• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Spring Turkey

I'm hoping to hunt down here as well. If it ever stops freaking raining. They pushed the start back to April 1st from the usual March 20th in my zone.
I heard the SC birds are like alot of southern birds... gobble on the roost then shut up. Is it like that where you are at? I've also heard that getting the game ears headphone helps pick up the drumming sounds at a distance so you can locate those silent bastards.

I heard the SC birds are like alot of southern birds... gobble on the roost then shut up. Is it like that where you are at? I've also heard that getting the game ears headphone helps pick up the drumming sounds at a distance so you can locate those silent bastards.

They don’t make much noise at all on the ground, but I’m def as a post. They’re very active early and late from what I’ve seen, so if you can find their pockets, you can kill birds. What’s hardest for me is the cover here is so dense. They don’t cone to calls or at least not mine and they can be 100 yards from you and you can see shite. Colorado or Kansas, you’d see them come out of the trees and wandering around. You just had to be patient most of the time unless you didn’t set up right. Down here is a lot of luck, unless you know the spot real well.

They don’t make much noise at all on the ground, but I’m def as a post. They’re very active early and late from what I’ve seen, so if you can find their pockets, you can kill birds. What’s hardest for me is the cover here is so dense. They don’t cone to calls or at least not mine and they can be 100 yards from you and you can see shite. Colorado or Kansas, you’d see them come out of the trees and wandering around. You just had to be patient most of the time unless you didn’t set up right. Down here is a lot of luck, unless you know the spot real well.
Yeah my Bobby said it's a pain to get them in. If you can set up close to the roost and be patient maybe you get lucky. Never hunted dense forest before.

Yeah my Bobby said it's a pain to get them in. If you can set up close to the roost and be patient maybe you get lucky. Never hunted dense forest before.

Now that it starts so late, the ticks will be horrific. At least in mid March you have a shot at it being too cold for them to be really up and running.

I have heard some of the South Central parts of South Carolina has more old growth pine and a lot less ground cover. Bobby lives pretty close to that part of the state and might have a better go at it than I would. Around me, if it's not dense cover, it's stuff that looks like pheasants and quail should be just rolling out of the fence lines and edges. Too wet and too many predators leave us with green carp, little assed white tails and a bunch of sneaky freaking turkeys.

Now that it starts so late, the ticks will be horrific. At least in mid March you have a shot at it being too cold for them to be really up and running.

I have heard some of the South Central parts of South Carolina has more old growth pine and a lot less ground cover. Bobby lives pretty close to that part of the state and might have a better go at it than I would. Around me, if it's not dense cover, it's stuff that looks like pheasants and quail should be just rolling out of the fence lines and edges. Too wet and too many predators leave us with green carp, little assed white tails and a bunch of sneaky freaking turkeys.
Maybe Bobby sucks at it but he said it's really thick where he's hunting, and them being silent just kills it. He also said they don't come out into open fields like they do in Kansas...now I'm gonna have to go to SC next season to give it a whirl.

Maybe Bobby sucks at it but he said it's really thick where he's hunting, and them being silent just kills it. He also said they don't come out into open fields like they do in Kansas...now I'm gonna have to go to SC next season to give it a whirl.

I do see them in open fields a lot when I'm just driving in different parts of the state. Of course that's not during turkey season and I'm in my truck. Also the definition of 'Open field' in Kansas and South Carolina aren't really remotely similar. See them a lot near fence lines and right at the edges of country roads. Last year we had a flock that went from their roost to the lake right through the back of our property, just behind the fence. The dogs would go ape and I figured it was deer or a neighbors dog. Sitting on the back porch one morning drinking coffee and the dogs lose their religion. I'm sitting up on the deck and can see the whole flock just strolling across the top of our property. First and last time I ever saw them.

I do see them in open fields a lot when I'm just driving in different parts of the state. Of course that's not during turkey season and I'm in my truck. Also the definition of 'Open field' in Kansas and South Carolina aren't really remotely similar. See them a lot near fence lines and right at the edges of country roads. Last year we had a flock that went from their roost to the lake right through the back of our property, just behind the fence. The dogs would go ape and I figured it was deer or a neighbors dog. Sitting on the back porch one morning drinking coffee and the dogs lose their religion. I'm sitting up on the deck and can see the whole flock just strolling across the top of our property. First and last time I ever saw them.
Well Shiite, I dunno what else to say other than keep after it. If you want to come to Kansas let me know.

