• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is this a Power 5 staff?

yeah I agree Davis and Barry have not played up to near the level this staff needed. But when they flow past the play and the offensive team runs to right where they are not comes down to coaching IMO.
I can by that argument but Barry isn't the worst offender. Barry is still pretty safely our best ILB'er. So as a coach you are handcuffed. If you take them off the field you are playing inferior plays, also Barry helps immensely in getting lined up if you watch pre-snap. Miller and Honas are absolute liabilities in coverage and Miller often over pursues but who do you replace them with? By this point Miller was moved around so much he has no natural instincts defensively (started at DE, moved to OLB'er, moved to ILB'er as a predominant pass rush prospect when first picked up) he is what he will always be. Barry has played for multiple seasons and is what he will be imo, Honas was drastically slowed down after his injury, which is a shame as he was starting to look comfortable right before the injury at ILB'er. After those 3 you have walk-ons and undersized freshman. At OLB'er Davis still has the best pass rush moves after engaging a blocker but that's really all he is useful for (offers nothing in the way of coverage and very little outside of engaging a blocker against the run). Behind him you have Caleb Tannor who is smaller than our top corner, Domann who has floated between safety and linebacker, and Nelson who hustles but is often out of place/position because of it.

One of the main aspects to coaching is having a receptive, teachable room. The vets you need to set the tone but when they don't or aren't capable of being the example, the cupboards are relatively empty for people to fill the spot outside of our freshman

One where they rank in D overall right now is 37th at UCF. I have no clue who the coord is and never said he would be better here. 37th is much higher than Chin was able to put up in his tenure there.

NU before today is ranked 73rd overall. That may have got it done in the Atlantic...it will not in the BIG. They have not improved over last year except overall where NU ended up...what was it? 102nd over all?

It's sloppy D players out of position constantly, poor adjustments if any.

It's not hard to look up stats, Pops. They were 39th in total d and 42nd in scoring d his first year at UCF.

So with the turn over margin being better...that has not helped in any way...we are looking at back to back to back 4 win seasons. May that worked in the Atlantic it will not in the big. I do not have to be a coach to see that.

Chin at best is a middle of the pack coach. With SF here why not try to surround him with the best money can buy? If this is truly the rebuild everyone wants to say it it...well

Just like anything..If I'm gonna build a scooter I'm not looking at a used motor i'm getting one that fits best with the scoot and it will be new.

Surround yourself with mediocre then guess what? That's what we become. It shining though at NU right now.

It's the American, Pops. Not the Atlantic.

If you think I claimed Chins as a top notch DC you have zero reading comprehension. So either you're dumb or you're playing dumb to suit your agenda.

My Claim: The jury is still out for Chins at Nebraska, he is underperforming here but I can't think of a scheme/defense that would work to the standard we want with the defensive deficiencies we have. He did however previously put up elite DC numbers in the categories this staff deemed most important, thus he has potential to be what we want/need him to be but can't fairly be judged here due to our personnel issues.

IF YOU CAN'T GRASP THIS CONCEPT, THEN DROP IT. It's not complex but you're being difficult and intentionally obtuse which is moderately annoying but mostly just sad.

Also, What scheme/defense would show Elite results with our defensive deficiencies? You keep avoiding the question and trying to deflect.
Can you link what categories this staff deemed most important? Or are you cherry picking something that the UCF defense did well and using that to bolster your support of Chin.

Can you link what categories this staff deemed most important? Or are you cherry picking something that the UCF defense did well and using that to bolster your support of Chin.

There was a quote when they were at UCF that they were less concerned with yards and more concerned with tfl, turnovers, etc.

Using the press conferences that the staff spoke about their priorities defensively (a topic chins was questioned alot about during his first media days and answers that both he, his defensive staff, and HCSF identified), but as I stated, I posted multiple stats from their tenures to show how non-representative the Total-D, and Scoring D didn't paint the whole picture, and questioned why cherry picking excluded all the other stats I listed that show improvement.

Unquestionably, having a high tempo offense puts more stress on the defense and thus is prone to higher yards allowed (thus skewing total defense) and points allowed (thus skewing scoring defense). This is very evident in their first year at UCF when the offense was more ball control and the D saw very high success in scoring D and Total D improvement, but when the offense was historically good the year after, both dropped off a cliff despite a marked rise in margin of victory.

If you're going to exclude something, have a reason for it. I have explained why I typically look at turnovers forced because the staff themselves pointed to that first, for what a successful defense looks like in their scheme.

From what I can gather the staff has potential but has been known to make excuses for their weaknesses. If we are banking on making progress by giving up big yards and points and trading that for some opportune turnovers, we are going to remain mired in bad football. That is not a recipe for good defensive football in the Big Ten. I would be willing to also bet that that is not the kind of defense our head coach really is wanting. Hey I get it when you run an uptempo offense it comes with the risk of wearing out your defense. Do we really run that up-tempo anymore? Unless you have Ohio state athletes on both sides of the ball I fear that we are going to continue to suffer on both sides of the ball. I see nothing out of our defensive coaches right now or recruiting that point to obvious improvement down the road.

In Frost’s post game presser he said he likes our chances in games when the D gives up 30 or less.

With that being the goal, I guess we’re not far away from a winning defense.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back