• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Irritating Sipple comment

Sorry, but that’s not even close to being accurate. Klieman walked into a solid, structured team, a team of guys used to being a part of a hard working, intelligent program. Does anyone see that being a part of our recent formula?

None of us is pleased with the regression and performance of the team, and the staff has either not done their jobs, or grossly underestimated the changes that needed to be made. However, downplaying buy in as a critical issue is a mistake. Does anyone think we have a cohesive locker room? Do the guys seem connected with each other as we’d expect? Buy in goes well beyond commitment to a staff, it’s also about commitment to what they are doing, and who they will do it with. Its painfully obvious this group of players haven’t EVER bought in to this program. They haven’t had proper leadership, be it in the locker room, or on the sidelines. Frost didn’t do things perfectly, but I doubt any adjustments in how they coached, or things they said were going to produce some miraculously cohesive team. The best thing that can happen at this point is graduation, and some trips to the portal.
Right now “Row the Boat” sounds way, way better. Even after last weekend and even if Minnesota loses out.

I’ll take that over two lost seasons. We need to get to a bowl game to salvage this one.

My viewpoint of what is happening now is not necessarily "Riley's fault" but can be attributed to the coaching transition. Recruiting holes left by Riley, players who left because of the transition, not having the right kind of players physically and mentally in the program, losing too many of the hastily put together 1st year recruiting class, not having S&C in place long enough ...
for the bolded, we lost a TON of players due to this.....3-4 alone went to West Nebraska State, AKA Oregon State.

Hey, we've got to be careful here....Sipple says a lot of irritating things, but for the most part I enjoy his writing.

Actually there were many in the media questioning much of what was going on in the program. And just as many in social media outlets and forums. However they were quickly attacked by people who didn't want to hear it. Among writers.....Dirk, Barf and Shatel did write articles at various times that were not complimentary to Mike Riley's staff and quite truthfully did that and much more against Pelini. When so many fans didn't want to listen...…..why keep beating a dead horse. It was the standard statement made on here by many. Now we want to blame the media for us not listening?
Can you explain this question? I'm not sure if you are talking past or present tense.

Last edited:

This is the exact reason that I do not get all of the angst at Dirk Chatelain. If people were reasonable and read his whole articles this stuff would not be a surprise. Most of the press pumps everything up and we all get unreasonable expectations.

I agree with you. I think of all the sports writers following Nebraska football this guy comes closest to writing about what he sees and hears. He still does not crank on the nuts and bolts details, however.

Right now “Row the Boat” sounds way, way better. Even after last weekend and even if Minnesota loses out.

I’ll take that over two lost seasons. We need to get to a bowl game to salvage this one.
By that logic, Mike Riley sounds way, way better, but I prefer to let the guy we have continue to work. A bowl game is attractive for the practices only. At the level we’d be playing, the game isn’t anything I’m particularly excited about.

Last edited:
Read the OP. That will give you the full explanation.
I was just trying to understand your context. The part I bolded is able to be taken in several completely different ways. No big deal if you don't want to explain. I like hearing other perspectives. If what I think you're saying is correct then it's probably something that really would be worth expanding upon.

The one thing that always stands out to me is if everyone knew and dropped these hints along the way, what hole was I living in to miss all the signs? Then when it all starts to shake out, whether it's Sharp/Severe and Benning or some columnists, there is this "see I told you" moment. I get that they may want to be protective of the program or just to have a good relationship with the athletic department, but it sounds like some people read between the lines just fine as if it was a parable that just needed a little clarification.

Maybe I haven't been like this the last few years, but I was the type that would say before the season "Nebraska will go 10-2" but my prediction prior to each game would be a Nebraska win -- where were those two losses ever going to come from, but I knew better than to predict 12-0 I guess? Maybe there is a little of that with the media and always seeing a silver lining or holding on to a little hope.

