• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Adrian in a sling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you tell SF your feelings. I'm sure that will make him work much harder. Oh, and also tell him he is personally responsible for your purchase of hype and kool-aide. I also expected better, but at least i am not bitter over my own failure to see what might happen. Choosing to buy in on that stuff is and was a personal choice.
Life is full or choices like ignoring you so I hope you have yourself a wonderful day.

I agree with the logic, but don't necessarily agree with the assessment on AM...... AM's decision making wasn't questioned as a true freshman, but now we are questioning it as a sophomore...... I don't think a gamers IQ goes down over a summer. I think there has to be something that was taught/coached/instructed that limits how fluid he is able to play. Couple that with the injury. Along with now we have serviceable talent behind him, now all of a sudden, "AM needs to be sat down"........we are quick to just say the "player" is the issue as if there aren't other factors.
I think 2AM's decision making was questioned (albeit to a lesser degree) but he was given a pass because he was a true freshman who hadn't played his Sr. in High School. But he did throw into double coverage, he didn't see wide open receivers, etc. The only new knock on him this year was his hesitation in taking off and running. He was criticized more this year because he was supposed to be better having had a year in the system. (Plus, how many times did we hear Frost say that once he told 2AM something the kid knew it.)
Coaches are possibly limiting how fluid he plays? That doesn't say much for the staff. Shouldn't coaches be able to add more to build on top of what a kid has already learned?
I don't know, but I'll bet neither Vedral or McCaffrey would have run out of bounds and stopped the clock vs. Iowa. That's not due to injury or limited fluidity. It's lack of situational awareness and you can only coach that up to a certain extent.

It's funny how when a fan's favorite player doesn't win the job over another player, the suggestion is that the staff didn't give the competition a "fair look"......
He isn’t my favorite player. Like you, just wanna win, however that may be. Martinez did NOTHING to make me think he will be a great player. Maybe he will. Who knows, but giving someone else a shot when things are grinding to a halt is smart.

OK you win. Lots of shoulder injuries. But guess what I don't have access to knowing what kind of injuries these guys have like you do.

But this comes back to exactly the same thing again. You think they are doing something wrong in their lifting. You never want to say that but, you do say it. *** when it comes right down to it. I get the impression that you really aren't that impressed with a lot of what SF and his staff are doing. You definitely aren't into Duval and his lifting.

I know you will say well it doesn't matter as long as Frost and Duval are on the same page.
I guess for me I didn't want to go there with listing all the guys off. But when Duval explains to a public audience "this is why we are having all these shoulder issues", I think we have an issue. I don't think i'm out of line there.

In regard to my opinions on Duval... I just feel there are multiple things that have came to light within the last 30 years that we could be doing that would help us reduce the amount of injuries we are seeing and make us look way better athletically in space than the workout that was designed in the 90s is giving us. With that said, a head coach and his strength coach being on the same page is absolutely ideal so i'm cool with it and hope Frost/Duval have success. I just think it could have happened quicker.

How many games do you think he was playing hurt?
That's what I don't know. Certainly with the Northwestern game hurting his knee, but did anyone find out when he reached for the goalline and hurt his arm and went to the sidelines and had the trainer look at it? I can't remember the game.

But i'll go back to the South Alabama game stats where he was either hurt in fall camp, or something else was going on based on that stat line. I remember the thread where people were celebrating what Adrian Martinez looked like at the road race. "Imagine trying to tackle him now" and other things were said. I had to jump in and try to pump the brakes for people because it wasn't good weight. Really hoping he can get back to 2018 form, and that kind of body transformation doesn't happen to a guy like Robinson or McCaffrey.

Last edited:
That's what I don't know. Certainly with the Northwestern game hurting his knee, but did anyone find out when he reached for the goalline and hurt his arm and went to the sidelines and had the trainer look at it? I can't remember the game.

But i'll go back to the South Alabama game stats where he was either hurt in fall camp, or something else was going on based on that stat line I remember the thread where people were celebrating what Adrian Martinez looked like at the road race. "Imagine trying to tackle him now" and other thing were said. I had to jump in and try to pump the brakes for people because it wasn't good weight. Really hoping he can get back to 2018 form, and that kind of body transformation doesn't happen to a guy like Robinson or McCaffrey.
Do you know if Duval/Frost is making any S&C adjustments to address injury prevention? Or any in general?

