• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Time to panic?

Those are my five (or four) play makers.
To get to the next level of winning seasons and competing for the Big Ten West (which would only mean beating Purdue, Indiana, Colorado and Wisky, games we could have won) we need difference makers on both sides of the ball. We have AM, Wan'dale, Mills, and Spielman on offense and none on defense.
Give me two Big body WR, another RB and then Grant Wistrom and LaVonte David and this team is easily at 8-9 wins this year. That's all just 4 guys to turn this thing around. :)

GBR
Yeah, getting a few more playmakers is always good. IMO, NU could have gotten 8-9 wins this year with the players it has if they had been coached/learned to tackle, block, and do their assignments better. More disciplined play can take you a long way.

Yeah, getting a few more playmakers is always good. IMO, NU could have gotten 8-9 wins this year with the players it has if they had been coached/learned to tackle, block, and do their assignments better. More disciplined play can take you a long way.
Of course this is may be true but it relies on everyone doing their job perfectly on every play for a 7-10 play drive for example.

Having great players, playmakers allows you to make a mistake, mis a block or a tackle and still have a successful play because that great player will overcome the mistake. Think Taylor for Wisky as just one example.

DONU needs to get back to where they had more great players, while striving for better discipline on each play which by the way is harder with the shorter practices and less time for interaction with coaches IMHO.

GBR

Yeah, I was disappointed by the lack of OL in 2018, and even more once our lone commit didn’t make it. It all starts up front. Just having 2 elite O lineman and one elite D lineman would go a long way. It concerned be because they’re less likely to be able to immediately contribute and need more S&C and grooming than skill positions. I liked last years O line signees and this years commits. But, like you said, its concerning if it takes significant time to get them ready. That 2018 class hurt missing a whole year of developing O lineman. I kind of cut em some slack due to having to piece a class together in short order.
Reminds me a lot of 2017 with DBs. We only took Elijah Blades and he didn't even make it here (currently starting at A&M). Put us in a tough spot when the staff got here to fill the DB room.

Reminds me a lot of 2017 with DBs. We only took Elijah Blades and he didn't even make it here (currently starting at A&M). Put us in a tough spot when the staff got here to fill the DB room.

Thus the very high number of non-contributors in that class. They needed bodies and unfortunately, didn't get the right ones.

Thus the very high number of non-contributors in that class. They needed bodies and unfortunately, didn't get the right ones.
I do remember Frost saying we got a top 5 safety class in the nation. We thought we did the best at that position than any class in the shortened time. But just didn’t work out the way we wanted.

I do remember Frost saying we got a top 5 safety class in the nation. We thought we did the best at that position than any class in the shortened time. But just didn’t work out the way we wanted.
Two 4* safeties from that first class gone within 12 months, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Two 4* safeties from that first class gone within 12 months, unfortunately.

Yep, it probably wasn't about the talent, but more about the people. The one that amazed me was Smith....the staff had his brother at UCF for goodness sake, how could they miss on him with the familiarity they had?

We have some high ranked H.S. players considering NU.

It would be great to get some of these, but after this season they would have to believe in NU beyond our past/current W-L record.

Last edited:
We have some high ranked H.S. players considering NU.

It would be great to get some of these, but after this season they would have to believe in NU beyond our past/current W-L record.

Nebraska isn’t involved in the majority of those recruits - maybe 90 percent of what I looked at.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back