• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tackling

Aside from some poor tackling, I saw some improvement today. 500 yds of offense was good but the interception and unable to convert on 4th down was disappointing. The effort in the kick off return was poor and a few did not stay in their lanes. Mills 188 yds rushing showed effort and the line blocking showed improved effort. Still mistakes continuously cause us loses. Frustrating for the staff I am sure as they practice it but for some reason it has not carried over game time.

There is something going on other than fundamentals. This Fall I watched some 8th grade neighborhood boys who never played tackle football before make great form tackles by the third game and I seriously doubt any will receive a scholarship offer to play at Nebraska 4 years from now. I suspect every Husker on the team were making similar or better form tackles when they were in 8th grade.
And as the coaching saying goes...even if you’re not coaching it, you’re allowing it to happen. Or something close to that.

I'll say there have been very few missed tackles due to poor effort in my opinion but I'll go over the film again to see if I can spot it being a little more prevalent. The poor angles and bad technique I can attribute to lack of experience (youth or lack of experience at the position) and expect that to improve with time/experience. The biggest issue with the missed tackles is the lack of gap assignment so when one person misses, there's no immediate threat to the runner allowing for more open space after the first missed tackle. We missed tackles today but there weren't any home-run plays from Taylor off of those. That is why we were still competitive and had the offense executed, especially inside their 30, we would have won today. That is how HCSF wants the game to be played, we were just out executed today and lost to a better team. Very close game though and one of our more inspiring team efforts of the season.
I would agree they didn't get home run plays out of our missed tackling but what they did was stretch singles into doubles and triples on a regular basis. I contribute so much of this to "strip the ball" tackling attitude where they almost always seem to be tackling at the arms and chest area. So many times we two, three and more defenders stand the ball carrier up only to see him carry them for 3 more yards because nobody takes out the legs. Bootle had another play where he could have stopped a guy for a two yard gain but instead tried to "hit" him down instead of using his arms to wrap up. They guy went for another 10 yards.

On the contrary our 4th down play with Mazaur was a text book example of great tackling. The Ohio State defender went low on him and stopped him dead by taking out his legs. If that had been our tacklers the running back would have simply carried forward into the end zone.

There is something going on other than fundamentals. This Fall I watched some 8th grade neighborhood boys who never played tackle football before make great form tackles by the third game and I seriously doubt any will receive a scholarship offer to play at Nebraska 4 years from now. I suspect every Husker on the team were making similar or better form tackles when they were in 8th grade.
At that level they are taught to bury their shoulder pads in the guys belt buckle. Here we are concentrating on stripping the ball too much.

For anyone with the ability to do so, rewatch the game. Look at how many 'missed tackles' start with a kid in position to make the tackle using correct form. I'm guessing it's around 50%.

Long story short, we need to clean up our tackling technique. Best way to do that is tackle, to the ground, in practice. This team CAN'T do that right now because it's too banged up. We also can clean up the other half of the issue by having kids who're where they're supposed to be more often and not lunging at a runners feet. A lot of that is kids not playing fast because they're not confident in what they need to do. That actually looked improved to me yesterday.

It's not all doom and gloom guys.

At that level they are taught to bury their shoulder pads in the guys belt buckle. Here we are concentrating on stripping the ball too much.
Spot on. If I knew how to work Hudl I would attach video where b team 8th graders are hitting, wrapping, driving and swarming. This has been a common theme with our defense the last 20 years. When the momentum swings the fundamentals fade.

I'm happy when 25% of our tackles are textbook. The key is with good form you may not look textbook, but you stop them dead in their tracks long enough to get help.

Aside from some poor tackling, I saw some improvement today. 500 yds of offense was good but the interception and unable to convert on 4th down was disappointing. The effort in the kick off return was poor and a few did not stay in their lanes. Mills 188 yds rushing showed effort and the line blocking showed improved effort. Still mistakes continuously cause us loses. Frustrating for the staff I am sure as they practice it but for some reason it has not carried over game time.
We would have a winning record now if we knew how to tackle!! It's frustrating and disheartening to watch and we've been watching poor tackling for many years now! We are either not strong enough to be good tacklers or best tackling technique is not being taught enough. I thought the coach said he was getting back to basics!!? The offense, outside of the penalties and turnovers have scored enough points to win but our defense sucks, we don't have one yet. We will be lucky to beat Maryland.

