• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So.............

Goal-line

Varsity
10 Year Member
What are all of you doing to pass the time during your self imposed limited exile?

First, I have been writing a book for my grand children and am into my third edit/read/re-write. Still have a long way to go. After the text is finished, I will start my illustrations. Hope to have it done by the end of this year.

Secondly, I am also watching every NU football game available on Youtube. There are a lot of them available.

Thirdly, I am trying to learn more guitar chords and chord structure.

Fourth, cleaning out some miscellaneous items from our basement storage room.

Lastly, playing catch with the 9 year old grand son outside and helping the other 8 year old grandson with some art work.

Should be cleaning out my shop but I absolutely hate that job. Need to get the mower ready for the summer.

I'm almost jealous, self employed, still working everyday but then coming straight home and spending evenings here. We're still able to work but we've instituted safe guards, our customers call and we meet them on the street and call when the job is done to deliver the same way. After a while you start to get the attitude that everyone is trying to kill you, I'm serious and it's not a pleasant way to run your life. Almost hoping for the mandatory lock down for non essentials as the only ones shopping are the high risk elderly. My family visited my mother in her nursing home today as it is her 94th Birthday but she is in quarantine so we had to visit outside her window.... trying times indeed.

What are all of you doing to pass the time during your self imposed limited exile?

First, I have been writing a book for my grand children and am into my third edit/read/re-write. Still have a long way to go. After the text is finished, I will start my illustrations. Hope to have it done by the end of this year.

Secondly, I am also watching every NU football game available on Youtube. There are a lot of them available.

Lastly, playing catch with the 9 year old grand son outside and helping the other 8 year old grandson with some art work.

Should be cleaning out my shop but I absolutely hate that job. Need to get the mower ready for the summer.
Been pitching to my grandson,and between doctor visits, I am building more shelves in my shed.Huskermax gets a good deal of my time too.Keep the faith.GBR.

I’m doing exactly the same thing I always do, except I dont have to travel for work and there’s zero anxiety or guilt about events upcoming or skipped. But, we are getting some rooms painted and flooring installed which is nice. Hopefully get my jam space put together this week as well...

Good luck with the book.
Me, well i have a mandated 2 week break from work (not my health) and then possibly continue my job from home for a few months.
My garage is calling to be cleaned, but I'll do that tomorrow.

I've always worked from home so this is no different. I can tell you the kids and I are going to be at war if the remaining of the school year is closed and they are home with me until August. :) I will practice social distancing every weekend by being out at a lake minding my own business.

I'm actually busier than normal. I work from home but I have teams of people across the country at client locations supporting the computer needs of our customers. With everyone being sent home to work we've been extra busy getting them setup with new hardware and connectivity. Lots of new and unique challenges every day but I have great people.

Btw. Many of them are in Seattle and so far, knock on wood, nobody has gotten sick.

Busier than normal here as well.

Unfortunately it's not entirely a productive busy, but busy none the less.

Mothballing a large commercial or industrial construction project isn't as simple as turning off the lights and locking the door. We've got the remaining project team members documenting the condition of everything, securing the building(s) and site, notifying subcontractors, vendors, insurance and bonding companies, etc. and getting anything that needs to be removed prior to the shutdown gone. For the rest of the jobs still active, we're planning and discussing how to keep working and what they'll need to do if/when they get shut down. Other than one privately funded project, all of the owner's we're building for have communicated with us about expected shutdowns that either they originate or the government originates. The only guys this will really effect in construction in a non negative way are those salaried guys who've been sent home or to a regional office, but still have jobs. Thankfully many of our contracts have provisions which will allow us to cover their cost during this event, but not all of them do.) I couldn't even guess how many hourly employees our subcontractors on the four mothballed projects have had to let go. The projects had a total of just over 1,000 craft workers on them, but thankfully some were reassigned. I let my sixteenth and seventeenth employee go this morning which will be or should be it until the next project gets mothballed. We're all hoping this turns around quickly, these projects get back on line and I can get these folks back to work. Some will have had to move on if they can find something else, which will further complicate things. Others took the layoff personal and would rather shoot me in the face than talk to me. I get it and it's part of what sucks so bad about this. These are good guys I didn't want to lose.

So looking at this from a complete shutdown standpoint, I'd still be working on line and on the phone. We'll be in constant contact with owners, designers, subcontractors, employees, etc. planning for the startup and next steps. THe freaking zombie apocalypse comes and I won't even get a day off. Lovely.

I came home from Washington State and thought I would be out of work for two weeks because the Wisconsin Department of Health recommended it based on traveling from an area with “sustained community transmission”. But my employer said, “No you don’t have to self-quarantine unless you are symptomatic.” Which I thought was pretty funny since I work at a Children’s Hospital. So on Monday I went to work, promptly got exposed to a colleague who tested positive that night and got banned from work. Then I was asked to come in and get tested for the virus Yesterday (too soon), which I did and it was negative. And now I’m supposed to be on-call and potentially at work on Sunday. Craziness.....

So I’ve been playing lots of guitar and tying some trout and steelhead flies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back