• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dawson replaces Dewitt as OLB coach, Held promoted to Recruiting Coordinator, Austin Run Game Coordinator, Fisher gets 125k raise

Apologize to backtrack here, but we may not be done.

I'm just happy they aren't just talking about addressing any necessary changed but seem to actually be putting visible action behind it. I get it, during the season, you can only keep hamming the nail as its too little too late to change much of anything. But the off-season shows whether or not your going to continue to accept it or try something different to find the right formula.

I appreciate that you and the others took the question seriously and did not just jump down my throat for questioning it. Your speculation is as good as any. AM definitely went backwards. His throwing motion changed and not for the better. That is why i asked what I did.
It's rumored that he had both his knee and his shoulder worked on since the season ended, so the questions that come to mind are 1) when did each injury occur, and 2) how much did it affect running/throwing? I've gone back and rewatched his fumble early in the Colorado game multiple times because I instinctively and instantly worried that he'd reinjured either his shoulder or his knee when he got hit so hard, so low, and landed awkwardly. He got up and used his throwing hand to unsnap his helmet like nothing had happened, but I always thought that maybe something did, and part of why I thought that was because of how strange everything got as the game went on. He played late like he was hurt, and Frost not calling any passing plays in OT would have fit that theory. Frost doesn't discuss injuries, so it made sense that he didn't really have a reasonable answer ready after the game for why his play-calling got so conservative. IF Martinez was injured during the Colorado game, Frost wasn't going to advertise it, and he's not very good at lying, so he'd probably give an awkward answer, much like what he actually did.

It's just a theory.

Last edited:

It's rumored that he had both his knee and his shoulder worked on since the season ended, so the questions that come to mind are 1) when did each injury occur, and 2) how much did it affect running/throwing? I've gone back and rewatched his fumble early in the Colorado game multiple times because I instinctively and instantly worried that he'd reinjured either his shoulder or his knee when he got hit so hard, so low, and landed awkwardly. He got up and used his throwing hand to unsnap his helmet like nothing had happened, but I always thought that maybe something did, and part of why I thought that was because of how strange everything got as the game went on. He played late like he was hurt, and Frost not calling any passing plays in OT would have fit that theory. Frost doesn't discuss injuries, so it made sense that he didn't really have a reasonable answer ready after the game for why his play-calling got so conservative. IF Martinez was injured during the Colorado game, Frost wasn't going to advertise it, and he's not very good at lying, so he'd probably give an awkward answer, much like what he actually did.

It's just a theory.
He had his left shoulder worked on. He got beat up, started overthinking, got frustrated, and lost confidence. It didn't help that he didn't have great playmakers around him.

He had his left shoulder worked on. He got beat up, started overthinking, got frustrated, and lost confidence. It didn't help that he didn't have great playmakers around him.
The one thing I don’t get, if AM was hurt, why play him so much injured? Vedral and McCaffrey were injured parts of the year, but not the whole time.

I guess I’m thinking his performance led to losing his mojo, which does nothing to help his future, so why not play the others more? If Scott was thinking it would hurt his confidence to sit him, I’m guessing his performance issues due to injury hurt him just as much as sitting him would have. Plus he could have had surgery sooner to be ready sooner and have a longer time frame to heal before live action in 2020.

It's hard to get an accurate read on our coaching staff. Fortunately, we have folks on here close to the program with background and insight that go beyond the 'smell and eyeball test.' When the staff went 11-0 and handed Auburn their lunch and all decided to follow Frost to Nebraska, I didn't expect an immediate turnaround but I did expect something better than the last two years. So the verdict remains out on this staff....still.

The only two coaches that are proof positive are Ryan Held as a preeminent recruiter and Travis Fisher as a standard bearing recruiter, coach and leader. The rest of the staff still need to prove themselves, imo. I think they will because I believe Frost knows what he has to do to turn this thing around. That said, I remember the press and the accolades for Dewitt - " one of the best special teams coaches in the country." (I forget the source.) Dewitt may yet prove himself - it's hard to fight cancer and do anything else - and I certainly hope so.

All the rooms are better now with more depth - QB's; linebackers; O line, especially. So, it's time to see what our coaches have - whether they've got it or not for the Big Ten.

I was glad to see Dawson return, not that we couldn't have done better, but because he provides continuity, overlap and familiarity with the Ruud and Tuioti rooms in various ways. We'll see.

It will be fascinating to see what Verduzco can do with McCaffrey and Smothers. If he can help AM turn himself around, he'll be the miracle worker. There's a lot of damage there and it's not just physical. What a great young man.

The one thing I don’t get, if AM was hurt, why play him so much injured? Vedral and McCaffrey were injured parts of the year, but not the whole time.