Last edited:
Our defense needs depth and talent almost across the board, but most urgently in the LB positions. In most systems and in the 3-4 in particular, if your LB's aren't making tackles in the running and short passing game, you have problems, and our LB's just aren't all that good.

As for tackling overall, the one way people learn to tackle is by tackling. With our depth, I have no doubts that our practices are designed to put in schemes and recognition and to avoid depleting what depth we have.

How do we get better? Keep building depth and start to put guys through tougher practices -- the guys who survive and tackle are the guys who play. But to do that we need more guys who can play at the top of the depth chart and down the depth chart who have the potential to play, because people will get hurt.

Not every practice can be a meat grinder, but if we don't have enough of them in the spring and the early fall, we'll keep seeing the kind of soft tackling we've seen for what seems like forever

And continued improvement from the tail end of 2018. Don’t care who is NFL, CFL, or Arena caliber, I want our guys to get better. Until today I haven’t seen that yet. I did see some guys look better today.
and another linebacker quit the team. Sure feels like one step forward, two backwards right now.

We are #75 in Total Defense. That is better than last year but you wouldn't know it by our W-L record. There are ten B1G teams ahead of us:

1​
Wisconsin (Big Ten)
8​
6-2
2​
Ohio St. (Big Ten)
8​
8-0

6​
Iowa (Big Ten)
8​
6-2
7​
Michigan (Big Ten)
9​
7-2

9​
Penn St. (Big Ten)
8​
8-0

13​
Minnesota (Big Ten)
8​
8-0

18​
Indiana (Big Ten)
9​
7-2

20​
Michigan St. (Big Ten)
8​
4-4

36​
Northwestern (Big Ten)
8​
1-7

67​
Illinois (Big Ten)
9​
5-4

Total Offense we are #66. These are the five B1G team ahead of us:

6​
Ohio St. (Big Ten)
8​
8-0

32​
Indiana (Big Ten)
9​
7-2

47​
Minnesota (Big Ten)
8​
8-0

52​
Penn St. (Big Ten)
8​
8-0

62​
Wisconsin (Big Ten)
8​
6-2

BL: We are a Defensive Conference. We HAVE to have a good to great DEFENSE if we want to win the West let alone the entire B1G conference. We aren't even close yet. We can't win with the strategy of out scoring our opponents. The 2019 season has proven that!

Last edited:

We are #75 in Total Defense. That is better than last year but you wouldn't know it by our W-L record. There are ten B1G team ahead of us:

1​
Wisconsin (Big Ten)
8​
6-2
2​
Ohio St. (Big Ten)
8​
8-0
6​
Iowa (Big Ten)
8​
6-2
7​
Michigan (Big Ten)
9​
7-2
9​
Penn St. (Big Ten)
8​
8-0
13​
Minnesota (Big Ten)
8​
8-0
18​
Indiana (Big Ten)
9​
7-2
20​
Michigan St. (Big Ten)
8​
4-4
36​
Northwestern (Big Ten)
8​
1-7
67​
Illinois (Big Ten)
9​
5-4

Total Offense we are #66. These are the five B1G team ahead of us:

6​
Ohio St. (Big Ten)
8​
8-0
32​
Indiana (Big Ten)
9​
7-2
47​
Minnesota (Big Ten)
8​
8-0
52​
Penn St. (Big Ten)
8​
8-0
62​
Wisconsin (Big Ten)
8​
6-2

BL: We are a Defensive Conference. We HAVE to have a good to great DEFENSE if we want to win the West let alone the entire B1G conference. We aren't even close yet. We can't win with the starategy of out scoring our opponents.

Why not? The #66 in offense is the bigger reason for 4-6.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back