• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Improvement 2018 vs 2019

Had a lively discussion this past Saturday night in regard to a couple friends trying to hash out what was going wrong with this season. I tried throwing water on it a couple times with "at least we are 4-3 and not 1-6" and other things, but the reality is we just look a bit off. We came on an interesting topic, and I finally posed this question to the group;

"Let's just assume every coach wants guys that fit their system, let's just assume every kid needs more development and time in our S&C and nutrition program. But to me, a sign of a good coach is one that can make football players better. Not football players selected to fit their system only."

Here's the question, what players from 2018 to 2019 have improved their game? Keep in mind i'm aware we are judging all of 2018 and half of 2019, but I think there are some examples of guys getting better, but i'm curious everyone else's opinion here. Of the guys that played significant time this year and are needing to this year, or at a position where we need people to step up, who is better?

QB - Adrian Martinez
RB - Mo Washington
WR - Jaron Woodyard
WR - Mike Williams
WR - JD Spielman
TE - Jack Stoll
TE - Austin Allen
TE - Kurt Rafdal
LT - Brendan Jaimes
RG - Boe Wilson
RT - Matt Farniok

DE - Khalil Davis
DE - Carlos Davis
DE - Ben Stille
DE - Deontre Thomas
NG - Damion Daniels
ILB - Mo Barry
ILB - Collin Miller
ILB - Will Honas
OLB - Alex Davis
OLB - Tyrin Ferguson
OLB - Caleb Tannor
OLB/Nickel - JoJo Domann
CB - Dicaprio Bootle
CB - Lamar Jackson
S - Marquel Dismuke
CB/S - Cam Taylor-Britt

What guys would you say have improved from 2018 to 2019, let me know if I forgot someone.

Stoll is honestly the only one on offense I could come up with. On defense, I'd say the entire D line, Miller, Tannor, and Taylor.

Here's my stab at this. I have a lot of guys I am flat out just not sure one way or the other if they've shown noticeable improvement. Offense has none that I can tell and it is clear I favor the DBs in terms of where I see guys getting better.

I = improved R = regressed S = same NS = not sure

QB - Adrian Martinez R
RB - Mo Washington NS
WR - Jaron Woodyard S
WR - Mike Williams S
WR - JD Spielman S
TE - Jack Stoll NS
TE - Austin Allen NS
TE - Kurt Rafdal NS
LT - Brendan Jaimes S
RG - Boe Wilson S
RT - Matt Farniok S

DE - Khalil Davis NS
DE - Carlos Davis NS
DE - Ben Stille S
DE - Deontre Thomas I
NG - Damion Daniels NS
ILB - Mo Barry S (or R )
ILB - Collin Miller I
ILB - Will Honas S
OLB - Alex Davis S
OLB - Tyrin Ferguson R
OLB - Caleb Tannor I
OLB/Nickel - JoJo Domann I
CB - Dicaprio Bootle I
CB - Lamar Jackson I
S - Marquel Dismuke I
CB/S - Cam Taylor-Britt I

Stoll is honestly the only one on offense I could come up with. On defense, I'd say the entire D line, Miller, Tannor, and Taylor.
I was struggling with TEs, because they just aren't getting a chance. I think DL looks better, hard for me to tell if that's because we have an all-conference NG now or what, but certainly playing better than last year. I could also put in there that our entire defensive backfield looks better (if you include Domann) and Tannor looks better along with Miller.

I was struggling with TEs, because they just aren't getting a chance. I think DL looks better, hard for me to tell if that's because we have an all-conference NG now or what, but certainly playing better than last year. I could also put in there that our entire defensive backfield looks better (if you include Domann) and Tannor looks better along with Miller.

I think overall the defense is improved from last year. I was thinking before the season started that if the D could improve by around 30 spots in most categories that matter, this team would win a lot of games. I had no idea the offense would struggle the way it has. Which is surprising because I have always scored a lot of points on Madden so I assumed it was because of my brilliant offensive mind.

Here's my stab at this. I have a lot of guys I am flat out just not sure one way or the other if they've shown noticeable improvement. Offense has none that I can tell and it is clear I favor the DBs in terms of where I see guys getting better.

QB - Adrian Martinez R
RB - Mo Washington NS
WR - Jaron Woodyard S
WR - Mike Williams S
WR - JD Spielman S
TE - Jack Stoll NS
TE - Austin Allen NS
TE - Kurt Rafdal NS
LT - Brendan Jaimes S
RG - Boe Wilson S
RT - Matt Farniok S

DE - Khalil Davis NS
DE - Carlos Davis NS
DE - Ben Stille S
DE - Deontre Thomas I
NG - Damion Daniels NS
ILB - Mo Barry S (or R )
ILB - Collin Miller I
ILB - Will Honas S
OLB - Alex Davis S
OLB - Tyrin Ferguson R
OLB - Caleb Tannor I
OLB/Nickel - JoJo Domann I
CB - Dicaprio Bootle I
CB - Lamar Jackson I
S - Marquel Dismuke I
CB/S - Cam Taylor-Britt I
You are about spot on to what i'm thinking. Entire secondary. DL most likely has improved. Not really a single guy on offense. A LB or two, certainly Tannor.