Sipple makes a statement in the above article he wrote that irritates me and should irritate all Nebraska fans. I quote

l

"But that would be an overly simplistic way to size up the situation. He inherited a mess so unwieldy that it's difficult to convey in limited space."

If as Sipple says he " inherited a situation so unwieldly" where was he and all the other sport writers. Why were they not so informing the Nebraska fan base of the mess within the Nebraska football program/sports department if that is what existed? Is not the free press supposed to be the eyes and ears of its reading public reporting fact. I do not recall one article written by those following the program suggesting an "unwieldy mess" in the last xx years. Guess what I am saying to that press is show some b**ls and report what you see and hear. Your readers would appreciate some honesty in reporting. We are tired of hearing sunshine pumping bs relative to practice performance, S&C performance, etc. Nebraska has a football fan base with a very, very high football IQ resulting from watching Osborne coached teams for years. Report what you see and hear allowing the fan base to deal with the facts---please.
Sports writers can only report what they know is a fact. It’s difficult to speculate who is and who isn’t working hard or dedicated to the program. I’m not sure Frost and the other coaches knew immediately the heart of all of their players. Everything fans heard and read lead them to believe this was going to be a great team. Everyone including me laughed when Moos said 6-6 was a realistic goal. We had much higher expectations but now we’re hoping Frost can win the final 2 games and get to a bowl game.

So, about this culture thing....

I'm not into excuses (partly because of my Air Force Col. dad who allowed none) and the Coaches I played for over the years (one was a Reader's Digest most unforgettable character type - ex-Marine Drill Sergeant Gold Glove Boxing Champion).

As we all know, you overcome obstacles and make them opportunities.

So, here's my question of sorts :

In his pressers, he's now serially referring to a lack of a total buy-in. Can he not withdraw the scholarship from those that aren't buying in? ( I don't know the current policy). Meaning if he has to change the culture - then change it. Now. No more excuses and waiting. Depth is an issue - yes, but what good is a player that hasn't bought in ultimately. And Who the ---- are these guys that haven't bought in? Are they starters? Back-ups? Our young leaders are obvious. If these guys are upperclassmen and aren't going to buy in then why wait? Get rid of them. I'm asking more theoretically but if it's that bad and is partly responsible for the performance and results we're seeing it becomes more real than theoretical.

For example, and this is not a perfect example and is not meant personally to the young man. The younger Daniels has great potential supposedly yet remains too large and unable to sustain. How long we gonna wait to get your a** in gear?

Another example - Darrion comes in as a transfer and 5th year starter. Good for him. He becomes a Captain. A F'in Captain! The quality of upperclass leadership is that bad? Good lord almighty.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if Scott is intentionally mentioning this stuff in his pressers to send a message that he wants those not buying in to get gone or he might get them gone. ( Note that several have left or entered the transfer portal already) He doesn't strike me as the type of person who was allowed to make excuses nor does he want to make them. Is he weaving a different kind of strategy here indirectly to change the culture?

I'm not covering for Scott- he's got a long way to go but he's on the right path ....

You were told from DAY ONE that Mike Riley was an incompetent failure who would do exactly what he had historically done...fail...at Nebraska. If you chose to believe otherwise, you were an idiot. Period.

The fact that the OP apparently missed or actively ignored EVERY critique of Perlman, Eichorst, and especially Riley is more of an indictment on the OP than what Sipple did or didn’t write.

By that logic, Mike Riley sounds way, way better, but I prefer to let the guy we have continue to work. A bowl game is attractive for the practices only. At the level we’d be playing, the game isn’t anything I’m particularly excited about.
a) You are equating Mike Riley with P. J. Fleck; and b) you are OK with a five win season when it really wasn't necessary.

I prefer to have Frost continue to work and for him to make his personnel decisions. I am highly unhappy with the way this season has gone and my concern meter has spiked tremendously for many of the same reasons it spiked with his three predecessors. It calls into question their basic competence at their job. That is why I am a less than happy camper. I hope to, want to, be proven wrong.

