• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is honesty not acceptable?

Perfect example:
Press: "Why did Martinez run out of bounds and stop the clock?"
What Frost should have said, whether true or not, "That's on me. I didn't communicate to him that we were no longer in attack mode but run-out-the-clock mode." If you're willing to fall on the sword for your players, they'll be more likely to run through a brick wall for you.

You mean instead of saying "maybe i should have taken a timeout there and made sure they knew what we were looking for"? Seems to me SF admitted he should be done something different, but it appears many posters here would rather he just say "i'm a terrible coach, i think i'll take my money and let someone else try it here".

Winner winner chicken dinner! And while I wasn’t a Riley fan, i thought it was very insightful - and in incredibly poor taste - that HCSF repeatedly took veiled shots at he and his staff. Again, no upside.

I think HCSF needs to enroll in a few UNL undergraduate leadership classes.

Cheaper and easier to read this board. The advice he is getting is always perfect and if he just listened, NU will be undefeated next year.

You mean instead of saying "maybe i should have taken a timeout there and made sure they knew what we were looking for"? Seems to me SF admitted he should be done something different, but it appears many posters here would rather he just say "i'm a terrible coach, i think i'll take my money and let someone else try it here".
Very few have called for Frost's firing, if any. Certainly not me. Pointing out deficiencies does not equate to calling for the guys job. I don't know why people can't see that.
Frost effectively said Martinez made an error then admitted he (Frost) should have called a timeout. Very easy to do the latter without doing the former and that's the best way to handle it, long term.

So if some players respond and get better, is it the coaching that is not good enough? Or the players that don't respond?

If a coach can improve a player with his teaching then there really isn't a problem with the teaching, right?

My experience tells me some players are more coachable than others. Some people handle change better than others, such as when a new coaching staff comes in.

Some people assume they are better then that player the coach recruited. So, when they get beat for the position, they blame it on the other player being “the coach’s guy”. Maybe he’s right. Or maybe that other player is better. I imagine most people who don’t end up playing think they could do better than the player starting ahead of them.

Can you provide specific examples where SF and staff have not given equal opportunity to members of the team?

(Don’t bother with the QB example unless you have verifiable data that another QB is better than the current starter. There may be another QB who should be starting, but there isn’t anyone outside the program that has the insight or knowledge to make that call. Frankly, had SF pulled AM at halftime and inserted Vedral or McCaffrey and still lost, we would have a bunch of fans complaining that he didn’t stick with his most experienced QB.)

Just look at the guys who left the team mid-season. Have come across rumors about others but don’t want to speculate.

To clarify – we're talking about fairness – and that cuts two ways. Do I think I'm being treated fairly? And do I think the leader is being fair to me vs. others on the team?

Last edited:
How often did your coaches just give you one option? Mine never did, they always gave at least 2, and I'd be surprised if that wasn't part of the discussion before ever setting foot on the field. I thought Frost explained things, and took the lion's share of the blame for not calling a TO.

In that kind of high stakes scenario - one drive/one play/one shot to extend your season - every coach I’ve ever had made sure everyone knew exactly what the plan was, even if that plan featured some if-then decision making.

My take away is that Frost and his QB were not on the same page and the proof is in the pudding. Clock management on the final drive was a hot mess.

Last edited:
You mean like Gary Andersen? :Lol:

So if some players respond and get better, is it the coaching that is not good enough? Or the players that don't respond?

If a coach can improve a player with his teaching then there really isn't a problem with the teaching, right?
With all due respect, when you’re paid $5,000,000/year, and your assistants are paid north of $300k at a minimum, it’s your responsibility to find a way to alter your coaching style so that every player gets better, not just some.

With all due respect, when you’re paid $5,000,000/year, and your assistants are paid north of $300k at a minimum, it’s your responsibility to find a way to alter your coaching style so that every player gets better, not just some.

LOL we live in the era of individualized sports coaching. If we need to, I’d expect the staff to offer individualized X and Os tutoring.

Heck - we might want to buy everybody on the roster their very own tackling robot.

Just look at the guys who left the team mid-season. Have come across rumors about others but don’t want to speculate.

To clarify – we're talking about fairness – and that cuts two ways. Do I think I'm being treated fairly? And do I think the leader is being fair to me vs. others on the team?

So, if someone leaves the team, it means they were treated unfairly?

Would a coach paid 100,000 per year be held to a lower standard then? As pointed out earlier by others. I’m not sure I understand the fixation with the salary. A coach is hired to win whether they are paid a dollar or a million dollars. If they win, nobody cares how they did it as long as it’s legal. If they don’t, they failed, regardless of their pay scale.

In that kind of high stakes scenario - one drive/one play/one shot to extend your season - every coach I’ve ever had made sure everyone knew exactly what the plan was, even if that plan featured some if-then decision making.

My take away is that Frost and his QB were not on the same page and the proof is in the pudding. Clock management on the final drive was a hot mess.

Since it's unlikely that either will share the conversations word for word, I'm a little more inclined to think that Scott told him what he wanted, and assumed that's all he needed to do. AM got in the flow and forgot about plan B. Not hard to imagine, the kid has been underwhelming the entire year, is hearing 'Luuuuuke' throughout the game, and may just have felt pressed to try to make a play. He's 19, it's not out of the realm.

Would a coach paid 100,000 per year be held to a lower standard then? As pointed out earlier by others. I’m not sure I understand the fixation with the salary. A coach is hired to win whether they are paid a dollar or a million dollars. If they win, nobody cares how they did it as long as it’s legal. If they don’t, they failed, regardless of their pay scale.
Yes, but your ROI is much better with the 100K guy.

Very few have called for Frost's firing, if any. Certainly not me. Pointing out deficiencies does not equate to calling for the guys job. I don't know why people can't see that.
Frost effectively said Martinez made an error then admitted he (Frost) should have called a timeout. Very easy to do the latter without doing the former and that's the best way to handle it, long term.

You mean you recognized AM made an error....SF recognized AM made an error....AM recognized AM made an error....and yet, SF is wrong for saying AM made an error?? I can't wait until SF just goes "coach speak" for every question and everyone complains that they don't get any information out of the press conferences.

My experience tells me some players are more coachable than others. Some people handle change better than others, such as when a new coaching staff comes in.

Some people assume they are better then that player the coach recruited. So, when they get beat for the position, they blame it on the other player being “the coach’s guy”. Maybe he’s right. Or maybe that other player is better. I imagine most people who don’t end up playing think they could do better than the player starting ahead of them.

I agree with your post, but i'm wondering how it plays into the view that changes need to be made because the coaches aren't developing talent. Sounds like you are saying in the end it comes back to the player.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back