• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fly fishing trips this year?

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
I am going to hit Cimarron Canyon NM before the crowds arrive in late may.

Hopefully Valle Vidal in early July.

Possibly a quick trip over to the Smokies mid April though most of that will be work. Maybe a half a day on the water?

I don't have anything special beyond my "usual" stuff. I'm headed to East Verdigre Creek today. I'll fish in the Black Hills a couple weekends or more. I'll fish in and around northern Virginia for a week or so this summer when we visit my in-laws, and I hopefully find time to stop and fish in a place or two along the way. Other than that it's probably just my kids and me at the local city pond and a few days on the Missouri River reservoirs.

I don't have anything special beyond my "usual" stuff. I'm headed to East Verdigre Creek today. I'll fish in the Black Hills a couple weekends or more. I'll fish in and around northern Virginia for a week or so this summer when we visit my in-laws, and I hopefully find time to stop and fish in a place or two along the way. Other than that it's probably just my kids and me at the local city pond and a few days on the Missouri River reservoirs.

post pics if you can !

img.jpg(6).jpeg

post pics if you can !
Too late. It was rough going at East Verdigre, actually. All of the rainbows are stocked, so I usually take a limit home, but I actually get more of a kick out of catching the wild browns. I've caught one that was just under 20", and I've spooked a couple from the holding area that were pushing 30". I've never seen one actually bite or chase or even acknowledge my fly. I'm pretty sure those big boys are eating rainbows, probably about one per week.

Because there's so little vegetation in the water, right now--though there is still some water cress--they were very spooky because there aren't that many places to hide. On top of that it was such a bright, sunny day that it was all but impossible to not spook them by breaking up their horizon. I've never seen them so jumpy. I still managed to catch a couple, but they were NOT the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Fwiw, I have purposefully chosen to keep an ancient cell phone that does almost nothing online, and its camera broke more than a year ago. (I like owning my cell phone versus the other way around.) If I want pictures, I have to plan ahead. I'll see what I can do next time.

Anyone do much fly fishing in the Niobrara?

A plug for my home state.

“Silver Creek is an iconic Western trout stream,” Chad Chorney said. “It’s one of those streams that if you’re a trout fisherman, you should fish it in your lifetime.”

A plug for my home state.

“Silver Creek is an iconic Western trout stream,” Chad Chorney said. “It’s one of those streams that if you’re a trout fisherman, you should fish it in your lifetime.”

I have a buddy who lives nearby who has offered to take me there. I said that based on its reputation for snobbish trout, I'd prefer it if he would take me to a lesser-known stream with more mentally challenged trout. ;)

I’ll make a trip to the NC mountains this year to fly fish. Not sure when. I’ll also do more warm water fly fishing this year in the lake I like on. It can be a lot of fun when the bass are in shallow water during the spawn.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back