• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Walk-on WR Matthias Algarin N

Seems like a pretty darn good athlete. Getting out-of-state walk-ons is fairly rare, so he is an intriguing and welcome addition to the 2020 walk-on class.

Always great to get serious speed in a walk-on. I believe his sister is here on the track team as well, so that's a connection to help get him here. He was getting offers from other schools to let him play both, but happy we got him (Wiscy for instance). May be getting scholarship money for Track to start and then football if he sees the field.

From the wiscy article:

"“I met with both programs and both are equally interested,” Algarin told Rivals. “Depending on what direction I want to take will determine who carries the scholarship. They said that if I played football that football would pay the bill. "

10.96 100, 7.2 60, 23.36 200, 21.4.25 long jump, 48-10 triple jump

supposedly ran a 4.4 at a summer camp, and I think a 42" vertical. Saw a shuttle number posted that was 3.88 (probably fast, but ridiculous even if a fast click on the timer)

Not a really small guy, and looks to me to be a Slot receiver

He averaged over one catch per game as a true freshman and was finally a WR commit over 6’0”, we could use him right now
Always great to get serious speed in a walk-on. I believe his sister is here on the track team as well, so that's a connection to help get him here. He was getting offers from other schools to let him play both, but happy we got him (Wiscy for instance). May be getting scholarship money for Track to start and then football if he sees the field.

From the wiscy article:

"“I met with both programs and both are equally interested,” Algarin told Rivals. “Depending on what direction I want to take will determine who carries the scholarship. They said that if I played football that football would pay the bill. "

supposedly ran a 4.4 at a summer camp, and I think a 42" vertical. Saw a shuttle number posted that was 3.88 (probably fast, but ridiculous even if a fast click on the timer)

Good catch. I forgot about the fact that if an athlete is on scholarship for track and plays in a football game, then the scholarship is converted to a football scholarship.

From the wiscy article:

I dig top end athletes! 23'10" is no joke!

From the wiscy article:

Really interesting considering we passed on Kautz. Those track numbers are about what a dozen kids can do each year from Nebraska (save the triple jump).

So, Algari:Nsmilie: committed to walk on - correct? (Welcome Matthias)

If so, that's similar to what Kautz was offered last year & DK instead chose a scholie to USD... point being, DK passed, not us.

Really interesting considering we passed on Kautz. Those track numbers are about what a dozen kids can do each year from Nebraska (save the triple jump).

Kautz was a guy I liked, but I like Algarin's a bit taller and maybe more projectible, and Algarin's tape shows me a guy who has good hands and more potential in the receiving game than Kautz.

I wished Kautz had taken a walk-on/track deal with us, but the added length Algarin has and the 42" vertical and that shuttle number makes me really think slot WR

couple of good catches from him running routes at our camp in that clip

Kautz was a guy I liked, but I like Algarin's a bit taller and maybe more projectible, and Algarin's tape shows me a guy who has good hands and more potential in the receiving game than Kautz.

I wished Kautz had taken a walk-on/track deal with us, but the added length Algarin has and the 42" vertical and that shuttle number makes me really think slot WR

couple of good catches from him running routes at our camp in that clip

Kautz just wasn't a football player which is why he didn't get the walk-on offer from us. I don't mind us passing on him. Just found it interesting we pass on him but take this guy. There's a couple guys in-state we are looking at to offer to walk-on that run 10.7s.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back