• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2 year extension for Frost

There is a lot to be concerned about with the program right now. I'm rooting for Scott but I just wonder if Nebraska's best days are behind it.
If you wonder if we’ll have a multi National Championship run, then that’s probably not realistic. I seriously doubt anyone thought it was realistic prior to 1994.

There is a lot to be concerned about with the program right now. I'm rooting for Scott but I just wonder if Nebraska's best days are behind it.

Definitely behind it, if Osborne is the measuring stick. Though I could have told you 15 years ago we'd never come close to matching that again.

I'll root for Nebraska to do well. And I don't need a national title ever again to be pleased.

The ones who would have to pony up for a buyout will have 10 million more things to consider, so they might tone it down some. Idiots will remain idiots.

I have no doubt we'll sell out season tickets for next season. But (and it's still a "but") if we fail to make a bowl game following next season, I'd be awfully concerned about ticket sales in year four. And that would potentially speak loudly to those who drive decisions.

I personally fail to believe enough large money donors were clamoring for Frost to be fired to drive an extension today. Sure, there are plenty of unhappy people -- but I still feel 98-99% of Husker fans are not ready to give up on Frost. I'm not. But I do feel next season is huge. And I absolutely would have waited one more year -- through next season -- before determining the extension. You'd have a difficult time finding a coach anywhere that struggled to win games through three seasons and ended up being a success at that same school. So just to put this all to rest, I very much hope we see a winning season in 2020.

I have no doubt we'll sell out season tickets for next season. But (and it's still a "but") if we fail to make a bowl game following next season, I'd be awfully concerned about ticket sales in year four. And that would potentially speak loudly to those who drive decisions.

I personally fail to believe enough large money donors were clamoring for Frost to be fired to drive an extension today. Sure, there are plenty of unhappy people -- but I still feel 98-99% of Husker fans are not ready to give up on Frost. I'm not. But I do feel next season is huge. And I absolutely would have waited one more year -- through next season -- before determining the extension. You'd have a difficult time finding a coach anywhere that struggled to win games through three seasons and ended up being a success at that same school. So just to put this all to rest, I very much hope we see a winning season in 2020.
If we struggle next year, are you ready to give up? Would 2 more years of buyout temper that? If those answers were yes, then mission accomplished with 2 year extension.

I've already said this, but what the heck, I will again. I don't buy this.

I don't buy the idea that you need to invest even more heavily in Frost due to fear of failure from a future unknown hire.

I absolutely believe Nebraska is capable of hiring a coach along the lines of PJ Fleck, Chris Klieman, or Matt Rhule. There are always coaches like this out there waiting for a leap from a lesser program. Successful coaches. Yes, there's also the chance we land another dud. But you can't allow fear of the unknown to dictate the present. That said, it would all be easier if Frost simply succeeds and this discussion and worry dies.
The argument I made earlier and referenced again in here is if you get a championhip-caliber coach at Nebraska they'll move on to somewhere easier to recruit to when they have the opportunity. If you're championship caliber, and not originally from Nebraska, in the modern world, why would you stay? I'm not saying we might not luck into a high caliber coach, but if we do, I don't believe he would stay anyway, so you'll be back in the pool and then each time face the same low odds of getting a decent one that we've faced since 2002, well, arguably 1997.

We've already got a couple of decades of data on this. And the argument that the guys doing the hiring just screwed up is made weaker by the fact it's now a clear trend. Anyway, the agent of any quality up and comer who might consider the Nebraska job definitely made feelers to intermediaries during those other searches, so it's interesting the best coach we might have gotten if not these folks was who, Houston Nutt?

Sorry, but the examples you cited actually don't mean that much. First, none have actually won anything major yet, though as I write this Baylor is schooling OU so maybe one will. Klieman is already being eyed by other programs after less than a full year, Fleck could easily too. Baylor, so close to abundant recruiting pools, is arguably already a destination school. That is, he could easily recruit well enough there to create a program that competes for a playoff berth. So he wouldn't have to move.

