• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The roster flip

I think that's a good point. He wanted a quick flip and go at UCF, for the most part. He knows he has a lot of runway in Lincoln with a 7 year contract.

But where's our Killins, Hughes, Johnson? Heck, he had a ton of guys first team all-conference year 2. Are we going to have anyone? Why could they improve Dredrick Snelson from 17 receptions/136 yards/2 touchdowns in 2016 to 10 starts in 2017 with 46 receptions/695 yards/8 touchdowns? We were begging for any WR to do that for us.

I just don't get the development lacking here and being extremely evident there.
I don’t know about players per se, but let’s compare schedules and opponents. Wouldn’t you say that if UCF played in the B1G, that last Frost team would lose to WIsky, Iowa, OSU to name three teams. I think the entire physicality of having the B1G schedule that Nebraska has had would certainly beat UCF at least 3 times that year. It is no comparison defensively from AAC and PAC, to what SF is seeing in B1G. And the offenses in the B1G, week in and week out, are much more difficult to hold up against defensively. IMO, that is the big difference between UCF and Nebraska. The B1G teams are miles better as a conference

Well, it's interesting. We tried that in 2016 and it got us firing Banker to bring in Diaco so that we could run a 3-4 which was more suited for the guys we have on the roster. Fast-forward to 2019 where we've been recruiting to that defense the past 4 recruiting cycles and we now have people saying "we need to move to the 4-3 we have people better suited for that."

We currently do have have analysts on our coaching staff. Up to others to decide if they are helping or hurting I suppose.

According to the Media Guide we have three analysts, all offensive, all who have been with Scott from UCF.
Frank Verducci O-line
Mike Cassano Passing game and WR
Dustin Haines (No specific area given: Was QB at Oregon).

1. Given that O-line and WR are two of our larger offensive weakness in terms of development here are two analysts who could be "changed". Especially when "analyst" in my mind means some one with:
a. outside the program (not UCF or DONU) look at what you do.
b. senior person: Retired HC or former coordinator; person with lots of experience.

2. No defensive analysts at all, my goodness that's a deficit of hugh proportions compared to other programs and should be filled right away with people like those I describe above.
The more talent we have helping us, the better we can compete against other teams!

And PS: You are not reading what I write.
In my other post I DID NOT mention firing ANY COACHES because I don't want to fire any coaches.
I want to get better by adding to the talent we have thought the use of analysts, like other big programs (Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, Clemson, etc) do. I older experienced coaches like Saban, Sweeney, Meyer (When he was coaching) etc can make use of analysts then a younger staff like ours should avail themselves of this tool as well.

GBR

GBR

Last edited:
I’m also curious as to why no other RB can start over Wandale. I didn’t expect him to be getting more running plays than Dedrick Mills. How come no other RB is getting many plays? I know Wandale is not going to make it through every season with the amount of running plays they are giving him now. RB should not be that difficult for freshman to get at least 10-20 carries in a game.

I have mostly ankle hi socks, but we all know to be really successful at this level of football with maximum effort and linguistic soup type of responses you need knee high socks in the appropriate colors to solidify your verbalistic approach to football footwear. Or something.
Doesn't matter what you wear as long as it's BLACK, BABY!

FWIW - In terms of 2019 starts for SF recruits, (excluding 2AM) - I get Daniels (9) Jurgens (9), Robinson (9) & Noa (8) Britt (7), Tannor (4) Mo (4) DWilliams (1), & Vedral (2) Mills (3) = 56 total

*edit to add Mills

Nine Knights are listed in the original post through 13 games ... similar number of players listed above through just 9 games - might be interesting to look at this at years end, hopefully after a bowl game, so the sample size will be comparable.

Last edited:
FWIW - In terms of 2019 starts for SF recruits, (excluding 2AM) - I get Daniels (9) Jurgens (9), Robinson (9) & Noa (8) Britt (7), Tannor (4) Mo (4) DWilliams (1), & Vedral (2) = 53 total
Now that you bring it up, I also realize Dedrick Mills is missing from both of your lists. With Mo out hasn't he been the top on the depth chart?

Now that you bring it up, I also realize Dedrick Mills is missing from both of your lists. With Mo out hasn't he been the top on the depth chart?
good catch... will add Mills (3)

Last edited:
Sorry, I misread the data there. I thought you were counting starts for both 2016/2017 and 2018/2019. It was just separated by classes. My bad.
Ya, I guess I was just giving this staff 2 recruiting cycles to get guys on the field for their second season. I would never judge a staff by their first class that is usually thrown together quickly on how they are doing. Again though, I just found it fascinating they were able to find 3 times as many starts on a 13-0 undefeated team than they can for Nebraska with some of the narratives being thrown out.

