• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Irritating Sipple comment

I have to call you on the comments on KState and Kleiman. K State had a stable probram prior to Kleiman taking over. Snyder was old, but had only had 2 losing seasons in the past decade and I don't think anyone says that Snyder couldn't coach and develop players at a high level.

Kleiman was a very good coach and a great choice to replace Snyder. If we'd had similar coaching decisions in the past we may not be where we are... that said, I think Frost is the right guy still
You are talking about the Bill Snyder that was having articles written that "it's time for him to retire"? That one?

"The waters that were calm now churn, and the program he loves so much may be exactly where it was when he returned in 2009. Or about to be in worse shape. That’s a painful reality for anyone who respects Coach Snyder to face, but not as difficult as this one …

It’s time for Bill Snyder to retire."

Kleiman is a great coach. Frost is the right guy.

Our “problems” are no worse than what Kansas State and Klieman inherited, certainly not in year 2 of a new coach and new AD. They certainly aren’t worse than what was going on at Baylor where they were trying to avoid the death penalty. It’s just another narrative and form of marketing propaganda like “they didn’t squat” or “their fat was going up and muscle down” or “buy-in” to calm the masses. I get it.

If we play like we did against Wisconsin, we beat Colorado, Indiana, and Purdue. Why were they able to buy-in then but not other times? Why was buy-in not an issue at the end of 2018? Why was Saturday the first time I actually saw improvement in guys like Martinez, Mills, Thomas, etc. since 2018?

There’s mirrors everywhere in north stadium, it’s time to look in one of them.
Sorry, but that’s not even close to being accurate. Klieman walked into a solid, structured team, a team of guys used to being a part of a hard working, intelligent program. Does anyone see that being a part of our recent formula?

None of us is pleased with the regression and performance of the team, and the staff has either not done their jobs, or grossly underestimated the changes that needed to be made. However, downplaying buy in as a critical issue is a mistake. Does anyone think we have a cohesive locker room? Do the guys seem connected with each other as we’d expect? Buy in goes well beyond commitment to a staff, it’s also about commitment to what they are doing, and who they will do it with. Its painfully obvious this group of players haven’t EVER bought in to this program. They haven’t had proper leadership, be it in the locker room, or on the sidelines. Frost didn’t do things perfectly, but I doubt any adjustments in how they coached, or things they said were going to produce some miraculously cohesive team. The best thing that can happen at this point is graduation, and some trips to the portal.

You are talking about the Bill Snyder that was having articles written that "it's time for him to retire"? That one?

"The waters that were calm now churn, and the program he loves so much may be exactly where it was when he returned in 2009. Or about to be in worse shape. That’s a painful reality for anyone who respects Coach Snyder to face, but not as difficult as this one …

It’s time for Bill Snyder to retire."

Kleiman is a great coach. Frost is the right guy.

Did you see KSU grossly underperforming with the elderly Snyder at the helm? He needed to retire for the future health of the program, but not because he was failing.

Sorry, but that’s not even close to being accurate. Klieman walked into a solid, structured team, a team of guys used to being a part of a hard working, intelligent program. Does anyone see that being a part of our recent formula?

None of us is pleased with the regression and performance of the team, and the staff has either not done their jobs, or grossly underestimated the changes that needed to be made. However, downplaying buy in as a critical issue is a mistake. Does anyone think we have a cohesive locker room? Do the guys seem connected with each other as we’d expect? Buy in goes well beyond commitment to a staff, it’s also about commitment to what they are doing, and who they will do it with. Its painfully obvious this group of players haven’t EVER bought in to this program. They haven’t had proper leadership, be it in the locker room, or on the sidelines. Frost didn’t do things perfectly, but I doubt any adjustments in how they coached, or things they said were going to produce some miraculously cohesive team. The best thing that can happen at this point is graduation, and some trips to the portal.
Did you see KSU grossly underperforming with the elderly Snyder at the helm? He needed to retire for the future health of the program, but not because he was failing.
It is comical to me how much Husker fans prop up other teams and tell me how bad we have it. I wasn't the one writing the articles that Snyder had lost the team and ended up with a worse record than his first year there and the last year of the coach he replaced. We quickly forget the backlash and articles written about how Snyder wanted his son to replace him, i'm sure there was zero turmoil when they hired a new AD to find his successor and chose someone other than who he wanted. I'm sure nothing any program in the history of football is worse than what Frost inherited. Not Penn State with scholarship restrictions, not Baylor trying to avoid the death penalty, not Kansas State hiring a different person than their legendary coach wanted. Nada. Riley was so bad he tops it all, yet he was so good his culture is still here 2 years after being gone. The excuses are dizzying and they all end up canceling each other out.