Last edited:
I’m one who thinks McCaffery is better than Martinez. I would have yanked it also. Keep recruiting. I hope Frost will truly offer a competition at QB. Something about McCaffery. Like the dude is a gamer. Martinez is a turnover machine and plays well in spurts. Too erratic imo.
Not sure Martinez was healthy much of the season but there will be some competition at QB next season. It’s impossible to ignore McCaffrey he’s a game changer. I believe the Huskers would be bowling if McCaffrey played( at any offensive position) 20 snaps in every game this past season.
Both QB’s are leaders I can see a two QB offense next season. You simply can’t ignore the success Martinez had as a true freshman last season,I really believe he played hurt a good part of this season.

Do you know if Duval/Frost is making any S&C adjustments to address injury prevention? Or any in general?
They made some adjustments this past spring, they are always tweaking things. But until they change some of their fundamental things it may be tough. Martinez needs to work a little harder in there, but again, I don't know if he was hurt all spring and summer. So that's not all on Duval.

I just can't wrap my head around them having "zero injuries year 2" in Orlando, and then us having injuries everywhere. One of the reasons we are really struggling with depth at certain spots is due to all the injuries we have. If Cam Jones and CJ Smith both wouldn't have had season ending knee and shoulder surgery as freshmen, the Deontai Williams injury probably wouldn't have hurt us as much.

If Frost and Duval wouldn't have proved they could do it in Orlando I would really be protesting for a change right now. We look unathletic, slow, and hurt out there compared to other teams. But I think we are still just learning the team and what makes them tick.

I agree with the logic, but don't necessarily agree with the assessment on AM...... AM's decision making wasn't questioned as a true freshman, but now we are questioning it as a sophomore...... I don't think a gamers IQ goes down over a summer. I think there has to be something that was taught/coached/instructed that limits how fluid he is able to play. Couple that with the injury. Along with now we have serviceable talent behind him, now all of a sudden, "AM needs to be sat down"........we are quick to just say the "player" is the issue as if there aren't other factors.
I certainly questioned it, as did others iirc, but it was always with the caveat attached that he was a true freshman in a comlpicated offense. I expected better this year and imo got the same decision naking wise - throwing to wrong / doubled receiver, locking on a receiver, throwing the ball away vs sack, etc. I have no idea if he should sit or not, I am not close enough to see anything but the games, but this is my impression of his decision making based on watching those games.

But i'll go back to the South Alabama game stats where he was either hurt in fall camp, or something else was going on based on that stat line. I remember the thread where people were celebrating what Adrian Martinez looked like at the road race. "Imagine trying to tackle him now" and other things were said. I had to jump in and try to pump the brakes for people because it wasn't good weight. Really hoping he can get back to 2018 form, and that kind of body transformation doesn't happen to a guy like Robinson or McCaffrey.

One time definitely was the Illinois game. And I vaguely remember Purdue as well.

I’m one who thinks McCaffery is better than Martinez. I would have yanked it also. Keep recruiting. I hope Frost will truly offer a competition at QB. Something about McCaffery. Like the dude is a gamer. Martinez is a turnover machine and plays well in spurts. Too erratic imo.

Yeah, not yet.

He’s looking good in his very limited ‘change up’ role, but I’m not ready to crown him.

Not sure Martinez was healthy much of the season but there will be some competition at QB next season. It’s impossible to ignore McCaffrey he’s a game changer. I believe the Huskers would be bowling if McCaffrey played( at any offensive position) 20 snaps in every game this past season.
Both QB’s are leaders I can see a two QB offense next season. You simply can’t ignore the success Martinez had as a true freshman last season,I really believe he played hurt a good part of this season.
If he was hurt and ineffective, he shouldn’t have been playing. As for what Adrian did in 2018, it was ok. Nothing earth shattering. He was a turnover machine last year also. That will get you beat more times than not, and it did.

Yeah, not yet.

He’s looking good in his very limited ‘change up’ role, but I’m not ready to crown him.
No one crowned anyone. He just plays the game better, at least when he is in there. The other Martinez NU had was better. Threw it as well, ran it better, but he was a turnover machine also. I’ll be surprised if this Martinez takes NU anywhere. He isn’t a gamer. Too many mistakes, injured or healthy.

No one crowned anyone. He just plays the game better, at least when he is in there. The other Martinez NU had was better. Threw it as well, ran it better, but he was a turnover machine also. I’ll be surprised if this Martinez takes NU anywhere. He isn’t a gamer. Too many mistakes, injured or healthy.

He had a ‘bad’ year in 2019, but his ceiling is higher than McCaffrey’s in this offense, IMO.

He can’t keep doing what he did this year or his ceiling is irrelevant. I do think MCaffrey can make this team a winner, but with limitations. 8-5 is still greater than 4-8 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back