Just odd. We will get there.

I don’t know about players per se, but let’s compare schedules and opponents. Wouldn’t you say that if UCF played in the B1G, that last Frost team would lose to WIsky, Iowa, OSU to name three teams. I think the entire physicality of having the B1G schedule that Nebraska has had would certainly beat UCF at least 3 times that year. It is no comparison defensively from AAC and PAC, to what SF is seeing in B1G. And the offenses in the B1G, week in and week out, are much more difficult to hold up against defensively. IMO, that is the big difference between UCF and Nebraska. The B1G teams are miles better as a conference
I guess I wasn't really comparing conference difficulty with this exercise. What got me to do it was a few reasons/excuses I hear:

1) Frost needs his guys
2) UCF was more talented than Nebraska when Frost got there

For #1... we have over a 70% roster flip.
For #2... if UCF had more talent, why could more of his recruits first 2 years get on the field? Expanding a little, it worried me that maybe we aren't recruiting that well if #1 and #2 are both true. How could a team with more talent allow more new recruits on the field sooner?

I would agree with you that UCF would struggle in the B1G. I'd also agree that 2017 UCF was taking 2017 Nebraska behind the woodshed. But why haven't we hit on more recruits? I think there are some big differences on why UCF had success and Nebraska isn't quite yet. I think 70% roster attrition was too much too fast leaving us extremely young. But i'm also concerned that on the recruiting trail we are struggling a bit. 2018 class almost 50% gone already, and we are only at 13 recruits for the 2020 class when we wanted to be at close to a dozen by the time the first game came around.

According to the Media Guide we have three analysts, all offensive, all who have been with Scott from UCF.
Frank Verducci O-line
Mike Cassano Passing game and WR
Dustin Haines (No specific area given: Was QB at Oregon).

1. Given that O-line and WR are two of our larger offensive weakness in terms of development here are two analysts who could be "changed". Especially when "analyst" in my mind means some one with:
a. outside the program (not UCF or DONU) look at what you do.
b. senior person: Retired HC or former coordinator; person with lots of experience.

2. No defensive analysts at all, my goodness that's a deficit of hugh proportions compared to other programs and should be filled right away with people like those I describe above.
The more talent we have helping us, the better we can compete against other teams!

And PS: You are not reading what I write.
In my other post I DID NOT mention firing ANY COACHES because I don't want to fire any coaches.
I want to get better by adding to the talent we have thought the use of analysts, like other big programs (Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, Clemson, etc) do. I older experienced coaches like Saban, Sweeney, Meyer (When he was coaching) etc can make use of analysts then a younger staff like ours should avail themselves of this tool as well.

GBR

GBR
Our defensive quality control coaches help with the analyst stuff I think... but it is a bit offense heavy.

Where did I say you wanted to fire coaches? Not sure where you are getting that. Read everything you said and responded to it.

I’m also curious as to why no other RB can start over Wandale. I didn’t expect him to be getting more running plays than Dedrick Mills. How come no other RB is getting many plays? I know Wandale is not going to make it through every season with the amount of running plays they are giving him now. RB should not be that difficult for freshman to get at least 10-20 carries in a game.
Let's take a look:

2018 class:
Mo Washington - Gone
Greg Bell - Gone
Miles Jones - Gone
2019 class:
Wan'Dale Robinson - Stud
Dedrick Mills - Playing/Starting

Ronald Thompkins - season ending injury
Rahmir Johnson - redshirt

I think Johnson will be good, but much like WR, you basically lost your entire 2018 recruiting class at RB. You just can't have that happen. Wan'Dale is playing out of position having to run between the tackles for us. And while we need the ball in his hands as much as possible, it would have been great to not have him carry so much of the load. Mills doesn't have the wiggle Robinson has, and isn't as patient to find the holes as Ozigbo was.

Hopefully Johnson will be ready next year and some of the 2020 guys stick.

FWIW - In terms of 2019 starts for SF recruits, (excluding 2AM) - I get Daniels (9) Jurgens (9), Robinson (9) & Noa (8) Britt (7), Tannor (4) Mo (4) DWilliams (1), & Vedral (2) Mills (3) = 56 total

*edit to add Mills
Shoot, I didn't have the grad transfers on there since they weren't on Rivals list (like Trysten Hill).

Shoot, I didn't have the grad transfers on there since they weren't on Rivals list (like Trysten Hill).

Yeah... they've done well with transfers at both locations IMO.

as for RBs sticking - agree.... also disturbing how bare that cupboard was (aside from Ozigbo) when SF got here.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back