• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Head Coach

Yeah I agree 100% with all of this. The head coach is the face of the program. And he needs to maintain an image. Discipline starts at the top. I dont know if enforceable but players need to abide by a hair code also. I hate the celebrating after making a defensive play on the field. That is what they are supposed to do! Especially when you are getting beat.

To the bolded, I get it. Wisconsin did it a little bit, but only on important plays. Nebraska needs to get to the point where they consistently make the plays they should and the plays that matter and I'll still be OK with a celebration on a big 3rd or 4th down stop, turnover, etc. Tackling a guy after an 8 yard gain on first down should not be celebration worthy.

Welcome. I have noticed the dip and wondered if was even legal on campus.
I looked it up. All forms of tobacco are prohibited on campus.

If they try to enforce this, they won't have any students left on East Campus.

Last edited:
Welcome. I have noticed the dip and wondered if was even legal on campus.

That being said, I trust Frost to do what's best. I also believe these two things to be true:
1) Winning will make it all okay.
2) Continued losing will make it all go away.

Not as of Jan 2018

I wonder if he keeps the inside of his vehicle clean, or if his office is a mess. I bet there’s a fry under one of the seats. I’ll write a detailed post later how that fry is a metaphor for the season Nebraska has had and why it’s important to speak out about it.
What's a fry?

I'm new so bear with me or as one of my coaches used to say, "Bear down out there!" (lamenting my fooling around with hitters when I could dispatch them with three pitches, etc.)

I certainly appreciate the effort that goes into the extraordinary insight from a lot of you. The humor as well. The rancor is frustrating but understandable. The moderators do a great job.

I wasn't going to join this board - no need - but one thing is bothering me so I did. ( Well, actually there are many...but that's for another time...) I'm not looking for agreement just going to get this off my chest because I've been disappointed in Frost's pressers.

1. Shave the day of the game. You look like a hobo from the sidewalks of San Francisco. YOU ARE THE FACE OF THE PROGRAM. Show some respect.....and no, I'm not an old fogey. And you are no longer a player, Frost.

2. If you're still chewing or dipping, drop it - now. How does that set a respectable standard for your players? Don't smoke, boys - no weed....yeah, I dip but that's different. Double standard much? How'd that work out for Tony Gwynn? ( I don't give a rat's --- what you do in private. You are a public figure.)

3. You're 'Belichickian' monotone obfuscation is not worthy of your position. Engage the public - they are behind you. ( I realize pressers are not favorite parts of being the Head Coach etc. but it comes with the territory so use them as an asset. Particularly for Nebraskans.)

Frankly, none of the above are priorities nor do they really matter in the larger scheme of things but they are pet peeves of mine. By reference, the last thing I am is an old fart stuck in his ways even though this post might sound like it. Winning does cure a lot of things and so far the performance of this team has been objectionable - so objectionable I didn't watch the Wisconsin game. That says something in and of itself. I'm a lifelong Nebraska fan. My parents and all our relatives are Nebraskans going back several generations. We left because Dad was a career military (Air Force) guy. I was born in Columbus. They were from Gordon and Merna.

Now to the real purpose of this post.

I've heard it two games in a row: "I'll have to watch the tape because I was a too busy talking with my offensive staff to set up our next offensive sequence of plays." This was in reference to questions about the defense.

A lot of you will disagree with this because there are countless examples of coaches like Frost that concentrate on one side of the ball. I get that. I understand that. I've got no real problem with it. However, if I am playing for you as my Head Coach on the defensive side of the ball and you don't have a clue about the defense dynamics that are occurring in the game and not collaborating with the defensive coordinator ( whether it's Chinander or not ) except for "when to take time outs" we've got a major disconnect. You and me. I want your attention, dude. I'm playing for you. Carry on with the offensive staff but pay attention. You might have something to offer. After all, YOU ARE the HEAD Coach. You are MY Head Coach. The DC works for you.

