• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The roster flip

NU's talent may be better than UCF's but the gap in conference talent is probably wider in the B1G than the AAC.

People jumped on me when I said that Frost formerly had a good team in a crappy conference and now he has a crappy team in a really elite conference. But I stand by that sentiment.

It's not that the AAC is some bush league, NAIA-level conference. But it's not exactly the Big Ten or SEC, either. I keep saying it's the same logic as to why Boise State could whip up on a bunch of MTW/WAC teams and then beat Oklahoma in the one tough game they played all year. It really does hold true for UCF as well.

The other piece of this argument is the rank-and-file members of the Power 5 conferences. It's hard enough playing a team like Ohio State. It's even harder playing them after you've gotten beaten around by Iowa, Michigan State or Purdue for umpteen weeks. That's just the nature of Big Ten football. The AAC has some good teams, sure, but it's a lot easier to look good against teams like Houston when you fill the gaps with UConn or Temple. Harder to look like champs against Michigan after you've just knocked skulls with a bunch of 365 lb linemen at Minnesota or Wisconsin.

People jumped on me when I said that Frost formerly had a good team in a crappy conference and now he has a crappy team in a really elite conference. But I stand by that sentiment.

It's not that the AAC is some bush league, NAIA-level conference. But it's not exactly the Big Ten or SEC, either. I keep saying it's the same logic as to why Boise State could whip up on a bunch of MTW/WAC teams and then beat Oklahoma in the one tough game they played all year. It really does hold true for UCF as well.

The other piece of this argument is the rank-and-file members of the Power 5 conferences. It's hard enough playing a team like Ohio State. It's even harder playing them after you've gotten beaten around by Iowa, Michigan State or Purdue for umpteen weeks. That's just the nature of Big Ten football. The AAC has some good teams, sure, but it's a lot easier to look good against teams like Houston when you fill the gaps with UConn or Temple. Harder to look like champs against Michigan after you've just knocked skulls with a bunch of 365 lb linemen at Minnesota or Wisconsin.

The Big 10 has their dregs too. Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois in previous years, etc.

His OL was for the most part a bunch of returning guys. I think that helped him a ton. I just find it fascinating that on teams where they probably did have some talent, he was able to recruit 69 starts there for their championship run. And we are struggling to get more than 2 guys as full time starters.
I was going to suggest an experienced o-line may have been the difference in the 2nd season. I think hey may have won a lot of heir games close. A small margin in winnng and losing

Has Mo really not started any games? And if he hasn't, he has been pivotal in more than one game for us before his unceremonious departure (still pending I suppose). He very much looked like our Killins before everything going on this year.

I'm curious how injuries affected both sides. We seem to have a lot of injuries, and have for a while now. Though I don't follow our opponents closely enough to see if it's comparable.

WR has been an achilles heel for awhile here at Nebraska. I really don't get it since we are getting four stars in multiple classes and can't get them to help at all at the position that is easiest to contribute right away.

Honest question - if you watched our offense play this year, and you had been looking serious at Nebraska, would you want to come here? I mean, Spielman is one of the most electric players on our roster, and we go through HUGE periods of time where he's not even looked at. We aren't putting kids in the pros from the WR position from Nebraska, no matter what offense we're running. Our last 2-3 WR who were "successful" didn't even get drafted. We're hanging our hat on Enunwa as our most successful WR ever? New guys that come in cant sniff the field?

Just way too many flags there if I was an interested recruit....And I would think that that has got to be some negative recruiting going on in relation to it, because why wouldn't you if you were up against that.

Thats interesting. The flip side to that is what about the leaders of the team and the qualities of those players? Mike Hughes was a first round pick - we don't have one of those but maybe LJax will get taken higher than expected. Trysten Hill was a 2nd round pick - we don't have a DT making that type of impact. Shaquem Griffin (5th round pick) compared to ??? Mo Barry maybe? Tre'Quan Smith (3rd round pick) compared to our best WR in Stanley was an UFA. Jordan Akins was also a 3rd round pick.

So perhaps the quality of depth wasn't as good, so younger players could come in and make a more immediate impact at UCF, but the top of the our roster doesn't quite have the same level of talent? With players of that caliber, internal leadership maybe was less of an issue? Add to that a QB who made noticeable progress? If Martinez would be putting up numbers comparable to what Milton did his sophomore year, we'd be looking at this year much differently.
I actually did this exercise the other day...

Mike Hughes - Frost recruit
Trysten Hill - Frost recruit (rivals didn't show him as a commit, so i'm editing the OP with that)

Smith WR, Akins, TE, and Griffin brothers LB and DB all were not. Smith is probably our Spielman, Allen is making pro scouts drool, Jackson to your point is probably our Griffin, but we don't have an OLB like Griffin unless you count JoJo.