Well Shiite, I dunno what else to say other than keep after it. If you want to come to Kansas let me know.

I have to get back again for pheasant, that's for sure, but I need to find something I enjoy hunting here. My travel time is limited these days.

I have to get back again for pheasant, that's for sure, but I need to find something I enjoy hunting here. My travel time is limited these days.
Squirrels. You've got lots of woods, you have to have squirrels. You tie flies, right? Squirrel tails and squirrel pelts are incredibly useful for fly tying. Best of all: you can shoot squirrels in your back yard. If you don't hate squirrels, go buy a bird feeder and try and keep them out, and the dark side will grow within you like a Sith lord in training. If the spouse doesn't approve, encourage her to plant some lettuce in an open garden and then try and keep the rabbits out. Nothing outside of the poor choices of a husband brings out a wife's lust for killing like pests in a garden.

Here are some videos from some awesome channels for backyard varminting:

Fwiw, the Brits are really into air rifle hunting ... since they have such a hard time getting the real thing, I suppose. Here's a video from a guy who runs a great Brit channel on varmint hunting:

Here's one from a South African guy's cool channel:

If you're having a stressful day, and you feel like punching someone, here's a better alternative: grab a beer, sit in a comfortable chair, and watch some squirrels and rabbits enter the ever-after. If you can't hunt, it makes you feel better.

If you like those, I dare you to do some YouTube searches for coyote and hog hunting. (You're welcome.)

I'll do some satellite scouting for you, what area again?

I hunt Western Kansas. Old habit from hunting out there when I lived in Colorado. Sherman, Cheyenne, Thomas and Rawlins counties. Basically north of I-70 and West of Colby to the Northern border with Nebraska and the Colorado state line. That seems like a fur piece for you to go.....but I'd be grateful. :)

Squirrels. You've got lots of woods, you have to have squirrels. You tie flies, right? Squirrel tails and squirrel pelts are incredibly useful for fly tying. Best of all: you can shoot squirrels in your back yard. If you don't hate squirrels, go buy a bird feeder and try and keep them out, and the dark side will grow within you like a Sith lord in training. If the spouse doesn't approve, encourage her to plant some lettuce in an open garden and then try and keep the rabbits out. Nothing outside of the poor choices of a husband brings out a wife's lust for killing like pests in a garden.

Here are some videos from some awesome channels for backyard varminting:

Fwiw, the Brits are really into air rifle hunting ... since they have such a hard time getting the real thing, I suppose. Here's a video from a guy who runs a great Brit channel on varmint hunting:

Here's one from a South African guy's cool channel:

If you're having a stressful day, and you feel like punching someone, here's a better alternative: grab a beer, sit in a comfortable chair, and watch some squirrels and rabbits enter the ever-after. If you can't hunt, it makes you feel better.

If you like those, I dare you to do some YouTube searches for coyote and hog hunting. (You're welcome.)

I've got squirrels everywhere on our property....or I should say...had. The dogs kill one about every week lately. The one I shot was coming out of the bird house.....after chewing a giant hole in the front of it. Bastard. The wife wasn't happy when I went to the house, took my .45 out of the pistol safe on the night stand and blew that thing to kingdom come. Not happy at all I say.

The videos look like a riot.

I used to hunt Coyotes for a rancher in Colorado when I was a kid. Made more money doing that on the weekends than all my other part time jobs put together.

I used to hunt Coyotes for a rancher in Colorado when I was a kid. Made more money doing that on the weekends than all my other part time jobs put together.

Well, then ...

Pro tip: Nobody has a "great" coyote hunt. It's either "epic," or it's not worth discussing. On the other hand, this one doesn't qualify as "epic" by its title, but this is the one that I liked the most:

Last edited:

I hunt Western Kansas. Old habit from hunting out there when I lived in Colorado. Sherman, Cheyenne, Thomas and Rawlins counties. Basically north of I-70 and West of Colby to the Northern border with Nebraska and the Colorado state line. That seems like a fur piece for you to go.....but I'd be grateful. :)
I actually meant in SC, but I travel to Western Kansas on a regular basis to hunt.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back