Besides, when he says his offense does this or that but the defense only did this or that and they score enough to win and the defense didn't hold enough to win, how the ---- does that sound? Hey, I got the offense churning but the defensive didn't stop their churn....I don't like this. Know enough about your defense, Head Coach, or go be a $5M
a year OC somewhere. Nit-picking, I know, but it's a pet-peeve.

OK, that's it. Meaningless for most of you but my chest has been set free. ( Yes, I am an ex-D1 athlete fortunate enough to have played for Hall of Fame coaches in a couple of sports. Football was not one of them after HS. I broke my wrist the first play of one season (QB) and broke my ankle the first play of another season (kickoff return). Football gods were apparently pissed. I still have an indentation in my forehead from my days as a cornerback, tho. So, I guess I have a little street cred in football - certainly not like a lot of you.

Thanks - don't be too hard on me. I promise to do cartwheels down the middle of the highway when NU boys start playing football and taking names.

Wow. Just wow. You asked to not be to hard on you, so I will try my best. This is the dumbest post I have seen in a long, long, time. I can't believe it is even real. You just criticized a football coach because he doesn't shave, chews tobacco, is genuinely himself with the fans and media, and chooses to specialize and delegate on the sideline during a game. You do realize other people can read what you write on a forum?

Maybe worry about something really important relative to your ridiculous complaints like: should Lil Red stand on his head more or should fans only hold their shoes up for kickoffs if they use Dr. Scholls.

Lets see if we can address a few points that actually matter and see how Scott does. (All in my opinion of course.)

1) Is he a man of integrity? ----- Yes.
2) Is he a coach that can win? ----- He has in the past and will again. It is way to early to judge until he has a mature team of his recruits.
3) Does he love Nebraska? ----- Unequivocally.

When he fails one of these axioms let me know, otherwise get off the mans back.

Lol - man bun. Nice. Completely agree. Ultimately, I could care less but the totality of what I messaged is what was bothering me. As an athlete in college I had long hair in College and it was called "Cave Moss." And we were a Top Twenty -five team. I wasn't thinking about the large sample size of the general male population but rather the very small size of Head Coaches with elite programs. Maybe just grow a beard and keep it - I could care less and then add the man bun....
Speaking of pet peeves, you may want to look up "I could care less"

2) Is he a coach that can win? -
HCSF had been a head coach and 3 have been losing records. It makes his 13-0 look more like an anomaly. I am not sold on him being a winner anymore.

I think there is a great divide on the team. No evidence

Last edited:

wow.......cherry pickers, cheap shots, exaggerators, pile ons, taking things out of context, sophomoric simplifications, several illogical syllogisms, sarcasm, dead horse beatings, mischaracterizations, mountains out of mole hills, french fry micromanaging metaphors, band wagoners, a few obvious solipsists, even some Shakespeare......

all in response to some personal pet peeves that I specifically said had nothing to do with the larger scheme of things (Winning) nor should be priorities relative to holding the defense accountable.....

Precious responses for my first post. :Welcome:

LOL

wow.......cherry pickers, cheap shots, exaggerators, pile ons, taking things out of context, sophomoric simplifications, several illogical syllogisms, sarcasm, dead horse beatings, mischaracterizations, mountains out of mole hills, french fry micromanaging metaphors, band wagoners, a few obvious solipsists, even some Shakespeare......

all in response to some personal pet peeves that I specifically said had nothing to do with the larger scheme of things (Winning) nor should be priorities relative to holding the defense accountable.....

Precious responses for my first post. :Welcome:

LOL

If they weren't important, why did you post them in the first place?

The OP makes fair points. Being professional in exchanges with the media is not too much to ask, nor is saving the dip for more appropriate times. The wardrobe and facial hair are a little more subjective but I think it’s fair to point out the contradiction between Coach Frost’s commitment to details and excellence vs the way he presents himself sometimes. The other thing to me is, if you’re winning championships and going undefeated like he was at UCF, you’ve earned a lot of latitude. Coach Frost hasn’t earned that yet at Nebraska though he’s proven himself a good coach in other settings.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back