For me though, how are the Davis twins 300 pound four stars that can do backflips and get olympic trial qualifying marks in another sport not able to be developed if they can do it for Hill? How are all these WRs not having the same success their recruited WRs are? How is Martinez regressing and Milton finished 6th in Heisman voting? Just so many questions for me.

Has Mo really not started any games? And if he hasn't, he has been pivotal in more than one game for us before his unceremonious departure (still pending I suppose). He very much looked like our Killins before everything going on this year.

I'm curious how injuries affected both sides. We seem to have a lot of injuries, and have for a while now. Though I don't follow our opponents closely enough to see if it's comparable.
He started 2 in 2018 and zero in 2019 per Huskers.com. I didn't try to go into "he didn't start but was important" because that was subjective. There were a ton of guys I didn't get to count for UCF that had really good seasons, but didn't list a start so I just did the cut off as "starts".

Honest question - if you watched our offense play this year, and you had been looking serious at Nebraska, would you want to come here? I mean, Spielman is one of the most electric players on our roster, and we go through HUGE periods of time where he's not even looked at. We aren't putting kids in the pros from the WR position from Nebraska, no matter what offense we're running. Our last 2-3 WR who were "successful" didn't even get drafted. We're hanging our hat on Enunwa as our most successful WR ever? New guys that come in cant sniff the field?

Just way too many flags there if I was an interested recruit....And I would think that that has got to be some negative recruiting going on in relation to it, because why wouldn't you if you were up against that.
I think if I was a big bodied WR I for sure would. But I think the question you are asking is why guys like Malik Reed from Arizona committed to Wisconsin over us. We basically had him as a silent commit but he flipped last second to Wisky "because they put more LBs in the league than us."

We need results on the field at some point. Not a vision.

We run a lot of professional looks from our offensive formations. Unfortunately we are not running the 2-3 man combinations. Take a common professional route like the whip or arrow. Bread and butter WCO stuff. Used by most of the prolific spread teams. I don't remember seeing it in the last two years. We certainly have formations that can set them up. But nada. Same with our bunch looks. We don't actually run bunch plays.

Last edited:
1. Scott at UCF was very similar to The Bob Father at DONU in 1963. He inherits a team with talent that is under motivated and under coached in a league (AAC similar to Big 8) that is relatively easy to win. Then he presents them with an offensive system that is difficult to counter and a Heisman Trophy caliber QB to run it. (Milton vs Claridge: Dr Tom once said that Claridge was maybe as talented a QB as ever played at DONU, just didnt play in a system that showed it).

2. Coming here he found athletes that have played under multiple coaches and systems, no unifying direction in their collegiate careers except for one thing: losing!
The review of the defense by Hail Varsity today will make you want to cry in that in week 9, the defense still is not communicating even at a high school level. So LB's running a 4.3 won't get you anywhere if they cant learn who to cover 3/4 of the way through the season :(.
Our coaches must be so embarrassed thinking of the other teams laughing when they show our tapes to their offense.
DC Chin cant scheme when his players cant remember who their guys are and where they are supposed to go! ***, did you and your friends talk about this and what if anything you would do?

3. Historically Fleck is making a mistake playing all those freshman. One big year does not a future make.

It increases the chance for injury (they already lost their starting QB for the year) because freshman often aren't ready for Big Ten football.

DONU knows from experience that linemen benefit from physical maturity and S&C from the RS year.

And in the "modern era" players don't stay around for 4 and 5 years. They leave for the pros (see th DE for Ohio State, he is too good to play four years in college) or if they don't play a lot right away they hit the Transfer Portal.

RS players usually know why they are sitting out a year and have agreed to that plan for their future, especially with the four game rule.

GBR
Except the losing has only been with two coaches. Coach before that won a lot of games. So the losing just started to happen in the last five years.

I think if I was a big bodied WR I for sure would. But I think the question you are asking is why guys like Malik Reed from Arizona committed to Wisconsin over us. We basically had him as a silent commit but he flipped last second to Wisky "because they put more LBs in the league than us."

We need results on the field at some point. Not a vision.

That makes no sense to me, but then again neither does 'Twitter'.

I agree we need to win football games, but I would think it would be a fairly easy sell to try to get a kid bought in on the idea that they could be part of making a new history for Nebraska. You'd think it could be a fairly easy sell job.

We run a lot of professional looks from our offensive formations. Unfortunately we are not running the 2-3 man combinations. Take a common professional route like the whip or arrow. Bread and butter WCO stuff. Used by most of the prolific spread teams. I don't remember seeing it in the last two years. We certainly have formations that can set them up. But nada. Same with our bunch looks. We don't actually run bunch plays.
I think we need a couple of big-bodied receivers.
Except the losing has only been with two coaches. Coach before that won a lot of games. So the losing just started to happen in the last five years.

Awesome.

A sock trifecta.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back