• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is honesty not acceptable?

You mean you recognized AM made an error....SF recognized AM made an error....AM recognized AM made an error....and yet, SF is wrong for saying AM made an error?? I can't wait until SF just goes "coach speak" for every question and everyone complains that they don't get any information out of the press conferences.
Yes, I think it's a mistake for Frost to single out Martinez's error. "Coach speak" exists for a reason, bland as it it.

With all due respect, when you’re paid $5,000,000/year, and your assistants are paid north of $300k at a minimum, it’s your responsibility to find a way to alter your coaching style so that every player gets better, not just some.

To my surprise, this is one of the few posts of yours I don't agree with. I don't hire Mike Leach to come in and dumb down his offense because we don't have the perfect receivers. I don't hire Kyle Wittingham and have him run a softer version of his defense. We hired Frost not only for his name and history, but because he's what many consider an extremely good offensive mind who creates huge challenges for defenses. If he starts trying to be Ferentz, who is going to end up winning that battle?

Last edited:

He didn't proclaim they would he said hopefully they will. This is the crap that drives me nuts. We have our fan base intentionally misquoting Frost now just to get their kicks in. This is going to be a long ass offseason.

Ok I misquoted him. I still think some things are better left unsaid. Speaking top of mind often isn't the best strategy.

Would a coach paid 100,000 per year be held to a lower standard then? As pointed out earlier by others. I’m not sure I understand the fixation with the salary. A coach is hired to win whether they are paid a dollar or a million dollars. If they win, nobody cares how they did it as long as it’s legal. If they don’t, they failed, regardless of their pay scale.
HA, in my opinion yes, but that’s only 1 of many reasons why I’m not making those decisions.

To my surprise, this is one of the few posts of yours I don't agree with. I don't hire Mike Leach to come in and dumb down his offense because we don't have the perfect receivers. I don't hire Kyle Wittingham and have him run a softer version of his defense. We hire Frost not only for his name and history, but because he's what many consider an extremely good offensive mind who creates huge challenges for defenses. If he start trying to be Ferentz, who is going to end up winning that battle?
I get what you’re saying, and I don’t disagree with you. I guess I should have worded my response better. I don’t think it’s a coaches responsibility to change the material, but rather how they teach it.

For example, I can almost guarantee that Alex Davis and Garret Nelson are both capable of learning the same material, but I think it’s Dewitts job to determine the best way, or most efficient way rather, to teach it. Hope that better explains where I was coming from.

To my surprise, this is one of the few posts of yours I don't agree with. I don't hire Mike Leach to come in and dumb down his offense because we don't have the perfect receivers. I don't hire Kyle Wittingham and have him run a softer version of his defense. We hired Frost not only for his name and history, but because he's what many consider an extremely good offensive mind who creates huge challenges for defenses. If he starts trying to be Ferentz, who is going to end up winning that battle?

Nobody. Everyone loses the battle of quick kicks.

Can you provide specific examples where SF and staff have not given equal opportunity to members of the team?

-Mo Washington...as you've acknowledged
-Cam Jurgens, early leap and while he was Mr. High Snap
-AM for at least part of the year...no exclusions
-Noa....far more PT/drops but still trotted out- others? not much PT
-Wandale...Mills should've been been the primary RB...SF got WR hurt

It's really not a big deal though (except maybe MW), all coaches have their favorites and non-favorites, for a variety of reasons. To not acknowledge it is just silly. The best players at every position are not always on the field, contrary to popular mythology.

(Don’t bother with the QB example unless you have verifiable data that another QB is better than the current starter. There may be another QB who should be starting, but there isn’t anyone outside the program that has the insight or knowledge to make that call. Frankly, had SF pulled AM at halftime and inserted Vedral or McCaffrey and still lost, we would have a bunch of fans complaining that he didn’t stick with his most experienced QB.)
Speaking for myself, but I would have like to see LM play even if he isn’t better or the results may have suffered. That guy is a competitor and would have done everything in his power to try and get the W. I am not sure AM’s head is in that same place. I would rather lose with a B level guy giving 100% than an A level guy giving 75%. Not that I think LM is a grade below AM.

Would a coach paid 100,000 per year be held to a lower standard then? As pointed out earlier by others. I’m not sure I understand the fixation with the salary. A coach is hired to win whether they are paid a dollar or a million dollars. If they win, nobody cares how they did it as long as it’s legal. If they don’t, they failed, regardless of their pay scale.
If he's the HC of Nebraska football, a much, much, much, much, much lower standard....no standard at all.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back