• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Injuries: Is a change in Turf the answer?

HuskerSuperGenius

Scout Team
5 Year Member
I will throw out the question for the board.

We have had a lot of injuries, attributed to many things.

I wonder if we should revisit the issue of playing on turf since they can do marvelous things with heated grass fields in cold weather areas (See Green Bay field).

For reference DONU uses Second Generation Field Turf with cork instead of tire for filler installed in 2013 I think.

Here is a graph from a study of football injuries (NFL) from 2006-2012:

You will notice that there is no statical difference between surfaces although a trend for an increase from left to right.

I will also live you with a link from a paper from Stanford quoting a higher incidence of ACL injuries on Field Turf compared to grass.

Note there is never been a higher incidence of injuries on turf with soccer players.

I would also like to look at what type of shoulder pads we wear to see if there is any data about differences in shoulder injuries by manufacturers since we seem to have a lot of shoulder issues this year. If any one knows what kind we wear I would love to know.

GBR.

Note there is never been a higher incidence of injuries on turf with soccer players.

Great stuff! For clarification, do you mean there are more injuries to soccer players that now play on Field Turf than before when playing on grass?

Also, what is this Matrix Turf you speak of and where can we get it?!! Seems to be better than any other surface including grass.

Great stuff! For clarification, do you mean there are more injuries to soccer players that now play on Field Turf than before when playing on grass?

Also, what is this Matrix Turf you speak of and where can we get it?!! Seems to be better than any other surface including grass.

No increase in injuries on turf noted amongst soccer players versus grass surfaces in any study ever.

Matrix Turf:

Baylor University has it.

Last edited:

maybe we should just take all the fake turf, and real grass out, and just have a dirt lot. Could be fun in a rain storm, and dirty.

The Dallas Cowboys seem to like it. Cal has it, too. It doesn't sound like the turf was to blame for a sudden spike in injuries.
I wonder how they mitigate the carbon black factor turfs like this had in the past.

Last edited:

I wonder if we should revisit the issue of playing on turf since they can do marvelous things with heated grass fields in cold weather areas (See Green Bay field).

For reference DONU uses Second Generation Field Turf with cork instead of tire for filler installed in 2013 I think.

View attachment 32838

You will notice that there is no statical difference between surfaces although a trend for an increase from left to right.

I will also live you with a link from a paper from Stanford quoting a higher incidence of ACL injuries on Field Turf compared to grass.

I would also like to look at what type of shoulder pads we wear to see if there is any data about differences in shoulder injuries by manufacturers since we seem to have a lot of shoulder issues this year. If any one knows what kind we wear I would love to know.

GBR.

Interesting study. Thanks for posting. My youngest son is an orthopedic surgeon so I'll run it by him at some point for anecdotal information if he has any. He's more interested in elbows and shoulders from a pitcher's perspective but deals with football knees, hips and ankles as well.

From a father's perspective, I watched 25 years of soccer play of my sons. They were both All-State so the competition level was very high. I don't recall any knee injuries of the players. One broken leg. One broken ankle. And one strained MCL. The latter happened to my oldest son in the State semis which they won. He was out for the State Championship game. The broken leg was a friend of his - almost lost his leg - pretty gruesome but another kid's Dad was in the stands who happened to be an MD and he prevented the leg from having a short-circuited blood supply.

Turf and natural grass fields were used.

Last year we had a lot of players out with S&C injuries. Maybe that's the case this year as well? Hard to know since Frost doesn't reveal anything about injuries.

View attachment 32838

GBR.
Living in Wisconsin ... until this year (under a new coaching regime) Packers had (as compared to the rest of the league) an inordinately amount of injuries as compared to the league average.

A lot of media attention is being brought to how healthy the Packers are this year under LaFleur versus McCarthy. I am starting to believe injuries may have more to do with practice patterns/habits than it does the surface you are playing on ... don't forget ... the teams spends 10x of its time on its practice fields than it does on Memorial Stadium!

Living in Wisconsin ... until this year (under a new coaching regime) Packers had (as compared to the rest of the league) an inordinately amount of injuries as compared to the league average.

A lot of media attention is being brought to how healthy the Packers are this year under LaFleur versus McCarthy. I am starting to believe injuries may have more to do with practice patterns/habits than it does the surface you are playing on ... don't forget ... the teams spends 10x of its time on its practice fields than it does on Memorial Stadium!

Most of the time it is the Hawk Center which is also Field Turf, no?

View attachment 32838

GBR.
The rate in there is a about 1 injury per 1000 athlete exposures. 7 games per year with 70 players would mean a difference of about 1 injury every 2 seasons. At that incidence rate, how would you even tell?

Bottom line is no, we should not revisit playing on turf.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back