• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most under-rated Huskers?

Hard to believe there are ignorant people that think bo was a terrible coach. Nine wins or more year in year out and you think he still sucks. You must believe Riley was a huge dumpster fire then.

Mods...merged to the wrong thread!!! :thumbsup:

3mt5nn.jpg

Last edited:

I may catch flack, but I would also add Taylor Martinez to the mix.

T Mart was just 129 passing yards short of being 1 of but a handful of NCAA QB’s to ever join the 3000 passing 1000 rushing club.
Maybe not underrated but definitely underappreciated. I assume because a lot of people thought he was a prima donna

Maybe not underrated but definitely underappreciated. I assume because a lot of people thought he was a prima donna
Extremely under appreciated IMO. But also frustrating to watch him be so inconsistent. He was either very high or very low. I think more than anything, thats why people are so chasmed with Tmart.

Extremely under appreciated IMO. But also frustrating to watch him be so inconsistent. He was either very high or very low. I think more than anything, thats why people are so chasmed with Tmart.

Agree. He was a strange guy, ,so think people had a hard time relating to him, and on top of that, he just wasn't the same player after the high ankle sprain as a Frosh, and then other injuries later. He played with a lot of pain and mostly played very well, I think.

T Mart was just 129 passing yards short of being 1 of but a handful of NCAA QB’s to ever join the 3000 passing 1000 rushing club.

Yup. TMagic gets flack for never winning a conference title and his passing mechanics. But he did manage to get us INTO TWO conference championship games in two different conferences. And single-handedly rewrote the Husker record book.

And in the same vein, so did Tommy Armstrong. Both guys were 4 year starters and had as big a will to win as any Husker I've seen. We just never had all the supporting pieces in place.

Yup. TMagic gets flack for never winning a conference title and his passing mechanics. But he did manage to get us INTO TWO conference championship games in two different conferences. And single-handedly rewrote the Husker record book.

And in the same vein, so did Tommy Armstrong. Both guys were 4 year starters and had as big a will to win as any Husker I've seen. We just never had all the supporting pieces in place.
Most people just don’t realize how freakish of an athlete he was. His 1st 2 seasons he didn’t even make the correct reads on zone read plays. He decided pre-snap if he was going to take or give. Now take that info and go rewatch his games and you’ll realize how crazy his running ability truly was.

Would you believe Tommy Armstrong Jr. holds these Husker all time records?

#1 career passing yards, 8,871
#1 career passing TDs, 67
#1 career total offense, 10,690 yards
#4, #6, and #10 single season passing yards, 3,030 (2015), 2,695 (2014), and 2,180 (2016)
#3, #4, and #10 single season total offense, 3,430 (2015), 3,400 (2014), and 2,692 (2016
#7, #9 in single game total offense, 431 (2015, Southern Miss), 422 (2014, USC)
Twice in a 3-way tie for 5th in single season TDs (with Vince Ferragamo) with 22 (2014, 2015)

If it had been possible to combine the 2010 Taylor Martinez's rushing ability with the 2012 Taylor Martinez's passing ability, he would have been the best Taylor Martinez ever. ;)

He made me SO nervous, all the time, but I loved watching him play.

Nebraska has had a lot of QBs who got the blame when the offense as a whole wasn't where it should have been, and/or we hyped up our expectations so much that he couldn't meet them:
  • Steve Taylor
  • '96 Scott Frost
  • Jamal Lord
  • Taylor Martinez
  • Tommy Armstrong
I believe that every one of the above would have been improved and unleashed with Mario Verduzco as their QB Coach.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back