And unlike those schools, the measure of success at Nebraska is almost impossibly higher. Candidates for sure know that if they go to KSU or Minny and have a decent record they can stay as long as they want, and either downsize their own career expectations but live a good life, like a Kirk Ferentz, for example, or keep their viability for promotion or lateral moves to other schools. They don't actually have to make the playoffs or - gulp - win the thing to be fully accepted, like coaches will at Nebraska for at least another 20 years, when people who saw the 90s are finally all prattling on about glory days in nursing homes and no longer listened to.

Maybe that's what happened to Minnesota with their 7 national championships by 1961. They tied for 1st in the B1G in 1967 and then played .500 ball ever since with not a single sniff of even a conference championship. Like Nebraska, they are far away from recruiting hotbeds. It used to be with a handful of strong, well coached farm boys you could b competitive, but not anymore.

So when I say Nebraska will never hire and keep a championship level coach, I don't really mean never. I just mean for about as long as it's taking Minnesota to come back, which is 52 years and counting at this point.

If we're not going to have to have a championship coach anyway in my lifetime, I'd just as soon leave it in the hands of a guy who actually WOULD stay if he gets successful, and who already has contributed a ton to Nebraska football. What's another couple of years of patience that this extension represents compared to half a century anyway.

I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion I'm stating. Everyone wants to have a "take all comers, we can compete with anyone" mentality, which isn't all bad, except when it clouds judgement about the right way to manage a program. And certainly nobody ever lost money underestimating the homer-centric views of Nebraska football fans, as you more or less point out discussing how Las Vegas is regularly lifting Nebraskans wallets.

I'm not some crackpot in this. It's being talked about by more important folks than me. Heck, even Tom Osborne mentioned it. In fact, it's not the only reason Frost will be given a lot longer than other coaches might be to succeed here by the powers that be, but I'm certain it's one of them.

Last edited:
I think frost is the man to get this done. I just think the 7 year original contract was supposed to be what gave him the runway. In 2017 after Frost signed a 7 year contract to coach us, if I told you at that time that towards the end of 2019 he would be signing an extension, what would you think his record would have been? Certainly not sub .500 after following a sub .500 season.
I think the FSU situation changes the narrative
This is a “let there be no doubt this is our man” statement

The ones who would have to pony up for a buyout will have 10 million more things to consider, so they might tone it down some. Idiots will remain idiots.
There is no $10million. If HCSF runs it into the ditch and gets fired in the next two years he doesn’t take that money. He runs a full page apology, well, if there were still newspapers, he apologizes and hopes people forget he is walking away with $35 mill. If he is doing well after a few years he is extended beyond ‘26 anyway and if he is killing it, it won’t be for $5 measly mil a year.
This is Moos’s way of saying “I know where this thing is headed!” Unfortunately no one knows anything anymore.

And I absolutely would have waited one more year -- through next season -- before determining the extension. You'd have a difficult time finding a coach anywhere that struggled to win games through three seasons and ended up being a success at that same school. So just to put this all to rest, I very much hope we see a winning season in 2020.
This is about recruiting TODAY. It wasn't possible to wait.

I have zero problems with this.
I think it's exactly the right thing to do. I applaud Moos and the admin knowing to do it, and the bigwigs with whom it was discussed as well. Who knows what will happen. I'm not saying I know Frost will succeed. I have a ton of questions and obviously want to see better play. But this was the right thing to do right now.

Was reading for soneone to post this and then stopped. I think it's quite clearly for recruiting. The record this year have obviously put his tenure in doubt. And I don't follow recruiting closely but it looks too be tough sledding at the moment, so why not do this?

I don't mind it because as I've already said on here I think Nebraska will find it extremely difficult to find or at least keep a quality coach to replace him anytime soon. So whether he's good ir not, may as well double down on Frost on the chance it will help him recruit. If and when we have to replace him it will be with a coach matching the quality of an average of Callahan, Pelini, and Riley. Nebraska's ability in that respect is known.

Agreed 100%.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back