Let's think with our heads here not with our hearts for a bit.

"The media, in most cases, knows very little about how a big time football program operates."

Don't know if I agree with this. Think they know exactly how it works. Just think they do not express fact relative to program issues to keep their informative doors open. This sort of reporting detrimental to the fan base.
I recall a certain long-established, well-respected news paper, whose name I will not mention but begins with, "New York," and end with, "Times," didn't report anything negative about Saddam Huswein during the Iraq war. Their excuse was they were afraid they'd lose their Baghdad bureau and not be able to report the news. :O O:

It's certainly a catch-22 but if NU sports reporters say to many negative things about the home team, they're going to lose readers. And I'm not sure it's fair to say anyone knew how bad it was under Riley and quite honestly, I don't know it was as bad as everyone now thinks it was. Hindsight is 20/20.

history of football is worse than what Frost inherited. Not Penn State with scholarship restrictions, not Baylor trying to avoid the death penalty, not Kansas State hiring a different person than their legendary coach wanted.
That is a bold statement where you at Penn St or Baylor? Were you at practices? No way was it that bad. I agree it is culture issue but I do not think it was as bad as the picture you are painting,

Change is hard no question.

Frost has taken ownership of the team, I don't think anyone can question that. The rebuild is just going to take some time if it is to be done right. No one, including me, is going to like how this looks sometimes.

This is not like most other transitions in the following three areas...The Penn State and Baylor transitions, IMO, are the closest to what Frost was handed here because it starts with the roster, culture and a complete rebuild.

First area: Roster management

We have turned over almost 100 players, either moving on, graduating or not even making it to campus in the last two seasons including the transition period. No top Power 5 school can survive that successfully. First you have to figure out who you have, then do they fit, then recruit to the gaps. not an easy task and we show every game that we still have some huge gaps in this area. It's getting better. Momentary flashes of brilliance, followed by head smacking decisions and errors

Next area: Schemes

We changed both our offensive scheme and our defensive schemes at the foundation level. There were no coaches left to transition this. It was sink or swim for every player and coach and we did have some that drowned. There are still players on the roster that had 5 position coaches in 5 years. That is tough to work through and eliminate habits on a dime.
Back to roster, those players left may, or may not have fit the new models. So you are playing the best guys in a scheme they may not fit long term. There is no depth and in the Big Ten there is no easy team, other than Rutgers this season. Every other team is bringing their A game and wants to keep Nebraska as bottom feeder. Learning on the job is tough, mistakes will happen.

The one positive thing I have seen is that despite the end result, there are more good play calls, with poor execution, than complete busts this season. We are inches and feet short, not yards and scheme short. We only had 2 penalties in the first 3 quarters against Wisconsin and the pass interference was questionable at best. We now are missing open receivers, not trying to get receivers open.

Last area: S&C

We totally changed our approach here too. This is probably going to ruffle some feathers but there are literally 100's of S&C theories on getting the best results. We are trying to completely revamp and change players bodies. Couple that with inexperience and this too is not a 1-2 year fix. It will take time and possibly some tweaking to get it right. I have no idea as a layman if our Nebraska Power approach is the right one. It sounds good, it looks good, but we haven't seen the results on the field yet. We still don't have a pass rush, our line is still getting pushed around, our QB bulked up and looks slower and 'off' so is this the final product? I hope not. Next season with 3 years in the program for some of these players should tell the tale as both experience and S&C should be measurable on our game results.

Long story short...as I started Change is hard, it will take time. It will be painful. At the end of the day I would much rather have a valley and come back up to compete for National Titles, than settle for just trying to win the West like the current IA and WI programs. Their case is as empty as ours, even though they are stable programs, we can and should aim higher.

It is comical to me how much Husker fans prop up other teams and tell me how bad we have it. I wasn't the one writing the articles that Snyder had lost the team and ended up with a worse record than his first year there and the last year of the coach he replaced. We quickly forget the backlash and articles written about how Snyder wanted his son to replace him, i'm sure there was zero turmoil when they hired a new AD to find his successor and chose someone other than who he wanted. I'm sure nothing any program in the history of football is worse than what Frost inherited. Not Penn State with scholarship restrictions, not Baylor trying to avoid the death penalty, not Kansas State hiring a different person than their legendary coach wanted. Nada. Riley was so bad he tops it all, yet he was so good his culture is still here 2 years after being gone. The excuses are dizzying and they all end up canceling each other out.

*** a lot of times when I read your stuff ever since Frost got here. I am never sure you are actually all that sold on Frosh and his staff. You say he is the right guy, but you don't like a lot of what he/they say.

