• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Good News For Gaylord

• Thread starter Deleted member 3889
  • Start date
Awesome! I think everyone expected it, but it's good to get the official word.

Now, we just need him to stay healthy all year and take care of that knee.

When I have to say, "who?" is it really good news?

I hope his 6th year is impactful

Believe he graded the best in the Spring, and he was set to be a rotation guy last year. He definitely would have given us options as people got banged up or had bad matchups. Happy he's back as it looks like we may have 4 solid OT's this year (Jaimes, Farniok, Benhardt, Gaylord) and maybe 5 (depending on what we do with Bando and if any of the others develop)

Farniok had a terrible matchup against OSU, ,Hixson had a bad matchup against Iowa, Jaimes hurt his ankle against IL and played slow for a few games. The more options, the better and at least I feel like we may have a second team that can step in without a big drop off this year.

I think Austin and Frost would have nudged him on if they did not think he could contribute so look at this as a positive. And good for the kid after losing his dad. Win/win/win.

For sure they would have nudge him out if they didn’t think he was going to play.

They can move Farniok to guard now and have a nice 3 man look at tackle with Jaimes, Gaylord and Benhardt . They will have tons of options at guard and if guys do go down they can move Farniok back to to tackle, bring in Hixon or Piper or forget his name, the guy who went to IMG.
Lots of options

My view of the top group:

OT: Jaimes, Farniok, Gaylord, Benhart, Bando
OG: Wilson, Hixson, Piper, Sichterman, others?
OC: Jurgens, Farniok/Wegener, Forbes/Miller?

OT/OG - Farniok, Bando, Sichterman

Best 5 see the field, but I feel good about most of this list so there will be excellent competition this spring

That said, I don't see us upending the entire line this year, just because continuity is important, but we'll have to mix and match to make sure we don't lose much if people get hurt

One interesting note. Nebraska's only had 13 (or maybe 14 now?) true freshman offensive lineman play in school history. 3 of them played last year. Really a commentary on where the depth was last year... Crazy

Believe he graded the best in the Spring, and he was set to be a rotation guy last year. He definitely would have given us options as people got banged up or had bad matchups. Happy he's back as it looks like we may have 4 solid OT's this year (Jaimes, Farniok, Benhardt, Gaylord) and maybe 5 (depending on what we do with Bando and if any of the others develop)

Farniok had a terrible matchup against OSU, ,Hixson had a bad matchup against Iowa, Jaimes hurt his ankle against IL and played slow for a few games. The more options, the better and at least I feel like we may have a second team that can step in without a big drop off this year.
Had the best OL grade in 2018. Was the reason we thought we could move Farniok to guard but when he went down in fall camp we didn't want to force true freshman Benhart into the role.

Competition is a good thing.

Had the best OL grade in 2018. Was the reason we thought we could move Farniok to guard but when he went down in fall camp we didn't want to force true freshman Benhart into the role.

Competition is a good thing.

This also has to be the year for the o-line that ONE guy does not make the difference between a functional and non functional line.
It can't just depend on Gaylord playing, Benhart, Piper, Band, Corcoran, and others have to be in the 2 deep and viable BIG lineman this in 2020 if DONU is to have a winning season.
Oh and we need to find one more RB, its a long hard season, and I am afraid we are one body short in the RB room even using the Duck R people to take carries.

GBR

Last edited:

This also has to be the year for the o-line that ONE guy does not make the difference between a functional and non functional line.
It can't just depend on Gaylord playing, Benhart, Piper, Band, Corcoran, and others have to be in the 2 deep and viable BIG lineman this in 2020 if DONU is to have a winning season.
Oh and we need to find one more RB, its a long hard season, and I am afraid we are one body short in the RB room even using the Duck R people to take carries.

GBR
Ya, I think it was more than just one last year. Even moving Farniok to guard you would have had a new starter at center and right tackle, plus Wilson’s struggles. But I get your point, and Coach Austin has plenty of optione.

RB scares me. Mills can’t get injured in spring or fall camp. I love our first and second year guys there, but they are inexperienced. Washington leaving gives us less of a buffer there.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back