• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Restoring Parity to College Football

While this might appear to be streamlined.........it also now starts to look like the NFL. Part of what makes college football great is the different conferences and what their traditional rivalries bring to the table. Everything doesn't have to be about making things look even. A P4 conference with 16 teams from the Southeast will not change how many Championship Games Clemson and Alabama get into. People will still bitch and complain and try to find an alternative way of formatting conferences. Just like your plan did.
Why can't we take the best part of the NFL and incorporate it into college football?

My proposal doesn't do away with the different conferences nor the traditional rivalries. There is a little bit more of "even-ness" to the proposal.

1) Making conferences play the same number of conference games for one thing.

2) Getting rid of the directional school scheduling. The SEC may be the best conference but they all still schedule 2 if not 3 cupcake non-conference games.

If you limit or do away with scheduling of FCS teams or lower level FBS teams - you automatically upgrade everyone's schedule. Making Alabama play Kansas instead of SE Louisiana may not change their record but at least you likely provide them with a better overall competition.

It can be argued there is more parity in today's game as opposed to 25 years ago ... and its true but today's game has an elite-ness level that is unapproachable but for a select few. It can be argued that the repetitiveness of those teams in that elite level is not good for the game either.

To an extent the new transfer portal will help to bring some parity as schools can't hold players hotage. I would make it even easier to transfer and play right away.

Why can't we take the best part of the NFL and incorporate it into college football?

My proposal doesn't do away with the different conferences nor the traditional rivalries. There is a little bit more of "even-ness" to the proposal.

1) Making conferences play the same number of conference games for one thing.

2) Getting rid of the directional school scheduling. The SEC may be the best conference but they all still schedule 2 if not 3 cupcake non-conference games.

If you limit or do away with scheduling of FCS teams or lower level FBS teams - you automatically upgrade everyone's schedule. Making Alabama play Kansas instead of SE Louisiana may not change their record but at least you likely provide them with a better overall competition.

It can be argued there is more parity in today's game as opposed to 25 years ago ... and its true but today's game has an elite-ness level that is unapproachable but for a select few. It can be argued that the repetitiveness of those teams in that elite level is not good for the game either.

It's always had an eliteness to it, it's just in my lifetime DONU has always been elite until FS left. I'm now left being one of the have nots. Fear not Cub . . .er Nebraska fans, we'll climb the mountain eventually.

To an extent the new transfer portal will help to bring some parity as schools can't hold players hotage. I would make it even easier to transfer and play right away.

Joe Burrow is a prime example of that. With that said the athletes being paid will change things. So you want to stay at Alabama as a 4 star recruit and ride the bench while two guy ahead of you are making bucks on video games, etc.? Or do you want to go to a different school, be the star, and make some money as well?

I really think that this deal of College Players being able to get paid from certain things are going to open doors no one has thought about.

Parity ... yes throughout most of D1; but not at the top level:

1980's (based on AP rankings):
Georgia, Clemson, PSU (2 times), Miami Fl (3), BYU, Notre Dame and Oklahoma
By (current) conference: SEC, ACC (4), B1G (2), BIG12, Independent, WAC

1990's:
CU, Miami, Alabama, FSU (2), NU (2), Florida, Michigan and Tennessee
By conference: PAC12, ACC (3), SEC (3), B1G (3)

2000's:
OU, Miami, tOSU, USC (2), Texas, Florida (2), LSU and Alabama
By conference: BIG12 (2), ACC, B1G, PAC12 (2), SEC (4)

2010's:
Auburn, Alabama (4), FSU, tOSU, Clemson (2) and LSU or Clemson
By conference: SEC (5 or 6), ACC (3 or 4), B1G

The 2010's have a much much narrower list of champions as well as conferences who has won a championship.

I just do not want the 2020's to have such narrow band width on the number of champions as well as the number of conferences who can win a championship.

Base the number of available scholarships on a 5 year rolling average of a team's ranking, adjusted annually.
Graduate the scale so bottom 30 teams or so always get full # of scholarships.
Reward them for their poor performance on the football field with the players they did get?

Reward them for their poor performance on the football field with the players they did get?
No, increase the number of available "star" players for teams that need them by reducing available scholarships for teams that don't need/hoard them.

Yeah, I agree this would seriously NFL-ize college football (not that it isn't already NFL-like to some degree).
Most of these kids want to play at that level anyway. Not like I suggested a college draft.

No, increase the number of available "star" players for teams that need them by reducing available scholarships for teams that don't need/hoard them.
So 'Bama should get less scholarships than other teams... If you win the NCG you should get cut 10, if you make it there and lose you get cut 5... win your conference and get cut 3... make it to CCG and lose and you get cut by 1...

How about we just assume that anyone who wins big is cheating and cut scholarships...

Last edited:
well your opinion doesn't seem to match what the college experts have said and that is that a reduction to 85 scholarships has been the number 1 factor in creating more parity. I disagree that the last 20 years has seen more dominance than the previous 20 years. You might have an argument in regards to Alabama at the National Championship level but overall the Purdue's, Kansas States's, Central Florida's, Baylors, Minnesota's, Kentucky's and Washington States have never had a better opportunity to excel in college football. At the same time, Nebraska, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, UCLA, Texas, Florida State and many others have seen their hiring mistakes exagerated due to scholarship limits.
I agree there has been greater parity among the bottom 100+ teams, but at the top...there has never been the dominance we've had the past decade plus. Moreover it is now down to about 5-8 teams that has a legitimate shot at #1...it's pretty sad unless you're in that group. This is unique in the past 50 years of football...maybe in the early 1900's there was such dominance, but it's gotten unbearable.

Last edited:
If the rest of the country would get better, that would help.

Honestly, it's cyclical to a degree, but the South and the coasts are always going to have a recruiting advantage.
Football isn’t nearly as popular on the west coast as it is in SEC country or Texas. More and more high schools offering soccer in other parts of the country. Wrestling hotbeds are in eastern Pennsylvania New York and New Jersey and too many kids are concentrating on one sport. The days of two and three sport participants are dwindling fast. Larger high schools today discourage participation and there’s not as many small high schools.

So 'Bama should get less scholarships than other teams... If you win the NCG you should get cut 10, if you make it there and lose you get cut 5... win your conference and get cut 3... make it to CCG and lose and you get cut by 1...

How about we just assume that anyone who wins big is cheating and cut scholarships...
If you want parity, that's a way to do it. Got your own idea?

I think we get a bunch of analysts on staff to help look one week ahead in preparations. Also help with game plans and strategies. Help coach the walk on’s development with 2nd, 3rd string etc...

I don't know why we aren't doing this as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back