I guess I think every situation is unique. KSU, PSU, and Baylor are their own problems. Nebraska has their problems. If we do want to talk those teams though 2 of them had/have more raw talent than Nebraska has/had. PSU and Baylor have not been some overnight success. Each team has taken some time to get going. Franklin needed a new OC to get things going. KSU is sitting at 6-4 right now with games against TT and ISU. They probably finish 7-5. They could lose to TT and ISU though. Sorry I agree with pretty much everyone that Klieman took over a better situation at KSU than what was going on at Nebraska.

I mean a month ago everyone was all hyped on how great Herm Edwards was doing I posted this.

ASU is sitting 5-1 right now they most likely finish 7-5 maybe 8-4. They could go 6-6. They have Utah, UCLA, USC, Oregon St, Oregon, and Arizona left to play. They only game left on that schedule that I would say is probably a win is Oregon St. I don't think they beat Utah or Oregon. It depends which team shows up to play for USC and UCLA. Arizona is a rivalry game who knows about that game.

Right now Herm is sitting 5-5 and has lost his last 4 games.

I guess what I am trying to say is I don't look at what other teams are doing and say "how come" all the time. I am just worried about what Nebraska is doing.

A couple of things about the Wisconsin game. My observations from being there.
1. I do agree that if they play like this all year long they probably have 2-3 more wins.
2. I think that is the best they have looked running the ball all year. The o-line is slowly getting better. The perimeter blocking was good.
3. More than ever I think we are short on talent at key areas that has been discussed. RB, WR for sure and linebacker.
4. Wisconsin is a completely different team when J. Taylor isn't in the game.

I am as pissed as anyone about the losses to CU, IU and Purdue. They should have won at least 2 of those games. Those loses are on Frost and staff. They need to do better. I think they came into this thing thinking it was going to be just like UCF. I think they have been humbled and know they need to do better. I think it is a new experience. A learning experience.

Our “problems” are no worse than what Kansas State and Klieman inherited, certainly not in year 2 of a new coach and new AD. They certainly aren’t worse than what was going on at Baylor where they were trying to avoid the death penalty. It’s just another narrative and form of marketing propaganda like “they didn’t squat” or “their fat was going up and muscle down” or “buy-in” to calm the masses. I get it.

If we play like we did against Wisconsin, we beat Colorado, Indiana, and Purdue. Why were they able to buy-in then but not other times? Why was buy-in not an issue at the end of 2018? Why was Saturday the first time I actually saw improvement in guys like Martinez, Mills, Thomas, etc. since 2018?

There’s mirrors everywhere in north stadium, it’s time to look in one of them.

I don’t understand either, but my hope is this was the light coming on from a team standpoint.

Nothing could be as bad as what Frost inherited. [Mostly sarcasm]

Mike Riley is the Mike Riley of college football :Biggrin:

A couple of things about the Wisconsin game. My observations from being there.
1. I do agree that if they play like this all year long they probably have 2-3 more wins.
2. I think that is the best they have looked running the ball all year. The o-line is slowly getting better. The perimeter blocking was good.
3. More than ever I think we are short on talent at key areas that has been discussed. RB, WR for sure and linebacker.
4. Wisconsin is a completely different team when J. Taylor isn't in the game.
Yes
Yes
Agreed but RB ... injuries occur but losing Washington and Robinson would be tough for any program. I does go to say something about recruiting character.
Pray that Taylor declares for the NFL draft … although their backup Watson might be there next version of Taylor.

Think about the RBs Wisconsin has churned out - Melvin Gordon, James White, Dare Ogumbawale, Corey Clement and Derek Watt.

Sipple makes a statement in the above article he wrote that irritates me and should irritate all Nebraska fans. I quote

l

"But that would be an overly simplistic way to size up the situation. He inherited a mess so unwieldy that it's difficult to convey in limited space."

If as Sipple says he " inherited a situation so unwieldly" where was he and all the other sport writers. Why were they not so informing the Nebraska fan base of the mess within the Nebraska football program/sports department if that is what existed? Is not the free press supposed to be the eyes and ears of its reading public reporting fact. I do not recall one article written by those following the program suggesting an "unwieldy mess" in the last xx years. Guess what I am saying to that press is show some b**ls and report what you see and hear. Your readers would appreciate some honesty in reporting. We are tired of hearing sunshine pumping bs relative to practice performance, S&C performance, etc. Nebraska has a football fan base with a very, very high football IQ resulting from watching Osborne coached teams for years. Report what you see and hear allowing the fan base to deal with the facts---please.
This is the exact reason that I do not get all of the angst at Dirk Chatelain. If people were reasonable and read his whole articles this stuff would not be a surprise. Most of the press pumps everything up and we all get unreasonable expectations.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back