• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A look at Frost's nine wins in two years

And throw in losing to OSU by 5 in 2018, we lost 9 games by 38 points, average loss 4 pts.

Very true. The best game of 2018 might have actually been the OSU loss.

I think some of those other close losses SHOULD have been wins and I agree that is at least partially on the staff. It doesn’t paint a picture to me that we are decades away from being good again.

You're welcome to feel like you want to about the team, but I think they're in a better place than you do.

You look at how close this team was to winning more games both years and that should give you a better feeling for how close they are. Four more wins on the table for 2018 (Colorado, Troy, Northwestern and Iowa) and four more for 2019 (Colorado, Indiana, Purdue and Iowa) and Frost's record is 17-7 and we're not having this conversation, but arguing about style points. If you're looking for dominance, sure, we're years away. Winning football isn't that far off.

You're welcome.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

C

I'm not suggesting he get a participation ribbon for being close, just that the team isn't as far away from playing winning football as so many think.

This is my viewpoint. Sucks that we lost a bunch of games that we should have won (Purdue and Colorado this year), but it's telling that we've played excellent games against teams that clearly have more talent ON THE FIELD (not in recruiting stars) than we have at the moment. Even if we've lost, it's an indication of where we are headed.

There's a lot to critique, no doubt, but there isn't an enormous gap at this point. We just need more maturity, more depth, and consistency. A key playmaker or two on both sides of the ball would go a long way also

It’s encouraging to me that even with how terrible we’ve been, we were within a touchdown in 9 losses. If we get a few things figured out, suddenly we‘ll be winning a lot more games. We’re basically in shambles right now but only barely losing to Iowa. When the first batch of walk-ons become upperclassmen and we get a properly filled out roster, we’re going to be good.

Having patience is the hard part. I just want it now! But it’ll be another year or two to straighten things out.
This is the part I have been harping about. We have been real close in-spite of how terrible we have been in the basic fundamentals. Improved tackling, blocking scheme and effort, play calling and red zone percentage are things that can easily be worked out if enough emphasis is put on it. We HAVE enough talent to have been 9-3 each year if only we had developed correctly in basic fundamentals. I had set my expectations this year on a smooth looking team and we were anything but that.

This is the part I have been harping about. We have been real close in-spite of how terrible we have been in the basic fundamentals. Improved tackling, blocking scheme and effort, play calling and red zone percentage are things that can easily be worked out if enough emphasis is put on it. We HAVE enough talent to have been 9-3 each year if only we had developed correctly in basic fundamentals. I had set my expectations this year on a smooth looking team and we were anything but that.
You speak the cold hard truth and if there is not a change in fundamental play next season then the other cold hard truth is that the magnifying glass we think is hot now gets held up at high noon.

One simple glimmer of hope on fundamental play that I saw was a play by Garret Nelson where he had a direct shot at the qb just as he was delivering the ball. He could have easily allowed his momentum to carry him in to the qb but didn't. He used the same skills that got him there to pull out of the hit. Very simple. There are numerous times and fact patterns where maybe you want to hit the qb but this was a play late in the Maryland game so the game was in control. Poor decisions by players in unnecessary circumstances have plagued Nebraska for years. In that play I blindly observe a young player who wasn't thinking about the film room late in a game but instead had his head in the game conscious of down, distance and scoreboard. That's coaching. How many times over the years have we watched that play see us hit with a 15 yard penalty; in some games possibly a couple in a row, sideline meltdown and total team collapse?

Discipline is a fundamental skill and as a team we have more discipline from start to finish in games.

I don't know Bo personally, but he's got to be at least a little satisfied with how things have worked out here in Lincoln. Yeah, any trained monkey, right?

I know most don't consider BP human, but if he isn't actually a little pleased and feeling validated he truly wouldn't be human. But then again, i'm starting to wonder if anyone can really maintain the support of NU fans. If the Huskers win 8, they should have won 10. If they win 10, they should have lost closer games. If they win 5, they should have won the close games....good grief Charlie Brown.

I know most don't consider BP human, but if he isn't actually a little pleased and feeling validated he truly wouldn't be human. But then again, i'm starting to wonder if anyone can really maintain the support of NU fans. If the Huskers win 8, they should have won 10. If they win 10, they should have lost closer games. If they win 5, they should have won the close games....good grief Charlie Brown.

I actually liked the guy. I don’t respond well to certain stimuli either and can’t do much about it.

Yeah, even winning national championships with undefeated teams we’ll be having folks complaining we weren’t dominant enough. It is what it is I suppose.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back