in that awful conference, and when our old pals completely abandoned us and sided with Texas.
NU bolted that Texas-run/league office-abetted autocracy because no one at the top cared much about 11 of the B12 members. Texas was the B12’s Godfather; everyone else just a lowly button man. (Exhibit A: the Longhorn Network.) Unless you’re ex-UT AD DeLoss “Mr. Big” Dodds (with B12 commish Dan Beebe in hapless cahoots), that’s no way to run a collegial organization supposedly based on mutual benefit/shared interests. Arrogantly lacking any sense of obligation to fellow B12 schools, UT acted in nonstop bad faith, with Beebe like an on-the-take official that UT owned. (Dodds: “Texas doesn’t keep up with the Jones’. We are the Jones’.”) Having been rescued from a dying SWC, it handled its B12 invitation with all the grace of a home invasion.

But it couldn’t have happened without the approval and support of the ADs from NU’s former B8 partners, who quickly became UT’s de facto co-conspirators. Conference meetings became like gatherings of the Five Families – those with less muscle deferred to UT’s self-appointed Made Man, even to their own detriment. Like Sal Tesia ditching Team Corleone for the Barzinis, they had no qualms about turning on an old colleague for a new SWC amigo … willing accomplices/reliable rubber stamps in joining the other Goodfellas in habitually siding with Mr. Big. What Texas wanted, Texas got – and their acquiescence made it possible. The cumulative impact of all those votes in solidarity with UT shaped the B12 into what it was by 2010.

They were blind to the eventual consequences of their own actions in siding with Texas on every significant vote. (Ex-officials from Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas St. have all expressed regret about their decision-making during that era.) Nebraska, on an unsustainable run of success, was atop the early B12. The others saw alignment with Texas as a way of undercutting NU’s power … a short-sighted, enemy-of-my-enemy-is-my-friend approach. They fixated on what NU had done recently, failing to consider that a smallish university from an out-of-the-way, low-population state with solid-but-not-elite financial backing likely couldn’t out-compete a vastly resourced and unscrupulous UT over the long haul. With an eye on immediate results, they disregarded the long-term effect.

And we saw what happened after Texas flipped the B12’s culture in just a few years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back