• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos on scheduling former conference members

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
Doesn’t this quote beg the question of why the hell are we in the Rust Belt conference to begin with? Imagine, playing other programs regularly “in our part of the country”.

what a novel concept.

5FB4E83C-F40F-4B3E-AE67-7ADF9B0DE4F3.jpeg

Last edited:

If Frosty wants more Indiana and other softies from the B1G East on the schedule, then how long till we hear what’s wrong with the Jayhawks?
#justsayin

I honestly wouldn't mind playing Kansas. I know they are not good right now, but we seem to make other not so good teams look better than they are. Home and home with KU would be fine for me.

I still think it was the right move. The Big 12 has stabilized but is still vulnerable. If Texas leaves it's over. It's not hard to imagine the PAC 12 taking in Texas to bolster their media rights negotiations to close the gap on the SEC and B1G. OU would find a soft landing spot (likely with Texas) but I'm not sure any other Big 12 team would be a lock to find another Power conference to join.

I like the idea of scheduling games against old Big 8 schools, though.

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't mind playing Kansas. I know they are not good right now, but we seem to make other not so good teams look better than they are. Home and home with KU would be fine for me.
Throw in a Bethune or a Buffalo like in 2021 and now we have something. And if Rutgers happens to also be on the schedule better call the travel agents for some December travel.

But I’m certainly not against KU.

Last edited:

Money covers that I think.
For me its more than money - its relevance, its the ability to attract coaches & recruits and it is future stability.

Working backwards ... after NU/MU/CU left ... rumors persist and still do so even today of Texas and Oklahoma leaving the B12. It is a midwestern based conference with West Virginia in it! Can you envision a scenario where Michigan and tOSU leave the Big Ten? Can you envision a scenario where UT and OU leave the B12? What would the B12 with Nebraska in it but not UT and OU look like?

NU is part of the 2nd best conference in college football - and the gap between 1 & 2 is much narrower than the gap between 2 & 3. The B1G has had the 2nd most teams in the CFP. It has probably the best bowl lineup. It has more media exposure than any conference. We still lead the West in recruiting ... even with our poor conference performance the last 4/5 years. We are relevant in the B1G and if Frost et al can put a winning product on the field our relevance will only enhance.

For me its more than money - its relevance, its the ability to attract coaches & recruits and it is future stability.

Working backwards ... after NU/MU/CU left ... rumors persist and still do so even today of Texas and Oklahoma leaving the B12. It is a midwestern based conference with West Virginia in it! Can you envision a scenario where Michigan and tOSU leave the Big Ten? Can you envision a scenario where UT and OU leave the B12? What would the B12 with Nebraska in it but not UT and OU look like?

NU is part of the 2nd best conference in college football - and the gap between 1 & 2 is much narrower than the gap between 2 & 3. The B1G has had the 2nd most teams in the CFP. It has probably the best bowl lineup. It has more media exposure than any conference. We still lead the West in recruiting ... even with our poor conference performance the last 4/5 years. We are relevant in the B1G and if Frost et al can put a winning product on the field our relevance will only enhance.

I don't disagree with what you’re saying, but NU staying in the Big 12 would have lended stability. Somehow without that stability Big 12 schools continue to our perform Nebraska in many if not most athletic endeavors. Sure, we’re stable and financially liquid, but we haven’t done much of anything with it, IMO.

Because a home and home with KU doesn't necessarily make financial sense. And I doubt they'd do a 2 for 1 agreement.
I'm not sure how it doesn't make financial sense as opposed to Oklahoma State or Colorado for example. The year we have them in Lincoln we retain all of the monies from that game - while the year the game is in Lawrence they retain all the monies for that game.

Relatively speaking the university makes the same amount of money every home game whether it is Wisconsin, Kansas, Oklahoma or South Dakota State.

Additionally I would try for the 2 for 1 by suggesting that a game in Lawrence is a guaranteed sellout since our fan base travels so well - that additional income could offset the cost of losing that second home game.

I'm not sure how it doesn't make financial sense as opposed to Oklahoma State or Colorado for example. The year we have them in Lincoln we retain all of the monies from that game - while the year the game is in Lawrence they retain all the monies for that game.

Relatively speaking the university makes the same amount of money every home game whether it is Wisconsin, Kansas, Oklahoma or South Dakota State.

Additionally I would try for the 2 for 1 by suggesting that a game in Lawrence is a guaranteed sellout since our fan base travels so well - that additional income could offset the cost of losing that second home game.

Unless KU turns their football program around, which probably isn't likely, the game will not get a good TV slot or channel placement. And playing them doesn't do much to help NU's potential ranking for a bigger bowl or playoff. Okie State is a much better draw for TV and for potential playoff implications.
All of this of course is assuming that nothing much changes from the way things are now, which I admit is a faulty assumption on my part.

Because a home and home with KU doesn't necessarily make financial sense. And I doubt they'd do a 2 for 1 agreement.
You might be right, how about a home and then neutral sight like arrowhead or something like that where we get part of the money. Just an idea, may not be practical.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back