Last edited:
So, about this culture thing....

I'm not into excuses (partly because of my Air Force Col. dad who allowed none) and the Coaches I played for over the years (one was a Reader's Digest most unforgettable character type - ex-Marine Drill Sergeant Gold Glove Boxing Champion).

As we all know, you overcome obstacles and make them opportunities.

So, here's my question of sorts :

In his pressers, he's now serially referring to a lack of a total buy-in. Can he not withdraw the scholarship from those that aren't buying in? ( I don't know the current policy). Meaning if he has to change the culture - then change it. Now. No more excuses and waiting. Depth is an issue - yes, but what good is a player that hasn't bought in ultimately. And Who the ---- are these guys that haven't bought in? Are they starters? Back-ups? Our young leaders are obvious. If these guys are upperclassmen and aren't going to buy in then why wait? Get rid of them. I'm asking more theoretically but if it's that bad and is partly responsible for the performance and results we're seeing it becomes more real than theoretical.

For example, and this is not a perfect example and is not meant personally to the young man. The younger Daniels has great potential supposedly yet remains too large and unable to sustain. How long we gonna wait to get your a** in gear?

Another example - Darrion comes in as a transfer and 5th year starter. Good for him. He becomes a Captain. A F'in Captain! The quality of upperclass leadership is that bad? Good lord almighty.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if Scott is intentionally mentioning this stuff in his pressers to send a message that he wants those not buying in to get gone or he might get them gone. ( Note that several have left or entered the transfer portal already) He doesn't strike me as the type of person who was allowed to make excuses nor does he want to make them. Is he weaving a different kind of strategy here indirectly to change the culture?

I'm not covering for Scott- he's got a long way to go but he's on the right path ....
What does ‘buy in’ actually mean in the context of Div 1 sports? The reason I ask is that when a high school player signs a LOI wouldn’t he consider himself ‘bought in’, especially if he had other offers?

To be hypercritical for conversational purposes only, is ‘buy in’ coachspeak for ‘I have delivered my message and we aren’t winning so therefor players have not bought in’? Behind closed doors do coaches rate players ‘buy in’ value? Bill’s bought in at 7. Tom’s bought in at 4 and Sam is totally bought in at 9.3. In other words, is ‘buy in’ just an excuse for coaches because sports is really the only place where it is acceptable for a leader to say that.

What does ‘buy in’ actually mean in the context of Div 1 sports? The reason I ask is that when a high school player signs a LOI wouldn’t he consider himself ‘bought in’, especially if he had other offers?

To be hypercritical for conversational purposes only, is ‘buy in’ coachspeak for ‘I have delivered my message and we aren’t winning so therefor players have not bought in’? Behind closed doors do coaches rate players ‘buy in’ value? Bill’s bought in at 7. Tom’s bought in at 4 and Sam is totally bought in at 9.3. In other words, is ‘buy in’ just an excuse for coaches because sports is really the only place where it is acceptable for a leader to say that.

Good questions. From my perspective only (I don't know about Frost), it's a shared 'total' commitment to, belief in and effort toward stated goals, methods and philosophy of the leader of, in this case, the team. 'Total,' of course, subjective to an extent regardless of quantifiables used to measure performance.

There seems to be an implied as well as explicit contract between school/coach and student/athlete regarding the issuing of a D1 scholarship the nature of which I'm not sure of at Nebraska and in current times. ( I'm not a lawyer ) The parties have responsibilities to one another and default options if not fulfilled. That's where my question comes in about yanking a scholarship rather than complaining about culture in this case as an excuse.

If, as Barry mentioned, a year or so ago guys were working directly against and subverting the new program brought in with Frost why were they still on the team? A different problem was the sad Mo Washington case. Still on scholarship? or just off the team indefinitely? I don't know.

All I know in simplified terms is "get with program" or get gone. I heard it all the time growing up. It was his culture - definitely not mine. :Salute: There were no excuses.....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back