• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost is doubling down on his system with the Lubick hire

I think it certainy helps that Lubick knows and understands the Oregon offense . . . so there's less time that would be spent on getting up to speed with the core of what Frost is doing. But ML's been around a lot of other good offenses and OC's. As others have said, I would hope that this is an opportunity to have Lubick help modify and improve what needs to be modified and improved.

Hopefully his first few hours involves shredding the swing pass pages in the playbook.

Screen pass to the slot receiver (Spielman or W. Robinson) is going to look a lot better with Omar Manning out in front of them blocking. Underneath routes to the slot receiver are going to look a lot better with Omar Manning getting downfield. “That guy” on the outside is the piece we didn’t have in 2019 that we did in 2018 (Stanley Morgan). Whether it was talent or coaching, I don’t know, but we had zero presence at outside receiver in 2019. Manning can be that guy assuming he takes care of things academically. Just that one guy alone may make Lubick look like twice the coach that Walters was.

Last edited:
I like the idea & am all in as well - the offense, & especially the WR position struggled... plus ML sounds like a better recruiter.

OLB's & ST also struggled this past season... each respective assistant is being replaced. FIgures only the Frost climate deniers would be up in arms about HCSF taking swift action to address any shortcomings in his staff.

When I look back at what we did in the second half of 2018 and down the stretch in 2019, I see a scheme that can go into B10 stadiums and run up a lot of yards and points.

Second half of 2018
Minnesota 53 pts, 659 yards
Ohio State 31 pts, 450 yards
Illinois 54 pts, 606 yards
Michigan State (winter conditions) 9 pts, 248 yards
Iowa 28 pts, 400 yards

Last year down the stretch:
Indiana 31 pts, 514 yards
Purdue 27 pts, 375 yards (awful QB play that day)
Wiscy 21 pts, 497 yards
Maryland 54 pts, 531 yards
Iowa 24 pts, 284 yards (2 big turnovers)

I think we can put up 30 pts and 500 yards against even good B10 defenses. Now we need to learn to stop their offenses

As others have said, I'm also a proponent of adding some heavier sets/power to the mix. Frost has talked about adding old style power and we ran the I a tad this year and there were rumors of FB/HBack type things, but never really saw much of it last year. Hopefully with another year we see more of that for some packages

Last edited:
I think it certainy helps that Lubick knows and understands the Oregon offense . . . so there's less time that would be spent on getting up to speed with the core of what Frost is doing. But ML's been around a lot of other good offenses and OC's. As others have said, I would hope that this is an opportunity to have Lubick help modify and improve what needs to be modified and improved.

Hopefully his first few hours involves shredding the swing pass pages in the playbook.
They don't need to remove it, but it should be at the very back of the playbook until we develop the threat of a downfield/vertical passing game

My hope is that Frost can add a few wrinkles like some FB/TE play that will modify the classic Oregon system to be more suitable for the meatgrinder B1G.

I think we can let go of the hope for FB play in the Frost era. I understand the sentiment intended here - not suggesting you are saying you want a FB on the roster again - but that position doesn't fit in his scheme. Now TE is another matter ... if Nebraska is intentional about including the TE in the plan I think we'd all be happy.

Probably fall over in amazement, but we'd be happy.

uh... Ohio state runs a spread system. Penn state runs one too.. Minnesota does as well.. Spread works. Hell spread works in NFL too as more and more teams are adopting its elements and running a mixed bag. As others have said, its getting your players to execute and be physical. That been the transitional element that makes us inconsistent. Part of that is development, another part is experience, and the rest is talent. But I wouldn't go so far as to say he completely relies on the spread system. He wouldn't have dashed those power formations in during the Ohio St game otherwise. I think its more, if we cant run our fundamentals consistent yet, we aren't ready for the power option either.

I’m in the camp that a Pac 12/Big 12 spread offense won’t work in the Big 10. We’ve been trying variations of it for what, a decade now? Not much success. Northwestern and Indiana run that style with limited success. I just don’t think that scheme holds up to the physicality of the conference.

Sure hope I have no clue what I’m talking about!
I would think it would be hard to judge if Scott’s offense can hold up to the grind. Since everyone says there wasn’t any talent when he arrived. Now with three classes in the books of his recruits I believe next year and beyond you can start to make this kind of assumption.

When I look back at what we did in the second half of 2018 and down the stretch in 2019, I see a scheme that can go into B10 stadiums and run up a lot of yards and points.

Second half of 2018
Minnesota 53 pts, 659 yards
Ohio State 31 pts, 450 yards
Illinois 54 pts, 606 yards
Michigan State (winter conditions) 9 pts, 248 yards
Iowa 28 pts, 400 yards

Last year down the stretch:
Indiana 31 pts, 514 yards
Purdue 27 pts, 375 yards (awful QB play that day)
Wiscy 21 pts, 497 yards
Maryland 54 pts, 531 yards
Iowa 24 pts, 284 yards (2 big turnovers)

I think we can put up 30 pts and 500 yards against even good B10 defenses. Now we need to learn to stop their offenses

As others have said, I'm also a proponent of adding some heavier sets/power to the mix. Frost has talked about adding old style power and we ran the I a tad this year and there were rumors of FB/HBack type things, but never really saw much of it last year. Hopefully with another year we see more of that for some packages

PROBLEM IS, Nebraska has to have the poorest point-to-yardage ratio in the country. Meaning, we could move the ball, and generate yards, but not many points to show for it.

Case in point:

514 yds, and 31 pts vs. Indiana at home in 2019.

IIRC, first half vs. Purdue yielded lots of yards, yet the margin at half was close.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back