What i'm trying to get at is... why is Fisher such a good coach that he didn't need guys for "his system" where he could make Domann, Dismuke, Bootle, and Jackson better without waiting for his recruits? I'll admit, Fisher was a guy I wasn't sure how he'd resonate here, not active on social media and a different personality. But I don't think anyone could argue the results he's getting on the field. On the flip side, why can't our coaches make our two tackles that had/have over 20 starts each better? What happened with Martinez? Why can a WR not step up or more importantly why can't a WR where it's the easiest position to step on the field and play right away emerge from our 2018 or 2019 recruiting class?

QB - Adrian Martinez R R
RB - Mo Washington NS I
WR - Jaron Woodyard S NS
WR - Mike Williams S NS
WR - JD Spielman S I
TE - Jack Stoll NS S
TE - Austin Allen NS S
TE - Kurt Rafdal NS NS
LT - Brendan Jaimes S S
RG - Boe Wilson S S
RT - Matt Farniok S S

DE - Khalil Davis NS I
DE - Carlos Davis NS I
DE - Ben Stille S S
DE - Deontre Thomas I S
NG - Damion Daniels NS I
ILB - Mo Barry S (or R ) R
ILB - Collin Miller I S
ILB - Will Honas S R
OLB - Alex Davis S R
OLB - Tyrin Ferguson R R
OLB - Caleb Tannor I I
OLB/Nickel - JoJo Domann I S
CB - Dicaprio Bootle I I
CB - Lamar Jackson I I
S - Marquel Dismuke I I
CB/S - Cam Taylor-Britt I I
I used your system, I like it. Mine are in bold next to yours.

Last edited:

I think overall the defense is improved from last year. I was thinking before the season started that if the D could improve by around 30 spots in most categories that matter, this team would win a lot of games. I had no idea the offense would struggle the way it has. Which is surprising because I have always scored a lot of points on Madden so I assumed it was because of my brilliant offensive mind.
For as much flack as Chinander gets.... I think our defense looks a lot better. Tough to say with what happened against Ohio State and Minnesota, but I think we look improved in a lot of areas.

For as much flack as Chinander gets.... I think our defense looks a lot better. Tough to say with what happened against Ohio State and Minnesota, but I think we look improved in a lot of areas.
If our O improved as much as our D has, we would have 1 loss on the year and a real shot to run the table the rest of the year.

We've had issues. OSU may be the best team in the country right now and they are just firing on all cylinders. I can live (right now) with a big loss to them. Minny, I can't explain. Effort? Certainly out coached.

If our O improved as much as our D has, we would have 1 loss on the year and a real shot to run the table the rest of the year.

We've had issues. OSU may be the best team in the country right now and they are just firing on all cylinders. I can live (right now) with a big loss to them. Minny, I can't explain. Effort? Certainly out coached.
Agree, i'm not going to sit here and act like year 2 we need to be pulling a miracle against the Buckeyes. 2018 Ohio State game was nice, but they probably used that as motivation to not allow that to happen again. But the Minnesota debacle and the Colorado meltdown was just mind-numbing. I don't get it.

Agree, i'm not going to sit here and act like year 2 we need to be pulling a miracle against the Buckeyes. 2018 Ohio State game was nice, but they probably used that as motivation to not allow that to happen again. But the Minnesota debacle and the Colorado meltdown was just mind-numbing. I don't get it.
I expect a few CO type games in the near future. This is a young staff, we're going to make mistakes that cost us games like CO. Games we should win or were winning and then WTH.

Minny though is unacceptable. It's not losing that's frustrating (well, it is, but again I can handle a loss) it's getting blown out by an average team. They should be running that tape everyday everywhere anyone in the program can see it. "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE AREN'T READY" scrolling across the screen. Let everyone see the disaster over and over again.

Considering our offense can't stay on the field...….the defense has made huge strides. I actually thought the defense would be a strength this year partially based on some familiarity and the offense being productive. These three and outs are making it tough on this defense. That probably helps explain the Minnesota and Ohio State games.

Considering our offense can't stay on the field...….the defense has made huge strides. I actually thought the defense would be a strength this year partially based on some familiarity and the offense being productive. These three and outs are making it tough on this defense. That probably helps explain the Minnesota and Ohio State games.
Agree, when you think about it, Frost and Chinander have both already came to the concession that our defense is going to have to play a lot of snaps (even when our offense is good) and a lot of points happen and time of possession will rarely favor us. But when you combine that with an offense scoring 9 ppg the last 3 games, it's not awesome.

Defensively, I think the D-line and the secondary has improved.

Offensively, people have either haven’t improved or regressed. But something is going on there. The play calling was more creative last year. Maybe it’s just a factor of not having receivers.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back