I guess I’m thinking his performance led to losing his mojo, which does nothing to help his future, so why not play the others more? If Scott was thinking it would hurt his confidence to sit him, I’m guessing his performance issues due to injury hurt him just as much as sitting him would have. Plus he could have had surgery sooner to be ready sooner and have a longer time frame to heal before live action in 2020.
McCaffrey was going to redshirt unless absolutely necessary to put 2 years of separation between them. And Martinez is better than Vedral, especially because Vedral was hurt, too. In a "slump" year, Martinez still completed nearly 60% of his passes, and he ran for over 600 yards... despite being hurt. And I'm not trying to bag on Vedral, because I'm really glad we have him, but he was 0-2 as a starter, and he has yet to throw a TD pass as a Husker.

People really put too much on a quarterback. There are 10 other guys on the field that also need to do their jobs, and that didn't happen consistently enough. Changing the quarterback wasn't going to fix the 2019 offense.

McCaffrey was going to redshirt unless absolutely necessary to put 2 years of separation between them. And Martinez is better than Vedral, especially because Vedral was hurt, too. In a "slump" year, Martinez still completed nearly 60% of his passes, and he ran for over 600 yards... despite being hurt. And I'm not trying to bag on Vedral, because I'm really glad we have him, but he was 0-2 as a starter, and he has yet to throw a TD pass as a Husker.

People really put too much on a quarterback. There are 10 other guys on the field that also need to do their jobs, and that didn't happen consistently enough. Changing the quarterback wasn't going to fix the 2019 offense.
I wasn’t trying to bag on Martinez but point out it may have been better for him had he played less or had surgery sooner. I hope his confidence can be recouped.

Saying he took a step back last year is not bagging on him. It is stating the obvious. Do you think he doesn't know? Pretty sure he has been told in his weekly reviews of the game.

You mention his "almost 60%" completion rate. Pretty good until you see his freshman year was 5% higher at 64.6%. His total yards were almost 700 yards less. That is the literal definition of a step back. Maybe 2 steps. Add to that his rushing numbers were flat with the year before. 4.4 last year and 4.3 this year. He definitely did not improve.

You do have a point with the other 10 guys. Much of the season he had no help from the RB. Also the early season snap issues do not help.

That sure is an interesting comment lol
It's out on another site apparently so i'll share what I shared with others yesterday...

We have an offensive analyst (Steve Cooper) heading to recruit Omaha. It is unclear if there is a rule for recruiting vs evaluating with how many coaches can be on the road. If you can have a limited amount, may tip their hand another coach is leaving. If you can have unlimited, this is much to do about nothing.

I also know that Iowa is sending their recruiting coordinator to Omaha, Iowa State is sending their offensive coordinator, and we are sending an analyst. IMO something's up. But with that said, if another coach isn't on the road, and Walters wanted to be in town for when this WR gets here (not sure when that is), that could be the reason we sent someone else.

Last edited:

Totally agree. The high snaps and the lack of pass protection especially in the earlier games did not help Martinez at all. Hard to be looking down field when you do not know where the snap is going.

Totally agree. The high snaps and the lack of pass protection especially in the earlier games did not help Martinez at all. Hard to be looking down field when you do not know where the snap is going.
I was as frustrated as anyone with Jurgens at the start of the season, but the snapping issue was a non-issue the 2nd half of the season, and I'd argue Jurgens finished the season as our best offensive lineman.

It's out on another site apparently so i'll share what I shared with others yesterday...

We have an offensive analyst (Steve Cooper) heading to recruit Omaha. It is unclear if there is a rule for recruiting vs evaluating with how many coaches can be on the road. If you can have a limited amount, may tip their hand another coach is leaving. If you can have unlimited, this is much to do about nothing.

I also know that Iowa is sending their recruiting coordinator to Omaha, Iowa State is sending their offensive coordinator, and we are sending an analyst. IMO something's up. But with that said, if another coach isn't on the road, and Walters wanted to be in town for when this WR gets here (not sure when that is), that could be the reason we sent someone else.
Reportedly have WR Kris Adams-Draine ('20) and WR Brody Brecht ('21) in Lincoln this weekend, not to mention TE Thomas Fidone ('21). Isn't Ruud typically the one recruiting Omaha? Seems like the Analyst could be on the road awaiting the return of Dawson too. Just trying on different angles - don't mind me, I haven't heard anything.

It's just a theory.
His obvious injury and a reworked inexperienced offensive line, freshman ( high erratic snaps) center who never played a down at the position all seemed to effect his play. The young man is a leader I expect him to compete hard to keep his starting job. I really can’t remember when a Nebraska team was so deep at QB and that’s a real tribute to Frost and his staff.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back